“Excellent for quiet, secluded relaxation”

COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Parrot Cay
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 August 2012

I will begin by saying I spent 4 nights with my wife at Parrot Cay (we are a young couple age 30) and we went because we were looking to get away to a quiet resort and just enjoy each other's company and get away from the city for a bit. Parrot Cay offered that. It was an excellent choice for what we wanted. Now for my review.

First, I will tell you what Parrot Cay is NOT. It is not a place to go party, it is not a place to be loud and pretentious. It is not loaded with constant activities. You won't find an organizer or cruise director type anywhere. There are no clubs nor is there loud music at the pool. Now I will tell you what Parrot Cay is. It is a plantation-style resort on its own island. The resort is at the northeastern tip of the island and it faces north toward the ocean. There are private homes on the island belonging to celebrities that are somewhat part of the Parrot Cay resort but if you blink you'll miss them. People go here to get away and not be bothered. The staff is helpful but not in your face. If you want something, ask and they will help. They go about their business and respect that you want to go about yours. The other guests are typically the same way. I truly believe if you rent a villa on the island, you could probably go your entire stay without encountering another guest. That said, staying in the resort rooms isn't so bad either.

The rooms are well appointed. We had an ocean view room which had a king sized bed, a seating area, a huge balcony and a large bathroom. I don't know why other reviewers complained about rust and things like that in the bathroom. Ours was just fine, and yes it's a cold hard tile floor, but it's the Caribbean. That's how things go.

When you arrive at the airport, a car will be waiting to take you about 20 minutes to a private dock where you will wait for the private ferry to take you to Parrot Cay. In all, this can take about an hour total. It's an enjoyable ride and they take care of your bags. That being said, now that you are away from civilization, you are pretty much stuck at the resort for the length of your stay, which has its pros and cons. The cons are you can't really explore Provo or any restaurants there. The pros are that you are secluded, it is quiet, and you can really unwind without having to worry too much.

You must eat at the resort. Food is expensive, but when you think about what it takes to get it there, you can understand why. But the food is very good. Do not get the meal package they offer when booking. It isn't worth it. Breakfast is included and they put out a nice spread. My wife and I enjoy our food and we didn't both eat an appetizer, entree and dessert at each meal, which is what you'd get with the meal plan. We found that the portions were large enough to even eat an appetizer or first course as a meal. I'm not a small person either, so trust me on this one. We also found it to be too hot to consume a large amount of food. There is one restaurant by the pool which is all outside and has an Asian flare to it. The inside restaurant is in the main house and is more continental. We found ourselves preferring the poolside Asian restaurant for dinner.

In all I have to say it was a great stay at Parrot Cay. I have very few minor complaints. Once, we asked to not be seated at a particular table at the restaurant and they denied our request stating they needed those other tables. Meanwhile those tables stayed empty for the rest of the night. Service was also slightly slow at times. Poolside drink service was hit or miss. It really depended on whether or not the guy felt like coming around. It's easier just to go up to the bar and get your own. Also they try to get you on the water when you eat. They ask "sparkling or still?" Still means bottled and they charge $7 for it. Just say "tap water" and you'll get it for free. There is also no iron in the room. They have an electric kettle, a full bar, a tv, blu-ray dvd player, but no iron. But I guess you could pay for their pressing service. Those are my complaints. Like I said, nothing major.

What I did like about it was that I was able to do my own thing and not be tied to schedules or event planners. Everyone is there to relax and unwind and they let you do that. Everyone is respectful of your privacy from the staff to other guests. The crowd was a mix of Americans and Europeans (Germans, Italians, French, Brits). Some South American as well. I'd say 70% American and 30% rest of world. Many people had children, although I don't really see how much fun this place would be for kids. I wouldn't recommend it since it's so secluded and kids really have to try to make their own fun. I'd say it's more geared toward adults. While it's not kid unfriendly, I just think kids would have a better time elsewhere.

You charge everything to your room, which is nice. They are quite accurate and not-forgetful when charging things to your account. If you want something, you can get it and will get it, but you will pay. Nothing is done for free. The room rate is higher than at other resorts in T&C but I think that is for a reason.

So if you're looking to relax and just unwind and enjoy the sun and beach, Parrot Cay is the right place for you. If you need constant activity or a party, spring break environment, then go somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Robert R
ThibautCOMO, Director of Sales at COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

There are newer reviews for COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos

Reviewed 5 August 2012

We spent a week in Parrot Cay for our honeymoon in July, and were blown away from the minute we arrived. The decor was the epitome of simple elegance. The atmosphere was one of complete relaxation and seclusion. The food at both restaurants was consistently fresh, well-prepared, and delicious. The majority of the staff were delightful, with only a few minor exceptions. The resort grounds were bright and beautifully manicured, and the infinity pool was gorgeous. The beach was one of the most beautiful we're seen in the Caribbean, as well as being peaceful and secluded. We never had any trouble finding a private spot either at the beach or by the pool. We went snorkeling one morning and it ended up being a private trip out to the barrier reef, where we spotted a nurse shark, many colorful fish and corals, and a pod of dolphins! We also took advantage of bike rentals, kayaking, tennis, and of course the excellent spa. We recommend purchasing a meal plan because food prices are quite high, and it definitely gives you peace of mind. All in all, this was an absolutely perfect vacation, and we highly recommend this resort to anyone. We will definitely be back!!!

