“bar staff”
Review of The Cottage Inn

The Cottage Inn
Ranked #9 of 10 Restaurants in Haxby
Price range: USD 1 - USD 20
Description: New management at the cottage inn new menu with homemade, homecooked food served everyday 11.30pm till 8.30pm sunday carvery functions catered for in our private function room full bar with cask ales we are currently awaiting refurbishment
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

I visited the cottage last night Thursday 5th April 2018...I stood at the bar waiting to be served for 8 minutes, only to be beaten to be served by someone that had just walked to the bar....the bar staff on this occasion, did not keep an eye on who was there first or who was waiting..I left and went else whare..

2  Thank ANDY M

Reviewed 26 March 2018

We live locally and have been to The Cottage several times in the last few years, but it seems to have got less good with each visit. My husband and I came in for dinner on a quiet Wednesday evening. The service was prompt and the waiter friendly, but there were several items from both the main and daily specials menus which were not available, having sold out. The specials menu was badly printed on thin paper, looked very tatty and and contained lines of spurious characters - the computer/printer must have been having a bad day and obviously no-one had bothered to proof read the menus before they were printed out! I had fish and chips, my husband had scampi and chips. The fish and scampi were excellent, but we both agreed that the 'three times cooked chips' were mediocre. Not sure what difference cooking them three times is supposed to make but they weren't crisp at all.

Our main issue with the 'new' menu at the Cottage is that there are no healthy options, almost everything comes with chips, there are no main meal salads, and on the evening we visited not even a fish dish apart from the battered variety. It has also got quite a lot more expensive over the past couple of years (I guess they needed to pay for the refurb!). We weren't very impressed and while we may go for a meal there again, we won't rush back. Such a shame as it's just up the road from us.

1  Thank Violet1981
Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

Hello dear Trip Advisor friends! My daughter and I went to The Cottage for a Catch up - a drink - and to take advantage of the Pizza night - we ordered our glasses of wine and our choice of Pizza - we drank our wine and ordered another glass while we waited ONE HOUR AND TWENTY MINUTES for our Pizza - lovely pizza, great chips bit far too long a wait x

1  Thank Annie A
Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

Very welcoming and efficient bar staff and a good selection of drinks and a nice atmosphere. A good start then....
The food is very poor though. My wife's was inedible, just a soggy mess of grease. The chips were the same, just soggy, soft and greasy. Waitress commented on the fact that my wife had left her food and we explained why. This was met with the (usual these days) 'sorry about that' and that was it.
Gave it 2 stars as the bar is good but it would be no stars had it been a food review.

2  Thank UsualSuspects61
Reviewed 21 February 2018 via mobile

Visited on Sunday, unfortunately missed Sunday dinners finished serving at 4. Had Cottage classics menu, pie overpriced, veg dry and over cooked, friend ordered lamb curry which was chicken! Rhubarb crumble too tart to eat and no custard left. Not very impressed. Only positive the chips were nice!

1  Thank Annabelle C