eDreams
Trip.com
Vio.com
All reviews across the road great location surf club the gold coast oasis shopping centre shops and restaurants patrolled beach after hours night stay within walking distance one bedroom apartment apartment was very clean stayed nights great apartment car park views balcony
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 July 2022

Do not stay at South Pacific Plaza Resort. I’ll keep this short and sweet, my blood pressure will rise if I spell out the whole tale. So I wanted to spoil my 80yo Mum for Mother’s day but she’s quite fussy about travelling and hotel standards so instead of just booking online I went to the trouble to make a phone call to SPP and ask if they could match my requirements. I only wanted two things – a recently renovated room and a high floor. Yes they could do that!! Their superior rooms are all renovated, so I’m happy to pay extra for that. Awesome, I’ll book it then. She even got really specific and said we have a room for you on the 15th floor.

Mum happens to arrive on a public holiday so reception closes at 1pm. No big deal, there’s some after hours instructions to get keys, but the first sign things are going to go downhill from here. OK so it turns out the high floor room is on the second floor. She had specifically said it’d be the 15th floor and it certainly didn’t need to be that, anywhere high was fine, but in what universe does the second floor qualify as high?

And the room is not renovated. It couldn’t possibly be a “superior room”. It’s actually an “inferior room” in very poor condition. The fridge and aircon sounded like trucks driving through the lounge. The freezer had rust in it. Multiple taps dripping non-stop. 1 teaspoon. Yep, 1. Furniture all worn out. Placemats with old food caked on. Mould. Yuck.

Now with no reception staff it’s impossible to raise any concerns or get a room change. Mum has to cop it sweet, at least for the first night. In the morning she sees reception. Manager is away for a few days. They can’t change rooms because it’s 100% occupancy. Mum spends the whole week complaining to staff about all the things wrong with the room, and says it is basically unlettable in its current condition. She doesn’t tell me anything until after she gets back because it was a Mother’s Day gift and she doesn’t want to deflate me. She doesn’t even know that we’ve paid for a Superior Room and were promised a high floor. If she’d let me know, I would have demanded a full refund on day 2 and hunted around for a reputable hotel/resort in the area. Alas she comes back with higher blood pressure than she left with. So much for an autumn break on the Gold Coast.

I then contact management to raise all these issues the following week. The experience starts off with 10 minutes on hold and then a recorded message saying “all lines are busy, call back later”. If only I’d got that message when I rang to make the booking – a big red flag and a warning to cross it off the list. So I email and outline all these issues.

Resort Manager Sharon emails me back two days later and basically it’s 5% sympathy and 95% rebuttal. Lectured me on how the allocation of rooms is a puzzle and they couldn’t possibly make those commitments that I’d asked for when making a booking. Ah, but they did make those commitments, that’s why I booked.

Turns out the employee who took my booking was new and was being trained. So 100% absolution! Companies can always absolve themselves of any blame and avoid reparations, so long as their employee was a trainee.

Sharon also explained the room was partially renovated in 2018 for the “Olympic Games” (sic) but after volunteering for the games the owner suddenly died. This is of course very unfortunate for the owner and their family but not sure of the relevance to us, other than to confirm it was only partially renovated (yeah which part?) and that the owners were about to finish off the unit (4 years later). Super. My mum will be most gratified to know that sometime in the future (near or far) other folk will not get ripped off by paying money for this unit.

Room tip: Travellers tip. Ask for a crappy room on a low floor, that might be the key.

Dear V300DQmarcd
We appreciate your comments and what more could be said. We wish you well with future accommodation.
Kind regards
Management

Reviewed 14 June 2022

We booked our room through Hotels.com and the room was exactly as in the photos.

The lady at reception was absolutely lovely and made check in a breeze.

We stayed in room 304. It was very comfortable but not enough blankets as it was cold... The beds only had a top sheet with a thin blanket. Luckily there was a small heater and the split air conditioner to heat up the unit. Both bedroom had ceiling fans which we did not need.

The unit contained all you needed to cook a meal. The sitting area was very comfortable with reclining seats! There were three glass tables which could be an issue for young families. The cabinets could do with update, but were in perfect order - it was more aesthetically...

The balcony was very small...

A lot of cupboard space with shelving baskets and a set of drawers in each bedroom.

The location is fantastic - directly opposite Oasis Shopping centre with loads of restaurants and cafes in the area.

We didn't use any of the amenities, apart from parking, as we didn't have time and it wasn't hot...

Would highly recommend South Pacific Plaza and would happily stay here again!

Date of stay: June 2022
2  Thank ljr2612

Dear ljr2612

We appreciate all comments, thankyou. We could have supplied you more blankets by attending or calling to reception.
Yes the 2brm balconies are a little small for families and unfortunately this is a structural figure.
We look forward to you returning for your next holiday.
Kind regards South Pacific Plaza

Reviewed 20 May 2022 via mobile

Great location, rooms are privately owned, ours was stuck in the 1980s , right down to crockery. Holes in the wall, no dishwasher, chairs falling apart, comfy mattress, def not 4 stars but great location., 3 star max

Date of stay: May 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear suesT8916EC
Firstly we apologise for our late response and sorry to hear you did not have up to standard room. It sounds like you booked a 'standard apartment' in which we do not advertise these as a '4 star'.
Kind regards South Pacific Plaza

Reviewed 7 May 2022

We stayed on the 10th Floor (Room 1004) all rooms have ocean views which is refreshing. This property is in a prime location, is across the road from the Kurrawa Surf Life Saving Club and patrolled beach, walking distance to restaurants, woolworths, BWS bottle shop, Star Casino, markets across the road Sunday mornings, secured off street parking, self contained kitchen.

As most holiday appartments on the Gold Coast, the unit was not airconditioned, it wasn't really an issue due to the time of year we travelled but it's something to consider if travellng in summer time. Whilst the ocean breezes are nice, if they don't blow it can be hot in apartments, speaking from previous experience. We also found parking an issue as people would park in our designated park park meaning we'd have to find another carpark, fortunately it wasn't a busy period and this was easily done.

Reviewed 25 April 2022 via mobile

What a great place. Modern inside, plenty of space with amazing uninhibited views out over the beach and sea. Handy to the supermarket retail shops, restaurants and most importantly a caged playground. The 2 bedroom apartment had a fully equipped kitchen which meant we didn’t have to eat out for every meal.

Date of stay: April 2022