All reviewsgolf courseplay golfgaia restaurantgolf breakpro shophole coursesindoor poolbreakfast buffetmain buildinglos lagosround of golfgolfers paradisegreat facilitiesspa facilitiesexcellent golfgolf resortsan roque
Reviewed 24 July 2018 via mobile

Me and my partner have recently come home from our holiday to Hotel Almenara. On our arrival the Concierge helped us check in and took us and our bags to our room. The room itself was fantastic! More than big enough for two of us, we had all the amenities we could ask for. Every day the room would be cleaned, and this was done to a exceptionally high standard. The pool area was also very clean and the staff made sure everyone could find a sunbed and were given complementary towels.
We had gone bed and breakfast and the breakfast was outstanding! The choice of food available changed every few days and was always fresh and delicious. We had also dined at the Gaia restaurant. The food we had was faultless and the service very good. On most days we had also ordered drinks and snacks at the pool bar. The service was exceptional and the food was very lovely.
My partner did use the golf facilities at the hotel on a few occasions. He thoroughly enjoyed playing on the golf course and said how well kept the course was and friendly the staff were. Further, I had used the spa and had a facial. Well worth the money and all the staff throughout the hotel went beyond their roles. An absolutely fabulous and unforgettable holiday, thank you to all the staff who had made our stay so lovely!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Victoria R
Reviewed 13 July 2018

Hotel Almenara always worth a visit. Been going there for many years.The staff are always very helpful friendly and polite. Great swimming pool with pool bar. Always a pleasure. Would recommend it to anybody.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels
Rafael M, Director de Recepción at Hotel Almenara Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2018

Dear nekkralc,

We sincerely thank you very much for sharing your comments on Tripadvisor.es.

We are very happy that you have had an excellent stay in our hotel. Such a gorgeous comment like that one encourages us to keep the good work up and carry on offering our guests a magnficent service.

Looking forward to see you here shortly.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 10 July 2018

This is really a hotel aimed at golfers and not really a place for a family holiday. They have a pool but kids are only allowed in there for 1 hour every afternoon! Had I known that I would have booked somewhere else. The staff are not very accommodating except for the restaurant manager Juan who was absolutely fantastic with my 5yo. food was acceptable. If you want to play golf with your mates in the sun then this is a great location but I wouldn't recommend it for a family holiday.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank ra59233
Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

If you play golf , this hotel is situated in a golf course
The rooms are ok , a bit old looking now but confortable
Breakfast is not fabulous , it is a buffet but you have to ask them to refill the dishes
There is no service and you have to make your own tea or coffee
The dining room is ugly and you don’t feel like staying there for too long
If you enjoy walking , it is a great area

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank mimidoumi
Reviewed 22 June 2018

It's been 9 years since I stayed here, and now I remember why...

Whilst this hotel is classed as a 4 Star, I am convinced the 4 stars are made up like this

- location = 3 stars
- service = 1 star

My wife and I stayed here for 9 nights, have booked via telephone, I asked was the pool heated, and was categorically told that it was. On arrival at the hotel, I just checked over facilities etc. and explained that I was told the pool was heated, unfortunately Sara the reception manager explained that it wasn't, disappointingly I asked was whether the Spa pool heated and Sara confirmed it was (well, that is something I guess).

Our room was clean, and the air conditioning worked well, although the furniture was a little battered and bruised, it was sufficient, we were here to see family so wouldn't be spending lots of time in the room anyway.

Breakfast is a very low rent affair, you can't even get a proper latte made for you, it's all out of a machine, which does a pretty poor job really. So even though our breakfast was included, we ended up eating at the Yacht club for pretty much every morning, which is a fantastic place for breakfast, and generally to sit and have coffee. the coffee is superb too.

We had a swim in the Spa after a couple of days, and found it to be really tired and shabby, the changing rooms were littered with dirty towels, and the whole spa area felt a little dirty, and really uncared for, but at least it was a pool we could swim in... right? Well, no, actually, because during our 9 day stay, the spa pool was to be closed for 7 days, as it was having its annual Legionella cleanse, and would be closed. That is something Sara certainly didn't tell me when I checked in, nor was I told this when I booked via telephone, nor did the Almenara website state that information. It's obviously not important enough to tell you guests and potential guests.

Top it all off, I was hacked via the WiFi network, someone logged on the network hacked into my laptop, and harvested some saved ID and passwords from my FireFox web browser, this led to in excess of £4000 of credit card fraud. Yes, the hotel network does have some small print saying it is insecure, however, they should still take active measures to secure the network, using something like your room number and surname at the very least, so that if you are engage in any nefarious activities you can be tracked down.

I asked to have a meeting with a member of management to discuss the hacking and a number of other issues I outlined above. I arrived at reception, and Sara came out to see me, I outlined all the points above, and to be frank the response was shocking, she wasn't vaguely interested in hearing what I had to say. With every point I raised she attempted to refute it, in saying "no one would tell you the pool is heated", it later transpired the number on the Almenara website routes through to central reservations in Madrid, so how could she be so sure that "no one would tell you the pool is heated", if she didn’t know who I spoke to, or heard the conversation, or had trained them personally, how on earth did she know, she hadn't even looked at who I booked with, when I booked, or anything, so to categorically state that, is utter nonsense, and clearly demonstrates, the unwillingness to help/care or rectify. Interestingly Sara felt that as she’d told the pool was heated on arrival, and only because I asked, she thought that was acceptable, and failed to understand that I had travelled 9 hours to get there, and that I should have been told when I asked at the time of booking, she failed to understand that principle, and well, I was shocked that someone with that mindset could be in hospitality management! I asked if I could speak to one of their IT guys to discuss the hacking, no one ever called me, or left a message. They simply do not care, and that is why this hotel is completely second rate.

It is such a shame really, the location of this hotel is fantastic and demands it be better, the amenities could be absolutely superb with some care and attention. If this hotel were up to scratch we’d return multiples times a year, as Sotogrande is an epic place. My wife and I are fortunate enough to have stayed in some lovely hotels around the world, and generally, we spend money in the restaurants and bars etc. but the mere fact we didn't eat in any of the restaurants, or use any of the bars, or even go to the included breakfast speaks volumes about this place.

My recommendations are, if you must stay here, choose the cheapest room, don’t go for a B&B package, and don’t use the WiFi, or better still stay at the Gran Hotel Elba Estepona, it’s a far, far better hotel, and the same price.

Room Tip: All rooms are pretty much the same, choose the cheapest one
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple