Hotels.com
Cush2
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Average
2.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 4 Jan 2020
Thought the price was too good to be true! Nice and central but very run down, and dirty unit. Unit had marks over walls, dirty carpet, dirty dustpan in cupboard, kitchen very run down and random utensils, broken hairdryer which could have cut fingers off if used (cover missing over fan!), toaster melted and very dirty, holes in wall and all over a very unclean feel to it. Could do with some maintenance, a splash of paint and a bloody good clean.
Room was also on 3rd story, with no lifts. Hard with a toddler and pram.
Date of stay: September 2019Trip type: Travelled with family
  • Sofitel
    AU$309
Beachfront
View more hotels in Broadbeach
All reviews no lift great location one bedroom apartment pacific fair the gold coast washing machine and dryer secure parking stay there again tram station spa casino channels australia
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 January 2020 via mobile

I’m writing this so others are aware.

The manager of Aruba called me about 3 weeks before my holiday. So still within “free cancellation”(for me)

She began to tell me a story about the owner wanting to stay and that THEY had to cancel our booking. I was so upset and worried and voiced that as we paid for our flight and already paid for the hotel. How can they just cancel. The manager had absolutely no remorse, just kept repeating “we have to cancel”.

So here I’m thinking that’s it. But then she said “so please can you cancel your booking”

EXCUSE ME! So you tried to trick me into cancelling MY booking because you know very well if YOU cancel YOU will be up for penalties. But if I cancelled it’s a free ride.

I put her in her place and told her the rules. She was extremely taken back that I even knew the rules.
I called Agoda straight away to advise them of what they tried to do. Agoda called them to remind them of the rules.

So that was the first issue
2nd
I booked through Agoda, they should know that communication needs to be via phone.
When we arrived to the hotel no one was here, we couldn’t get in and no one was answering the phones.
Turns out we never received the instructions with the pin code to the box with our key. Lucky another customer helped.

Aruba’s reason - we didn’t have your email! YOU CALLED ME TO TRY TRICK ME TO CANCEL!!!!! Why didn’t you call me to get my email!!!

I’m not sure if they tried to cancel me because I did book in March so the rate was cheaper... it literally doubled in December... but that’s not my fault! Or the owner did actually want to stay.. either way not my issue. You tried to ruin my holiday for your own selfish benefits.

We also met another couple that had experienced similar. Except the hotel threatened to cancel their booking if they didn’t pay an extra $500 - the management SHOULD be going directly through the booking agent, but they know they wouldn’t get away with it!!!
- I’ve told this couple to dispute it with the booking company.

Other then this, the apartment was ok, clean and great location. Bed was VERY uncomfortable.

Please be aware of Aruba’s management. They are extremely dishonest, as above. They also try to play the “I don’t understand English” excuses.

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank ashleanicole
TessBen, Manager at Aruba Surf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2020

Hello Ashlea,

'Scammers be careful - warning to others' you made is serious and true?

The outcome was that you enjoyed your stay by your writing 'the apartment was ok, clean and great location.'

We tried to provide the best service for you with cheaper price and better accommodation by all of evidences such as e-mail and your feedback.

Why did you slander on website about us and we have no option but to disclose to our lawyer to investigate.

Could you please provide legal evidence to support all story you made in writing to us ASAP?

We will definitely catch you if you do not reply us in the next 48 hours.

Reviewed 22 November 2019

Just spent 8 nights here,and absolutely loved it.The staff were great,and the location is perfect.Your so close to everything,but still out of the way,and very quiet place.I loved the foxtel in the room.The price was cheaper than some country places,and this place was much better.Nice balcony to sit on also.I loved the fact my car was behind a gate,so nice and safe.I'll definitely be staying there again.Also the WI-FI was great.

Date of stay: November 2019

Hi HappyHawks23,

Thanks for your excellent comment. Sincerely hope to see you again in Aruba Surf Resort.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 8 November 2019

I booked online. It is an apartment. Reasonable level of cleanliness. Decor a bit tired but ok for the price.Had oven, microwave and plenty of cooking utensils and pots etc. Close to Pacific Fair and Broadbeach. Good location, quiet area. Secure undercover carparking. Had late check in and so keys left in lock box. No problem. Had issue with free WiFI but that got sorted next morning. Foxtel in TV was great.. Had washing machine and drier in bathroom. Supplied with a sachet of washing up liquid and detergent, soap etc and half toilet roll. If you run out you need to buy your next one. Would stay here again.

