“Parrot Cay is wonderful, even with frustrating weather”

COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Parrot Cay
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I spent 6 nights in Parrot Cay and the resort is top notch. I needed some “unobserved” time to recharge away from my children and lovely husband. I spent a few days solo and then a good friend met me for a few days. I think this is a wonderful resort to travel to alone if you so desire. I felt safe, well cared for, and since I could get room service with fabulous food, I didn’t have to dine solo at night if I didn’t want to. I stayed in a one bedroom beach house and it was fantastic. My idea of heaven, beachy chic, teak, white linens, mosquito netting, a screened in porch, 2 bathrooms and a kitchen with dining table. Plenty of good quality towels a plunge pool, 2 loungers, high end sheets and bedding, and wonderful Como Shambala products in the bathrooms. Drifting off to sleep listening to the lapping of waves and the soft crickets is just wonderful. The food here is outstanding, I just don’t know how they pull it off on a remote island. Most Caribbean islands I have been to, which the exception of St.Barths, have mediocre food at best. I had room service most nights, and lunch at Lotus, breakfast on my deck.

The spa treatments were very good, the new spa area very nice. One problem with the spa is that when you check in no one tells you the lay of the land. I only found out on the 3rd treatment by default that there was a beautiful ladies locker room with a steam room and amazing huge outdoor Jacuzzi. How I wish I had known this after walking in the rain to my treatment to arrive cold and wet. I was handed a towel, but since I was 30 minutes early, I think it would have been an idea for the attendant to suggest a hot tub or steam.
Same goes with a lap pool still undiscovered – perhaps a map of these amenities would be helpful available to guests in their rooms, or have the welcome attendant
( like every other 5 star spa in the world ) introduce you to the space and show you what it what.
Also, the AC is cranked up too high in the spa. It is noticeably cold when you walk in, and the same for the treatments rooms I was in. The first treatment was actually not very enjoyable for me as I was really cold, and asked my therapist at least 5 times to cover me up, or turn up the heat. The reflexology I had the next day, I asked the therapist right away to turn off the AC and that treatment was fantastic.

My friend that arrived had mentioned she would have liked different time options on the yoga classes. It was offered 5 times a week, and a little too early for her taste.

I agree with a few other reviewers on a few topics:

The Thai staff is amazing, and one of the reasons this resort is preeminent. The other staff range from helpful and smiling to a few downright dour. The front desk staff needs a main person in charge that you can talk with that is a manager type. Nobody seems to be in charge. My friend and I joked that “The Wizard “ as in of OZ was in the office to the right of the front desk, but any requests or enquiries had to be asked to a not particularly helpful person at the desk who went back and asked the Wizard if it was ok or not. While they are helpful in a very laid back way, their attitude comes off as lackadaisical and that’s not great for a resort of this caliber. Especially when they are the ones checking you in and out – they didn’t ask me how I liked my stay, or to have a safe journey (only if I’d had anything from the mini bar this am ) a real difference compared to our lovely smiling Thai golf cart driver that waves to you as long as he can see you as you depart on the boat.

Nobody should consider taking their young children here. I know this probably will not be a popular view with some, I know you love your kids, as I love mine, but this is a sophisticated adults retreat. I chose PC with the hefty price tag attached for the privacy, food, chic accommodation and quiet seclusion. To hear crying babies at the pool, all day ( thankfully I could return to my private slice of heaven ) is just not on and seems to me to be highly unaware of the parents. There are so many better options that are also of a high quality on Provo with all sorts of activities for the youngsters.

The beach houses could use a bit of sprucing up – just a bit – grout in bathrooms, paint touch up etc. While the mattress was comfortable, it seemed only to be so because of a down topper. New high end mattresses would be a good idea. Also, slightly strange that it happened without communication, but we had two new locks put on our screen doors while we were out at lunch. We wondered why - routine maintenance or security problem?

