“Not Good Enough” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Mermaid Beach
Melbourne, Australia
“Not Good Enough”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

This was our third visit to Turtle Beach Resort and was unfortunately the worst. The facilities are great, no problem there, the pools and gardens are very well kept and clean. The room we stayed in was another story. Room 92. Not enough furniture for our five family members, only seating for 4, balcony furniture, cheap white plastic table with 2 chairs when there should be 4, not enough cutlery or cooking utensils,no oven trays, unit not cleaned very well, lounge chairs made of material that was very smelly and dirty, When my husband enquired about getting a few more chairs he was told that the units were privately owned and there was nothing they could do. Then to top it all off, we had a family next to us and below us who were smoking some awful stinky type of cigarette all day, so we had to keep our windows and doors closed so it didnt drift in and nearly choke us. It is obvious that the owners of this unit do not like to spend any money on it, but i would have thought that there would be certain standards and equipment and furnishings that had to be adhered to by the owners, especially when charging top dollar during the christmas break. The only reason I have given a average rating is because the facilities for my two grandchildren were great, if it was just for the apartment it would be terrible.
K. Symonds

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Kerrie S
Melanie R, on behalf of the Resort Manager at Turtle Beach Resort, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear Kerrie

Thank you again for your review and for taking the time to discuss your stay with our Resort Manager.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Resort in the near future and are positive that you and your family will have a relaxing stay.

Kind regards
Melanie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

This would be a very good place to bring a young family with young children.
My wife and I and our teenage daughter stayed hear and it wasn't really for us. We found that the excited kids running around etc didn't suit us but would be perfect if you were one of those families. Heaps for the kids to do and heaps of other kids for them to play with. There was also privacy for the parents in the adults only pool area. All in all, i recommend this place. The room itself was pretty good and comfortable.
Just don't expect a quick stroll to Draculas or pacific fair as its a bit to far!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Hobart, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

Every two years our extended family (five couples plus seven grandchildren) book a week at Turtle Beach Resort. This was our third visit. Sadly it will be our last. I never complain and just go with the flow. So I won't complain about the dirty crockery, unwashed and filthy grill in the oven, the broken draw in the wardrobe or the cockroaches running around the bathroom at night. However what I will complain about is the amount charged to my room for purchases that I did not make at The Rainforest Café which we didn't visit at all. Upon checkout I explained this to reception and was told it would be remedied. Not so! Four phone calls later and my Mastercard was still debited. Fifth phone call resulted in investigation and found signature on receipt was definitely not mine. This should have been done prior to checkout. Money was refunded. Unfortunately the Resort appears to be somewhat tired and in need of a makeover. It is a shame this visit wasn't nearly as enjoyable as our previous two.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank Ken D
Dear Ken
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.
I have spoken with our Resort Manager, and as discussed with you, the charge was made by your son, also registered under the same surname, an honest mistake by both your son and our café staff. Unfortunately we were unable to immediately refund directly to you as our accounts team were off during the Christmas break and not back until the New Year. It was suggested that the money could be paid directly to you by your son, however as this was not suitable the refund was done directly into your account as quickly as possible. As we work from a trust account, refunds can take some time, especially over holiday periods but I am truly sorry that we were unable to action this more quickly for you and as a result your holiday was spoilt.
Ken you mentioned that your two previous holidays were great and I hope that you will give us another chance as you have ranked value, location and sleep quality so highly. Our new water playground will be a great hit with the grandchildren I am sure.
Regards
Melanie
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

This was our third stay at Turtle Beach Resort and our family has always greatly enjoyed the gorgeous gardens, the pools, the tennis and the waterslide. Sadly, our experiences this visit means that it will most certainly be our last.

My husband and I booked a "Premium" 2 bedroom unit for our family of five for five nights, Christmas to New Year, asking for a ground floor unit. We (mistakenly) thought that paying extra for a better quality room would ensure that we received a large apartment that would comfortably fit our family as per our stay at the resort the other two times. Our last visit before this was Easter 2013 where we stayed in a "standard" 2 bedroom apartment.

Upon booking in, we were extremely dismayed to discover that not only was our apartment much smaller than the other rooms which we had stayed in at the resort previously, it was also so dark, we needed to have the lights on during the day.

To compound our disappointment, we also discovered upon our arrival that staff had placed our family right in the middle of a large family group who were styaing in the two apartments either side of us.

This placement meant that we had a continual problem of people running across our patio as a short cut between the two apartments. This could have been avoided if staff had put this large family group together in the first place.

We asked management to be moved but were told that as it was Christmas time, the holiday was fully booked and as such, we were stuck with it. Out of interest, we asked staff about how they could classify this small, dark apartment as "premium" rather than "standard". Their response was (wait for it):

a) The "grade" of the room has *nothing* to do with the size or location of the apartment in the complex (what the?!); and

b) premium means you get a *leather* sofa instead of cloth and a stainless steel fridge instead of good old white. Supposedly you also get better furniture as well. Our table/chairs were the same type of cane furniture as had been used in the other "standard" apartments. Perhaps the cane was actually gold plated (given it was "premium") and I just didn't notice?