Room tip: I had a lower level room. There are no lifts only stairs so go for that if you dont like going up and down stairs

Hi doordontlikeit,

Thanks for your comments. Aruba Surf Resort is not hotel, we provide the sachet and toilet as starter pack only for the guest. We got oasis shopping center and 7-11 (2-minute walking distance) around us. Guests can buy foods and other commodities from the shops easily.

Aruba Surf Resort management

Reviewed 20 October 2019

Advice to all if you are seeking a good holiday do not come here. Even if you have been before there has been a change of ownership and management. It was the worst experience I have ever had on holiday. Holiday from hell. This was the experience: false advertising, lack of safety, totally unclean (for some examples: mould, dust, food scraps, holes in sofa, greasy sofa, unclean microwave and cutlery drawers), hasn't been updated for many years, stingy re items such as toilet paper and washing liquid, the worse customer service I've ever experienced, no functioning pool, unclean spa and no foxtel. Bond also paid on arrival but no inventory of all the crap issues in the apartment. Scary experience in all.

Hi johndtraveller6,

We are really upset about your decision. We hope you might change your mind if we can provide evidence to improve our service as much as we can.

Regarding to: False Advertising. Could you please point out which website to publish the inaccurate advertisement with many thanks? We do have more than 25 online travel agents to advertise our resort including our own website. So it's very essential to figure out what is going wrong with our reputation for the public simply because our business has been running over 25 years with plenty of good feedback from our holiday guests.

Regarding to Lack of Safety. We have 24-hour security guards going on patrol. The Broadbeach Police Station is located in the next street. All of buildings are equipped with CCTV cameras (nil black spots). So we do not make sense Why do you feel unsafe?

Regarding to cleaning issues: We always supervise all rooms after cleaned by the housekeepers, did you take photos about above issues? Or Why don't you report to the staffs in reception, instead, you stayed in this such a dirty room for your holiday stay? it is common sense of that you would report to us straight away in order to request to relocate or refund if the unit would in that such pool conditions with lots of cleaning problems.

Regarding to customer service: If you didn't come to reception, how come we knew how to serve you to achieve your satisfactions, even you made comments 'worse' service?

Regarding to 'no functioning pool, unclean spa and no foxtel', we are sure you are lying because if we were not facilitated with those amenities, we are not qualified as 4-star resort at the center of Broadbeach.

Regarding to Bond: As featured self-contained apartment, we have to be on behalf all the owner to make sure nil damages when guest checked out. So Bond is necessary and compulsory to process when check-in.

We are looking forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 17 October 2019

The only positive comment I have about the accommodation at Aruba Surf Resort is the location is great, it's in the middle of Broadbeach five minutes walk from Pacific Fair and the tram to get you anywhere you want to go.

Their website advertises the rooms as 'Serviced' upon check-in we learnt that the rooms are only serviced for free if you're staying for at least 8 nights, and will incur and additional cost otherwise.

Clean sheets and towels are not provided daily, the cost for fresh towels is $2 each. I'm sure this is fine for apartments that have washing machines provided, but it's incredibly rude to give the other rooms no choice.

The rooms are provided with a single roll of toilet paper, some complimentary tea, coffee and milk, if you want any more there is an additional charge for these as well.

Our room's AC unit was filled with mold, the person at the desk insisted that these were cleaned weekly, though I find this difficult to believe given the amount of mold that had built up in the unit. Our bathroom sink was coming away from the counter-top and was only held in place by the plumbing. Carpet and curtains were ripped or coming apart in places.

We went out for the day and came back after-hours to learn that the keys we were given didn't open the door at the landing to our room, and contacting their after-hours phone number went straight to voicemail. This left us stranded without our passports and money.

The rooms are located up several flights of stairs and are not access-friendly. No elevators are available.

If we had known that there were conditions attached to 'Serviced' apartments with relation to the price we would never have booked with Aruba Surf Resort and looked elsewhere.

Room tip: Double check the cleanliness of your AC unit if you don't want to breath mold.
1  Thank Clurasaur

Hi Clurasaur,

We are completely a self-contained resort. Please read all the instructions carefully on the booking channels when you make the booking.