“THIS is Mexico”

Mariscos el Gordo
Ranked #49 of 191 Restaurants in Bucerias
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 19 November 2016

White plastic chair planted on the sandy beach! HOLA! This is Mexico. We Love this atmosphere it can't be manufactured, copied or even simulated! The sun setting on the Pacific creates the best sunsets EVER over Banderas Bay. After many years of traveling dinner on the beach in Bucerias Can't Be BEAT! Now we add in Gordo's! First meal after traveling from The States had to include Chips, Guac and Pico de Gallo. We were not disappointed! Generous serving of all three! My husband had fish, grilled with Garlic...came with rice, vegetables and a slice of watermelon. I opted for grilled chicken which was two chicken breasts and all the above mentioned sides. Oh and two delicious slices of toasted garlic bread. We didn't remember experiencing as many local vendors as we did this meal...but times are hard. And...it is part of the authentic Mexico. Bottom line...I left with a fantastic meal, leftovers for lunch the next day AND a new silver necklace!

Reviewed 15 September 2016

I chose to go to "Fatboys" 3 times on a recent trip and every time the food, the staff and the drinks were sensational. My Mexican wife and I left knowing that we will be there more than 3 times on our next trip. The musician playing the background music is so terrible that he actually adds more fun to the whole experience.

Reviewed 6 July 2016 via mobile

Time slows down, the stress in your shoulders begin to ease...you lean back in your chair, dip your toes into the sand and sip from an ice cold Pacifico. You, my friend, have arrived to one of Nayarit's hidden jewels; El Gordo. We stopped at El Gordo on several local recommendations..interestingly, they appear to be the only seafood joint in town that don't require traveling salesmen throughout town to pressure you into eating there-they, by all accounts, are the girl who doesn't have to ask for a dance! They are the prom queen of Bucerias seafood.
We were promptly outdoors under a palapa maybe 15 feet from the gentle breaks of the Pacific Ocean. Victor, our waiter, felt like family. Quiet but attentive, he had the focused eyes of a wise man and a heart of gold-reminded me of my father in law in a strange way.
He quickly schooled us up on the house favorites, took our drink orders and learned about who we were and where we were from...appreciated.
Two beers in and the breeze flowed gently off the water, for the first time (4 days into my vacation) I felt truly relaxed, truly at peace, truly away from it all.
Sure, vendors come by frequently trying to make a living-brief eye contact, a smile and a "no, gracias" go a long way-they get the hint. Interestingly, I found myself with eyes closed and suddenly the feel of warm hands rubbing my shoulders. "Massage?" She said. No gracias, I replied...but she continued a bit longer. "You sure?" "I'm sure, but how about you keep going for a few minutes and I tip you?" "Ok" what proceeded was such a relaxing and welcoming shoulder massage that last 25 min and cost me 100 pesos (7 or 8 bucks?). Killer.

As my kids played in the water, my wife and I enjoyed a live quartet of Mexican musicians and continued drinks. Then, oh and then...the food!

We ordered an assortment of shrimp dishes along with a pesacdo zarandeado-the local speciality in Nayarit and Jalisco. This fish, my God...I can close my eyes and picture it all. Succulent, spicy, meaty, fresh and filling; seriously one of the best eats I've had in well over 20 visits to Mexico. Please order, you won't be disappointed.

Victor's continued service was a pleasure, the experience was so good that we returned from our all-inclusive hotel 20 min away the following day for more. Truly a gem located on the quiet beach of Bucerias-you must eat here. You're welcome.

1  Thank sewo1015
Reviewed 1 May 2016 via mobile

Great food and drink , friendly service and clean. Only problem is the vendors walking up to you all the time pressuring you to buy something, can get annoying after a while.

Reviewed 7 April 2016 via mobile

We were shopping in the flea market and went here after, it was very nice! Live music and margaritas on the beach! The vendors were constantly circling, but I enjoyed it and bought an amazing necklace for about 7.00! How fun! We had pico and chips and that was really good.