All reviews horse riding great weekend horses geese zebra gate picnic interact lodge bush
Reviewed 12 December 2017

We enjoyed this place a lot, from the welcome by the owners the giraffes. This place is truly beautiful and you can wonder around the grounds and interact with the dogs, cats and geese. We went horse riding and saw antelopes and zebras - a unique experience for us international travellers.

Stayed: December 2017
Thandile1, Owner at Thandile Country Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2017

Thank you so much for the positive response and we feel privileged to have had you as our guests.
Enjoy the rest of you stay in South Africa and we hope to see you again in future.
Kind regards
Cobus & Magdel Daniel

Reviewed 13 November 2017

The Hosts and staff were friendly, quite and very peaceful place, they made sure we settled in and were available for any requests. The history around the place was one of the things that attracted me the most but I have to say it was a great and beautiful weekend for us, we are definitely going back soon. nothing beats waking up to the sound of nature. Boitumelo

Room Tip: Master bedroom beautiful
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Magdel D, Owner at Thandile Country Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2017

Thank you so much for the posiitive feedback. Hope to welcome you back sòon.

Reviewed 18 September 2017

My partner and I had booked for a horse safari at this lodge as a half way stop to our destination. We both love horse riding and the lodge looked gorgeous so we were very excited, until we arrived. Firstly we struggled to find the lodge as the sign was so faded. We then sat waiting at the gate with no one in sight. We eventually went in to find they had booked our ride and it was in the book for that day, however they hadn't prepped the horses as they "thought it was the next day". We were then told it would take an hour to get them ready, which is obviously not ideal due to this being a pit stop so we requested a refund and left. We were very disappointed with the lodge as it is nothing like the pictures, the horses that were around were not in the best condition and it was just upsetting to be let down.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Thandile1, Owner at Thandile Country Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2017

Dear Kirsti, Thank you for the feedback. I trust you spend equal amount of time on providing positive feedback when you have received good service. As far as the facts are concerned: you are totally correct. I dropped "the ball" in that I had incorrectly recorded your appointment. I'm terribly sorry about the inconvenience and the disappointment in caused as I fully understand how one relies on appointments to be honoured especially when you've made them so well in advance.
The fact that you arrived at a locked gate with no-one to welcome you, is simply the result of no-one expecting you. Our gates are locked for security reasons and as I explained to you, our horses take time to herd and prepare for a ride as the drought is bad and our horses are distributed all over the farm ( 250 hectars +) to ensure that they feed as well as they possibly can under the circumstances. To place a comment on the state of our horses as if it is an informed view, however, is simply unfair. If you questioned the state of our horses for the 10 minutes you were here while I organised the refund, you would have learnt that we are also a Horse rescue centre and the few horses you found here that day, are all kept close to the lodge under surveillance, the majority of which are hand fed while they receive daily medical treatment for some ailment/injury. Had you asked, I would have loved to show you our establishment which I'm sure would have given you a full picture of what we have to offer. Hopefully there is a next time... Kind regards

Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

After months of travelling to work, sitting in traffic and just getting wound up with the stress of Jozi this place was jus idea, my cousin and I had such a pleasant stay! We were greated by the friendly owners at night on our arrival and offered a bit of history with regards to the place, with accessible books to read at our lusuire. Our room was beautiful, clean and tidy.

The food!! It was too delicious, freshly made with a good variety(im vegetarian).

We spent sometime at the pond with the ducks, i was afraid of the horses hahaha, but they turned out to be friendly. Wartogs and even giraffes walked around! Sooo refreshing. As i sat on the stoep one morning looking at the trees i remember feeling like my stress elevate and leave me, i felt lighter... thats what a vacation should do. If i could i would give this place 10stars!!!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 27 August 2017

Dear Lebo
Thank so much for your kind and generous feedback. Hope to see your soon.

Reviewed 11 July 2017

Had a brilliant time at Thandile Country Lodge riding out on in the bush on a well trained and experienced trail horse and escorted by my host whose knowledge of horses and the bush is unsurpassed. The terrain covered ranged from rocky hills to soft soil valleys, and my horse, Prins knew exactly how to tackle the different going, and it gave me a lot of confidence. The overnight stay at the lodge was thoroughly enjoyable and to see how the various animals interact and are loved on this farm are enough to make me want to go back for another trail ride and bush experience as soon as possible

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Thandile1, Owner at Thandile Country Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2017

Dear Sandy, Thank you so much for the wonderful feedback and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Kind regards