Room Tip: We loved our ocean view room -- definitely worth the higher price for the amazing ocean views from a...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank espresso314

Reviewed 3 August 2012

The Parrot Cay resort offered my two daughters (11 and 13) exactly what I have been looking for an escape from New York. I was dubious about what the weather would be in July and was pleasantly surprised to find it much less hot then NY. Daily rain showers of a few minutes hardly dampened the experience. It was a joy to find a resort that has elements of the Asian sensibility of hotel service so close to home. In that I mean a combination of gracious, well trained (although a few are on a slower route) staff at a beautiful location with a well appointed room. It is also important to note that the staff are a unique combination of locals and people that have been transferred from the owners other hotels primarily found in Asia. The locals bring a confidence and familiarity that I have often found trounced in many other hotels purporting to be of a similar ilk in Bermuda and the Caribbean. As they interact so much with the guests it remains a strong reason why the management has seem to gotten this hotel so right.

I booked at the last moment (Sat.) because one of my daughters had "broken" her foot and we felt it was time to head for relaxation (Mon.) I was dubious about what the weather would be in July and was pleasantly surprised to find it much less hot then NY. Daily rain showers of a few minutes hardly dampened the experience. The flights from NY were another reason to pop down to Parrot Cay. They were inexpensive, 3 hours, and the times were perfect. By the afternoon we were happily ensconced in an elegant one bedroom villa on the beach with 4 showers (two outside) a small pool, and a view that was stunning. I felt the resort had taken our humble reservation, understood their occupancy had responded by accommodating us in a lovely villa. While I have no expectations such a thing could happen again I am aware that this is a resort team thinking about the well being of the guest.

The food was excellent with a few minor bumps along the way. We preferred the Asian inspired restaurant near the pool for both lunch and dinner. Breakfast was at the main restaurant and was lavish and well done.

As I was there with two children I want to mention that we found it a perfect respite despite their ages and despite the lack of social life served up. They did find another young girl and that was great. However even if it had only been us we all agreed that the pace was still great. We all read a great deal, we went scuba-diving, we went back to Provo for a Kayak tour, and we watched a movie in our room. The girls loved the service by golf cart that originally we needed because of my daughters foot. Eventually the potential break in her growth plate seemed to reveal itself to be a less serious sprain. She ditched her black boot cast and crutches and took it easy.

The spa was exceptional and I would take advantage of it earlier in my vacation next time. One treatment seemed awkward ( the salt scrub and massage) as it did not seem to flow well. But two other treatments were possibly the best I have had anywhere. I had hoped to treat the girls to a service but in Parrot Cay's awareness of the Spa being an oasis of calm they have created a policy of 16 and older for the facility. Well appreciated but perhaps a thought to doing something in the room for the younger set may be suggested. The resort did offer a chance for a lovely woman to braid each of their hair and while this is not listed it was worth asking for.
The bottom line was that we enjoyed it, and it offered us what we needed in our holiday. We will go back.

Room Tip: Dream of the one bedroom villa on the beach
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 29 July 2012

Spent 5 nights at Parrot Cay with hubby and baby staying in a garden view room based on the higher level so you could still see the ocean. Transfers were well organised by the hotel. Room was air conditioned, spacious and equipped despite the decor being a little simple/basic compared to what I normally experience with 5 star hotels. Staff all appeared very cheerful and happy to accommodate any requests we had e.g. mosquito net over crib and highchair in room. Included in our package were all meals and 3 spa treatments for both me and my husband at the COMO Shambala Spa which was AMAZING... as was the superbly picturesque beach (the colour of the water simply takes your breathe away). Lots of families staying at Parrot Cay as well as couples but never felt like this was an issue e.g. plenty of beds by the pool/beach area and not hectic. Food was good and was happy with the dining choices, some dishes repeated but it really wasn't a bother. Overall had a nice time, loses a star due to rooms being a bit outdated.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 23 July 2012

Parrot Cay is a classic Carribean getaway with a plantation-style main building and manicured grounds. If you stay in a Como suite, as we did, you'll be a short walk from the wide white beach and just steps from the two restaurants. Our suite was very spacious and comfortable with an enormous balcony overlooking pretty but sterile grounds between us and the gym building. The food here is very good; too bad the service isn't better, especially at The Terrace, where it was glacial. Good thing the atmosphere was so pleasant or we would have left. Same thing with the cocktails at the two bars (but only open if the restaurants are serving that night) -- grass grows faster than drinks are prepared here. Luckily the beach service is fairly prompt and smiling.

The ocean is very shallow here so no waves to knock you over. Afternoon tea snacks offered in the main building are excellent. Too bad there's only tea to accompany them. On the whole, this is a nice place, but nothing really striking except the view over the infinity pool.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

20.2 km away
The Regent Grand
The Regent Grand
#6 of 44 in Providenciales

Been to COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos? Share your experiences!