I am not sure about the weather in February. While I love this resort, our weather was so bad ( probably the worst I have encountered on a Caribbean trip ever ) I would have to seriously consider returning at a different time of the year. Most days started with beautiful sunshine to give way to clouds at 10am, to scattered showers to monsoon like rain about 11m for the remainder of the day. If you were lucky the sun might sneak out again before sunset. So all in all you got about 2 hours of sun and then the rest soggy and cold. Frustrating. We had one beautiful day of sunshine and the day we left was also monsoon like. I have to think it was unusual as we heard Provo had been sunny the whole time, but it definitely put a downer on the whole trip for us.

Apart from the unfortunate weather which is out of the resorts control and my few stated quibbles, Parrot Cay continues to be a haven of exclusivity, one which I am sure of returning to, when I need to recharge once again. Highly recommended.

P.S. The Saturday night barbecue was delicious and fun. We really enjoyed the singer on Saturday the 11th Feb. What a talent!

Room Tip: If you can swing the price tag go for an ocean front beach house. I would not spend the extra money...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
7  Thank Sinclair36
ThibautCOMO, Director of Sales at COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

There are newer reviews for COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos

Reviewed 13 February 2012

We just got back from 5 days at parrot cay. We have been to many islands and the mainland but wanted to try a private island. Unfortunately it rained some of the time. The staff was very robotic, said all the nice words but there was no warmth. The natives that worked at the resort were very warm, but the employees from Bali were not. THe hotel did nothing to make the guest feel better during the rain. Nothing changed even though it rained for hours. No yoga or meditation classes were added, no drinks were offered-nothing. The rooms were dated-we don't like showers without doors. The breakfast was definitely the highlight of the food. Lunch was okay-fish tacos were great, but dinner was nothing special. The saturday night BBQ food was much better. The prices on the dinner menu were like being robbed. $24 for a salad is too high anywhere. Entrees were $40s and desserts were $18.
The staff was much better when it was sunny, handed out cool towels on the beach. Beach is pretty, water is beautiful, chairs are a little uncomfortable.
If you want an island getaway there are plenty of other places to try and I suggest you skip parrot cay.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for an ocean view-if you book a garden view you can get a free upgrade if an ocean...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Laurie E

Reviewed 12 February 2012

Rarely does a resort outshine its website but Parrot Cay does. The beach is much better than the site suggests. It's long and beautiful. A reef protects the beach so the water is great for swimming. Other standouts at PC: the food is excellent; the staff is friendly (tho communicating can be a problem as most are from Bali); the spa is fantastic with many different types of treatments in an unbelievably pretty setting; the free daily yoga or Pilates classes; the pool is beautiful; the gym is top-notch (plenty of cardio as well as strength machines). What didn't we like? The weather, which of course the resort can't control. But of our 11 days here it rained 5. My only other thought: PC lacks a personality. There is no one (or no someones) out front, leading this place. If you have a question, you could try asking your waiter but you're most likely to get a smile, not an answer.

Room Tip: We were in 605, an ocean-facing room. Great view and An easy walk to breakfast.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 February 2012

My husband, daughter and I went in late October to Parrot Cay and stayed in a one bedroom beachouse! This was our third trip to Parrot Cay and although it was wonderful the rooms were not updated or renovated. The shower stall was slippery so my daughter slipped and fell and thank God she was okay! The food was great however it is hit or miss! One big disappointment were the huge prawns that were not deveined or cleaned! Overall it was very beautiful and peaceful, however the prices have increased and I doubt we will return!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank ebernabo

Reviewed 29 January 2012

It takes planes, vans, boats, and golf carts to get you there, but once you arrive....fabulous! The beach is pristine white, sugary sand...the water a gorgeous turquios color. Beach staff eager to help you enjoy all the resort has to offer. The whole staff was attentive and accomadating. The rooms were large and beautiful. We had a gorgeous balcony/deck overlooking the water. Beautiful to wake up to and watch the sunset. The only negative is that there are few places to eat and the menu's are limited and very pricey for what you are getting. The spa was very nice but I reccomend booking your appointments ahead of time. I tried to add a treatment during my stay and was shut out. We look forward to returning to Parrot Cay!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

20.2 km away
The Regent Grand
The Regent Grand
#6 of 44 in Providenciales

Been to COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos? Share your experiences!