All reviews retreat center sweat lodge yoga meditation north of puerto vallarta room was very clean and comfortable las cuevas beach big room week long retreat wonderful week jungle ocean hammocks mexico vacation waves excursions
Reviewed 16 March 2017

It was a long uphill climb to our room but the view was spectacular from our balcony. In room coffee would have been much appreciated for this senior lady who had to make the long, strenuous climb early each morning to retrieve her caffeine fix. The dining room staff were attentive to our needs and accommodated my dietary preferences nicely. The big disappointment for me is that I was not a part of any group retreat taking place and what I came for was my own definition of wellness. I had so-o-o-o- looked forward to using the jacuzzi in the spa area as well as the one poolside. However the poolside jacuzzi had working jets but cold, cold water as the heater element was broken. I was told it was on order. The spa jacuzzi had nice warm water but no working jet system. When I mentioned this to the front desk they did detail maintenance to work on it but they were unable to fix it. Another woman who was staying there told me this is her fourth time there and the jacuzzi jets in the spa area have never worked as far back as she can remember. My stay was seven days and I did not allow this to steal the joy from my wonderful trip to Mexico but I was very disappointed.

Room tip: If you cannot climb a lot of stairs or uphill ramp, be sure to tell them when reserving a room.
Date of stay: February 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 15 March 2017

Let's be honest. There is NOT AC in every room, even if you pay for it and it is advertised that way. That's what we found out when we arrived. In addition, they tried to slap us with an additional $50 during checkout (so a total of $100 each) for a "tip fee" that they forgot to tell us about. But the icing on the cake for me was when one of their employees thought (because I had tan skin) that I was a local trying to eat for "free" off of the buffet. She questioned me in Spanish (which I don't speak). When I informed the front desk, they merely shrugged their shoulders.

With that said, the property is right on the beach and a beautiful easy 15 minute walk down to the town. The food is absolutely delicious. And what i loved is that they don't force gluten or dairy free on you like other resorts. Instead, they accommodate special diets separately. Bar staff are friendly.

The front desk service is lacking, however. For that reason and for being questioned for looking like a local while serving myself food during meal time, I'm not sure I'll be back.

Room tip: It's not necessary to pay extra for an ocean view. You won't be in your room except to sleep.
Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
MardeJade_Chacala, Owner at Mar de Jade Retreats Wellness Vacation, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2018

Dear Guest,
I am sorry your experience with us was not 100% satisfactory. We pride ourselves on our warm and friendly service and it's disappointing that was not the feeling you walked away with.
Please know that we spoke with the staff member attending the buffet that you mention, and she said that she was trying to start a friendly conversation with you (she only speaks Spanish) as she does with many of our guests. At no moment, however, did she assume you were a "local trying to eat for free" as she knew you were a guest and that is not a situation that ever happens. I am curious, if you don't speak Spanish, as you say, how did you know that was what she was saying to you in Spanish? It sounds like a misunderstanding due to a language barrier.
As far as A/C we do have it in all of our Ocean and Garden category rooms. Our guest rooms with loft don't have a/c, however, this is clearly stated in the description of the room on our website. Our rates for groups, which you were a part of, do include gratuities, which is displayed separately on the bill. It wasn't an additional fee, but rather part of the total you were quoted. However, at your request they removed the gratuity from the total.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you on another occasion to show you the warm hospitality that we pride ourselves on.

Reviewed 13 March 2017 via mobile

The property is beautiful, clean and everyone is so incredibly friendly. Accommodations are lovely, beds are comfortable and each room is equipped with AC. There are safes in the rooms and cold and hot drinking water dispensers available throughout the property. Morning and afternoon meditation and yoga sessions are enjoyable and taught by well trained instructors (Yoga mats and props are provided). The food is buffet style served three times a day. While the breakfasts and lunches are great, I found the dinners to be mediocre at times. In addition, the one draw back to buffet style eating is that you have to eat at a specific time so keep that in mind if you enjoy more flexibility with your meal planning. They prefer that you eat sooner than later, and if you wait, there may not be much food left.
There are several additional activities available on the premises as well as excursions away from the resort. The sweat lodge was enjoyable and the massage sessions were fabulous!
This is a great place to go away and relax and have time for yoga, meditation and self reflection. That being said, this is not an ideal place for small children.

Date of stay: March 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 February 2017

Can’t say enough good things about this place. The facility is fantastic and the people who run it can’t be more helpful from the bartender who made the best Sangria I have ever had to the people in the kitchen and servers. The food was fantastic they feed you three times per day and there is always enough healthy food for everyone. We stayed in one of the new rooms and it was perfect three ladies had more than enough room and the view from our room was spectacular.
Unfortunately, there is one thing that took a little away from our trip and why I'm giving it four stars instead of five. There were two families there with very small children that were out of control to be relaxing with a good book or during one of your yoga sessions hearing small children screaming and crying, or the parents letting them run around and swing on cement above the pool and rock area. But, the worst part in my opinion as well as a lot of others there at the same time was letting the kids swim in the pool naked (and hearing the parents say it was ok for them to pea in the pool) as well as putting them sit on the bar with no underclothing on and then the poor bartender being put in the situation of not being able to say something even though she knew it was SO unsanitary. It is NO place for small children and the resort should post that.
But, even with that I plan on going back with my group next year to enjoy all this resort and all of the wonderful things that it has to offer.

Date of stay: February 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Kathy G
Reviewed 17 January 2017

Very good Sufi Dances of Universal Peace week January 2017. Mar de Jade is north of Puerto Vallarta. Van ride about USD 25 each way. American Airlines cancellations made us a day late and cost a MEX 1800 taxi ride. Wonderful views of sunset over the Pacific. Comfortable room with king bed and balcony, bath with separate toilet. Very good healthy food served buffet style for a group of 80. Meeting rooms upstairs in main building and a separate building. Attractive pool, kiddie pool and large and comfortable hot tub. Right on the ocean. Town a short walk up the beach.

Room tip: All the rooms we saw had bay view.
Date of stay: January 2017