“Great walk and slightly scary”

Penang National Park (Taman Negara Pulau Pinang)
Book In Advance
Taman Negara Rainforest Day Tour
Ranked #12 of 218 things to do in Penang Island
Hove, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great walk and slightly scary”
Reviewed 18 January 2011

Bumped into the national park by accident when getting the bus from Georgetown to see what the rest of the island was like. The trails go in different directions so its up to you to choose what you fancy seeing (eg lighthouse/monkey beach/Meromictic Lake etc). Sadly I was limited for time so chose to go what I thought was a short route via a canopy walkway. The canopy walkway wasn't too high up and probably isn't spectacular compared to other places I've seen on TV but I enjoyed it as I've never been on one. I then chose to go round in a circle back to the entrance rather than double back. The pathways got worse, quite a lot of mud and rocks to clamber over and slippy (I was only in flip flops!). But I loved it, it felt wild and a bit dangerous. Didn't see many creatures apart from a few trails of ants.It was as humid as hell, I was soaked through and only had one bottle of water. I didn't bump into others for what seemed like ages but was only 30-40 mins. When I finally got back to a safer trail I was a walking sweat ball wondering past Malays who had only just started who didn't have a drop of sweat on them! It took me about 2 hours on this trail, my friend who waited for me wasn't impressed (he didn't go on it because he's been to 'better' ones in Australia - I'm glad he didn't come as he would have complained continually). I just thought it was a great mini adventure.

Visited December 2010