Review Highlights
World Class Diving

If you’re looking to detach from life in the fast lane this is the place to go. Salt Cay is a small... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
Debbie z
Shawsville
Unspoiled diving.

Salt Cay is hard to get to but the diving is worth the effort. Debbie Manos owns & operates Salt... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
Denny C
Blacksburg, Virginia

All reviews whale watching dive master dive sites dive shop bar grill carolina skiff key lime pie whale encounters see whales minute boat ride the reefs fish dive experience tiny island closer look answered all of our questions grand turk
Reviewed 21 March 2018 via mobile

We had an amazing experience with Salt Cay divers. Richard was a skilled captain and whale spotter! Victoria was very knowledgeable and answered all our questions about whales. We had multiple whale encounters and were even able to get in and swim with a mom and her calf. Debbie was very helpful with setting up our trip and provided a wonderful lunch after whale watching. This was a definite highlight of our entire vacation! Thanks Debbie and all at Salt Cay divers.

Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

This review covers Salt Cay Divers as well as the island itself.
I began emailing Debbie about visiting Salt Cay before Hurricane Irma hit the island. She answered all of my emails and kept us up to date on the recovery & availability.
The people of the small island are extremely friendly and hospitable. We are grateful for those who stopped and answered our questions.
We stayed at the cabanas (Villas of Salt Cay) and loved it. The rooms sit on the west shoreline, and with no AC, we fell asleep and woke each day to the sound of the waves crashing along shore. The temperature was perfect as well. We experienced a few minor problems with the room, but Isaac was available and fixed everything.
We visited 2 of the local stores. Prices are higher, but you must keep in mind where you are.
After walking a lot on our first day, Debbie located bicycles for us to rent from Willie. They were fantastic and allowed us to visit virtually every part of the island.
Our whale watching adventure with Salt Cay Divers was perfect. Richard was our captain and we were accompanied by whale biologists Victoria and Christina who not only were collecting data but also answering questions from those on the boat. We were blessed to see, snorkel with, hear and capture photos of the beautiful, enormous, peaceful & graceful humpbacks.
We enjoyed lunch & dinner at the Coral Reef Bar & Grill eating conch and/or fresh fish at most meals.
We are amateur bird watchers, but we were able to see and photograph several species on the island (Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Flamingo, Osprey, Kestrel, Kingfisher, Yellow Warbler and White-tailed Tropic Bird just to name a few).
We could not locate the iguanas, but we did interact with the herd of cattle and the donkeys.
The laid back, easy going pace of this non-resort island isn't for everyone, but it's exactly what made it our dream vacation.

2  Thank twinsm0m
splash004, Manager at Salt Cay Divers, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2018

We so loved having you here and happy you had a great adventure. Thanks for your kind review and we certainly hope you return again soon! Whales are almost here again!
Debbie

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

Our experience in Salt Cat was truly wonderful.
You can't beat Debbie, who was kind, genuine and on top of it all from the Coral Reef Bar and Grill.
Ollie was great running the dive shop. He was patient with my 16 yr old son. The diving was great. Even had a humpback at the beginning of one of our dives. Hearing the whale song in the distance was so special.
Richard and the researchers ran the whale excursion and did a wonderful job. We had such a great time that we did it twice. We snorkeled with mother, newborn calf and an escort male. They kept circling back and got so close. It was pure magic.
Also observed breeding behavior from the boat the next day.
Enye serves up delicious food with kindness to top it all off.
A wonderful bunch of people. The island got hit hard last fall by hurricanes but the place is bouncing back.
With Debbie at the helm, Ollie diving the beautiful walls, Richard & company finding whales, and Enye serving up delicious meals it's truly paradise off the grid.
You won't be sorry!

Reviewed 27 February 2018

Debbie and Richard created once in a lifetime experiences for me. Since I wasn't able to get a diving certification before my trip to Salt Cay, I took a resort diving course from Debbie and Richard. Debbie taught the academics, going over the material in a calm, detailed manner, answering all of my questions and putting me at ease. Richard taught safety measures in the water and I was able to then actually go on a dive. I know for certain if it hadn't been for Richard's patience and instruction, I wouldn't have had such a positive experience. It was truly an amazing opportunity to see all of the beautiful ocean life with such an experienced dive master. I had such a great time that I went on a second dive and am so happy that I did. The whale watching trips were also fantastic - Richard has some sort of sixth sense for finding the whales and I won't forget any of it. Thanks to Debbie, Richard and Willy. :)

Date of experience: February 2018
Reviewed 7 February 2018

My boyfriend and I were originally planning to stay in Provo but then we read about Salt Cay and the humpback whale migration that occurs in the waters around the tiny island. We immediately changed our plans and are so happy we did. Debbie responded promptly to all of my inquiries and arranged for us to get picked up at the (VERY TINY) airport and taken directly to the dive shop for our first dive. While there wasn't a ton to see on that first dive, hearing the whale songs was amazing and otherworldly. The diving got much more interesting on the rest of our dives and by the time we left we had seen 3 spotted eagle rays, 2 turtles, several reef sharks, a sleeping nurse shark a spotted eel, an octopus and countless varieties of reef fish. The reef is quite healthy and Richard is a fantastic dive master! His love for the reef and the whales that frequent the waters around Salt Cay is very evident. Definitely go during the humpback whale season, as seeing these magnificent creatures up close is an unforgettable experience. Thank you Salt Cay Divers, we'll be back!

Date of experience: February 2018