Open today: 4:30 am - 11:00 am, 11:15 am - 4:15 am

Average

Reviewed 5 January 2018
Aspley4034
Brisbane, Australia

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 5 January 2018

Unfortunately, the previous negative reviews are an accurate summary of this charter. Uninterested, unhelpful crew. No fish - although I accept this is somewhat outside their control. All crew members smoked and were unenthusiastic. We spent time untangling when they could have helped. At least it was a lovely weather to be on the water. Expensive trip though. Be careful where you park your car. We also ended up with a $147 fine.

1  Thank Aspley4034
Reviewed 14 October 2017

Today's trip with Discovery Fishing Charters was supposed to be a treat from my daughter. They made big things about being there are 0550 in the emails and texts prior to today and then were late arriving to pick us up (only by 15 minutes, but it was an indicator of where they are). Safety brief was a complete joke with lots of mumbling and some very poor instructions about what to do should the worst happen "the lifejackets are under there and you sort of put them over your head and tie them off or something like that"! followed by some mumbled explanation about an EPRB and turning it on (not that many would know what that is and to be honest, I'm pretty sure most of us on the boat didn't actually know where it was anyway. Eventually got under way and things were ok (we stopped briefly for a couple of minutes while the deck crew tried to catch some live bait). Not successful so we headed further out - arrived at first fishing spot and got an ok brief about the rods and reels, bait buckets were given out complete with chopped up frozen bait (this was the first and only time the crew cut up bait for the clients in the five or so hours we were at sea - despite being asked at least 4 times for more bait).
First spot ok - couple of fish (I realise the number of fish cannot be guaranteed!).
Set off again - saw dolphins and whales in the near distance and it might have been nice if the crew had noticed the interest from all on board and gone a little closer but no - lets thrash on to the next spot (ok I get it, it's a fishing trip).
Big storm on the horizon and several boats were "running" back towards shore - we were the only boat heading towards the storm. Call me a bluff old traditionalist but I'm fairly sure all on board would have been more comfortable if we had been doing the same as everybody else and gone for calmer waters - especially as the wind, rain and spray was not pleasant at all and we were all huddled behind the boat captain in an attempt to keep warm and dry. The boat has side panels that can be lowered to protect the passengers but there was never any intent from the crew to do this - after all, they were ok right! Brief conversation between the captain and crew about dropping the anchor in 50m water in quite strong winds with waves growing in size and lots of whitecaps on the water. The deck crew obviously didn't think it would hold (or that the anchor rope was long enough) - and he was right. So after wasting around an hour heading into the storm and then back again after the anchor wouldn't hold, we ended up at what was probably the first spot.
All in all, the crew looked completely uninterested (too busy texting and using Facebook on their phones) in what the customers were doing - despite being asked for help/bait/information on what was caught (which wasn't much) - I did hear from somebody that when they were asked what sort of fish something was, the answer was "dunno - don't eat fish so no idea"!

1  Thank David L
Reviewed 3 September 2017

Where do I start....

1. The crew were so unenthusiastic - No introduction, unhappy, very little tuition for people that didn't really know what they were doing.

2. Dated worn out gear - I understand that the gear cops a hiding being used day in day out but it was well below par. I would have liked to have thrown a couple of knife jigs or placos around but this was definitely out of the option. Bottom bashing with super heavy old overheads with mono that has been around since the dawn of fishing

No bluetooth speaker for music or commercial radio. This would have helped drown out the deathly silence from the uninterested crew.

3. Personal opinions - I understand that everyone has different opinions but found it extremely unprofessional for the crew to start voicing their stance on but not limited to, shark nets, professional whaling etc etc.

4. Lack of fish in the boat - Now it was an extremely quiet day for anyone on the water. I really can't hold this against the charter but going on a 2-3 hour drift across no mans land didn't seem like the best idea to me.

5. Food - Make sure you pack plenty of snacks, drinks and food because you won't get anything from the crew unless you want to chew down on a couple of pillies.

My advice, go buy an el cheapo rod and throw some metal slugs off the wall on dusk. You'll have more fun.

1  Thank Gowson
Reviewed 8 July 2017 via mobile

Average to say the best . Crew OK but didn't feel they made any real effort. Fishing gear not good enough in my opinion; all a bit rough and looked like the traces had caught a lot of fish and twisted around main line . No drink or snacks offered when the flyer said they were provided. 11 POB and no fish in 4hrs fishing. I know that this is the realatily of fishing but we weren't given the best chance to do so .We paid $500 for 4 of us and expected a whole lot more professional setup than this.

2  Thank JackB3619
Reviewed 16 June 2017 via mobile

As inexperienced fishers we were a little scared but rest assured the boys at discovery fishing taught us how to fish
Upon our newly gained skills there were plenty of fish caught :) our days are made and we'll be back. Ash

Reviewed 16 June 2017 via mobile

With crappy weather that didn't stop these guys doing what they do best and that's putting us on the fish
I will be back

Reviewed 10 October 2016 via mobile

Just wanted to say a HUGE thank you to Phil and Dylan for an amazing day on the water.
Phil did an outstanding job locating the fish and Dylan went above and beyond ensuring we had everything we needed to catch them.
Catching 9 fish for the day, I was more then satisfied, as being my first charter I can happily say I will become a regular on Discovery Fishing Charters and recommend to all!
Thank you Phil and Dylan.
Excellent job.

Reviewed 4 October 2016

Just a greate day all round. Good help with the kids. Will be back next time. the fishing was good. and the crew know what that were doing. felt safe with the crew even the weater was ok.

1  Thank trucky127
Reviewed 7 August 2016

My partner booked this on our trip to the Gold Coast. I was going to stay in the apartment as I'd never fished before and at $130 each I though it was expensive if I went along for the boat trip and didnt fish. We both went and once I got to grips with the process I was happy I did, I loved it! I enjoyed the day and caught 2 fish which I was delighted with. The views were very pretty and you can fish undercover out of the sun. When booking the lady on the phone told us any fish would be gutted and iced to take home but unfortunatly they werent gutted so we didnt take them back to the apartment. All in all I enjoyed the day!

Reviewed 14 December 2015

Embarrassing!! Ours and another company booked the whole boat for a half day charter in the last week. After expressing that we were local and had fished the gold coast for years, we were told that its not like the other charters as all they do is troll lures and waste time rather than bottom fishing time..Pre 6am I was asked for the remainder in cash and after advising them that it was all paid for prior on the credit card the deckhand did the big pen chucking dummy spit and we knew we were in for one of those days.. Basically zero action in the fishing department as they anchor at location and spend to long there before moving to another. First time I've anchored on a charter off the gold coast and I've deck handed for a few of them i the past.
Please don't let this be the normal service you supply for tourists who spend $1440 on a half day charter..
Thanks but you lost our return business.
Good luck.