Lowest prices for your stay
AU$358
2000TT
Brisbane, Australia

Appalling Housekeeping

1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 13 July 2023
This rating is purely for housekeeping. The ladies at reception desk and staff who served us at the Harvest and The Garden were fabulous!

I've stayed at The Star Gold Coast many times before and it has never been this bad! The toilet seat had stains when we checked in but because my friend really needed to use the toilet, we just wiped it with our own santising wipes instead of asking house keeping to come and clean it.

We left the room around 10am the next day and switched on the 'please make my room' light. When we got back at 3:40pm, the room was not cleaned. I called house keeping and was told they can come and service the room in 15 minutes. We left the room to go to the pool and when we got back after 1.5 hour, the bed was made and the bins were emptied but nothing else was cleaned or refilled! Towels remained on the shower floor, shampoo conditioner were emptied etc. I complained to reception desk and the lady said she will notify housekeeping to clean the room asap.

Surprise surprise, the room was still not cleaned at 8:30pm! Called reception who sincerely apologised but said housekeeping has finished for the day but can send someone to give us new towels, coffee etc. When the gentlemen arrived, I had to request him to take the towels away as he said he is not the cleaner. When I asked if we can get some new cups, we were gob smacked by the the reply 'We are out of cups'! Seriously? A 5 star hotel is out of cups?

I was told by 4 different people throughout my stay that they will notify the supervisor of housekeeping know about my experience. I hope they will rectify the service/staffing issue asap so other people don't have to expereince the same frustration as I did.

Date of stay: July 2023
  • Booking.com
  • Trip.com
0.8 km from The Star Grand at The Star Gold Coast
View more hotels in Broadbeach
All reviews star club terrace suite breakfast included twin room executive lounge turn down service rooms are nice gold coast bed and pillows restaurants and bars late checkout pacific fair school holidays great place to stay fantastic stay casino concierge
Selected filters
Reviewed 7 July 2023

Stayed at this hotel for two nights in a “Superior Deluxe King” room, 12th floor with “views”. The rooms are adequate for the price point. No bathtub. Views are mostly of the other building in the hotel and its industrial machinery.
If you are used to staying at the Star in Sydney or the Crown in Melbourne, the service levels here are a considerable step down. The staff here are probably way too busy to deal with enquirers the same way as other similar hotels in other cities. This place is just full of people - families, tourists, punters. Be ready to queue for eateries and at bars.
We couldn’t get bookings into the Japanese restaurant for either night, despite ringing in the morning. We did get into the Chinese Uncle Su restaurant the 2nd night and it was good, but pricey.
The room didn’t get made up the 2nd day - kind of a let down.
No minibar - everything is on room service order.
Bed was ok for comfort. Aircon is a bit touchy and doesn’t have an auto temp control mode - you have to choose either cool or heat.
Bathroom small and pokey but functional.
Would I stay again? Probably not.

Date of stay: July 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alexander B
Reviewed 5 July 2023 via mobile

The star is an extremely good hotel. It has an amazing breakfast all you can eat buffet with delicious food and a wide variety of it. It includes a pool which also uses crowddj, which allows people to queue music to be played from an app. The rooms are very good also. Definitely stop here if you can afford time!

Room tip: Stop here if you can! The pool has a small diving area that a lot of people use.
Date of stay: August 2022
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank TsunamiStorm
Reviewed 3 July 2023

Absolutely terrible experience. The lift door slammed onto my wrist while I was exiting the lift. It hit with such force as it smashed onto my watch face damaging the glass. Imagine if a toddler's head was hit with such force? Despite reporting the incident to the hotel manager and to the security team, no-one has made any contact with me to offer to repair my damaged watch.
The servicing of my room was also appalling. Housekeeping had not attended to my room at 4.30pm. They were advised of this fact and promised to attend within 30 minutes. Another call had to be made at 7.30pm as the room still had not been touched. They finally arrived after 8pm to service my room.
There has been no response to any emails I have sent this establishment since checking out. They don't want to know you after they've collected your money.

Date of stay: June 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank Chris K
Reviewed 23 April 2023

Great room with all modern facilities including electronic curtains, blinds etc as you would expect for the room fee. Great view, good coffee making facilities, very nice but small bathroom.

Close walking distance to beach.

The most annoying part of staying here is the car parking. Validate the ticket at reception each time you go out, going out after dark will likely cause you not not find a park, $20 per day etc. Seems a bit of a nuisance for guests paying a premium to stay at the hotel....

Room tip: Parking can be no fun
Date of stay: March 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Phobos1967
Reviewed 16 April 2023

We were excited about our stay at The Grand Star. But that was short lived. This entire place is a sh^t show. When booking we enquired about parking as it had been mentioned to be difficult. Yes valet parking is always available was the response from the bookings lady.
It had been a big day, a five hour drive and we arrived to find valet parking was full. If you’ve rented out the rooms, surely you allocated the parking. The car park itself is a total nightmare. Whilst we were in the hotel car park we were in fact parked a good 500 metres or more from the reception desk which could only be reached through a rabbit warren of elevators and stairs. The reception staff were at least pleasant if not misguiding. Join our rewards program for free parking! Remember we’ve paid $374 for a basic motel room which apparently doesn’t come with parking! You’re shi^ting me right!
Our room was on the tenth floor. High up enough to be away from the casino noise one would think but not necessarily so. The crying baby at 11:00pm was also not appreciated and frighteningly loud considering we are staying in a five star establishment that hasn’t mastered sound proofing!
The rooms are nice, if not poorly planed. No mini bar, a malfunctioning coffee machine, a rain fall shower that seemed to get just as much water outside the shower as in it. Want to watch a movie, no problem, that’s another $19, your kidding me, right? Frankly by this point I’m ready to leave and demand a refund but our friends are here so I calm myself and go to dinner. We all joined the rewards program and yes there was some discounts off food but it was overpriced and underwhelming anyway.
The bed was at least comfortable and the fancy electric blind almost made me feel like we were getting value for money, sadly that feeling didn’t last.
Checking out we are charged the $20 parking fee even though we protest and waive our rewards program cards about.
Disappointed we leave and make the trek back to the car. Not once did we receive any help with our bags. And better yet as we make our way into the elevator we are met with 3 elderly ladies all in the 80’s struggling with a hotel luggage trolley alone. Apparently valet parking was still full.
It’s a sh^t show and a poorly organised one at that.
There is way better value for money to be had and I wish we’d chosen it. Never again Star not so Grand!

Room tip: Just don’t stay here. It’s basically an upmarket dive. Definitely not a five star experience.
Date of stay: April 2023