(As an aside, to our amusement, the "premium" fridge was so dinted it looked like a combination of a factory warehouse second that had gone a few rounds at a derby prior to being placed into the kitchen to live out its days in eternal gloom Hmmm, maybe it was there because the apartment was so dark they thought no one would see?)

Our "premium" self-catering apartment also very generously appointed us with three forks (handy when there are five of us), four chairs (my children took turns sitting on each other's lap - they complained sometimes but I just told them to alternate between themselves), no baking tray, no face-washers, no toiletries (bar two cheap hand soaps only per apartment), three toilet rolls for two bathrooms (total for our stay, not spares), one small sachet of washing powder and one small container of dishwashing liquid that was enough to clean the three forks we were generously provided with. Once.

Whilst the apartment was clean, we noticed after a few days that a mouldy smell appeared in our bathroom. Unfortunately however, whenever we opened our windows or doors, our room would then became overpowered by the smell of cigarette smoke. (Check out AliciaM2037's review for further info.)

Close inspection of the "non-smoking" resort policy in the guest book states that "whilst Turtle Beach Resort is a non-smoking complex, guests ARE ALLOWED to smoke on their balconies".

In reality, this means that every time your smoking neighbour lights up, their smoke goes straight into your apartment. Trust me when I say that the smell lingers for ages after they stop and it permeates through all the fabric in the apartment. As a positive, the smoke smell didn't permeate through our leather sofa - perhaps this is the advantage of staying in premium that I missed before?

Given both our neighbours each side smoked as well as the people in the apartment above us, at times, my husband and I could have sent smoke-signals to each other rather than have a conversation using actual words. I guess if I wanted to put a positive spin on it I could say smoke-signals made for a handy alternative form of communication given our reduced ability to have a private conversation with all the crossings over our patio by our (smoking) neighbours.

I'm really sad to write this review as we'd really enjoyed our previous holidays at this resort.

However, at the end of the day, the lack of quality control in apartment allocation, the disparity in "inclusions" between what makes a standard and premium apartment combined with the "non-smoking but really smoking" resort policy means we will not be staying again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
10 Thank Katiepea74
Melanie R, on behalf of the Resort Manager at Turtle Beach Resort, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Dear Katiepea74
Thank you for taking the time to voice your comments on Trip Advisor and for supporting Turtle Beach Resort throughout the years. As I am not sure as to which room you stayed in or the name under which you were booked I am not able to directly follow up some of your concerns but would be happy to do so if you would be so kind as to contact me at the Resort with this additional information.
The change of our some of our apartments from Standard to Superior is an internal upgrade that individual owners have undertaken on select apartments. The minimum standard is a refurbishment of all of the soft furnishings in the room, and by 1 April 2014, this will also include the replacement of all cane furniture. With over 200 individual apartment owners and close to 300 apartments in the Resort, this means that the Superior Apartments are scattered throughout the grounds and may change in individual size or configuration. Allocating friends and families together can become quite tricky, however we do our very best to ensure that as many of our guests as possible are looked after with regards to their requests. It is certainly inconsiderate of the families around you to cross over your balcony, impeding on your peaceful stay and we will certainly take the time to ensure that this does not occur with future guests.
Our non-smoking policy is constant point of discussion in our management meetings. As a strata property, we also have permanent residents and owners living in the Resort and we are currently unable to regulate their smoking conditions. We have therefore chosen to allow our guests to smoke on their balconies, but not in their rooms and if found in breach of this condition guests are charge the cost of cleaning in these apartments (this condition is very common in many hotels and resorts). Again, it is the inconsiderate few that spoil for the many and I apologise on behalf of the Resort that we were unable to move you during your stay. We have also found that there are many considerate smokers that chose to smoke outside the Resort grounds to ensure they do not inconvenience other guests.
As mentioned, I would really love the opportunity to discuss this further with you so that we can address the concerns you raised with your apartment. We certainly do not wish to lose your patronage as we have some great developments happening at the Resort which I know will add to the experience for you and your family, so please contact me at your convenience.
Kind regards
Melanie Reid
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the resort for 5 nights over Christmas. I've never had to ask to change rooms during any other hotel stay before but the first apartment that we were allocated had clearly been smoked in. In particular the bedroom where my kids were to sleep.

The bedspreads and curtains in the bedroom reeked of cigarette smoke and more generally smelt dirty and stale. The cleanliness more generally in this apartment was also questionable with food scraps and grease in the microwave. While the staff at the front desk did provide us with a different room, there was a general insistence that the smoke smell just wasn't that bad. Dirty, smoke impregnated bedding was not what I was planning on my kids sleeping in on holiday!

The new apartment had also clearly been smoked in but they had tried harder to remove the smell...

This is by far the biggest issue for me with a resort which is aimed at families but which does not properly enforce the no smoking status of rooms.

Otherwise the kids loved the playgrounds and waterside.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1.6 km away
BreakFree Diamond Beach
BreakFree Diamond Beach
#6 of 21 in Broadbeach

Been to Turtle Beach Resort? Share your experiences!