“Excellent snorkeling and whale watching on the amazing Salt Cay waters!”
Review of Salt Cay Divers

Salt Cay Divers
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We went on two adventures with Salt Cay Divers.

Our first trip with Salt Cay Divers was a whale watching trip. We knew it was late in the season to see whales, but Richard was able to track them down. We spotted a mom and her baby and watched them swim right under the boat. We saw eight humpbacks in total. As a bonus, we had two marine biology students on the boat who were eager to share their knowledge of whales with us.

Our second trip with Salt Cay Divers was a snorkeling trip. Richard took us over to Cotton Cay to snorkel in calm waters. Saw plenty of fish and a great mix as well, including a few barracuda and two eels. Our second snorkel stop was was in deeper water above a huge marblehead, which was which was like snorkeling above an aquarium. Really an amazing sight to see and swim around.

Richard, the resident dive master and boat captain, is incredibly nice and happily answered all of our questions about Salt Cay and the water around it. Richard also has a great laugh.

The boat is nothing fancy, which fits the Salt Cay vibe, but It does have a bimini top to keep you out of the sun. You'll probably get a little wet from spray coming off the water, but not a big deal. Just wear quick dry clothing and you'll be fine.

We brought our own snorkel gear, but you can rent equipment from Salt Cay Divers if need be.

It's worth the trip to see Salt Cay from the water and to get a closer look at what lives beneath that beautiful Turks & Caicos water.

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"tiny island"
"closer look"
in 2 reviews
"answered all of our questions"
"octopus"
"great dive"
"turks caicos"

Reviewed 21 March 2018 via mobile

We had an amazing experience with Salt Cay divers. Richard was a skilled captain and whale spotter! Victoria was very knowledgeable and answered all our questions about whales. We had multiple whale encounters and were even able to get in and swim with a mom and her calf. Debbie was very helpful with setting up our trip and provided a wonderful lunch after whale watching. This was a definite highlight of our entire vacation! Thanks Debbie and all at Salt Cay divers.

Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

This review covers Salt Cay Divers as well as the island itself.
I began emailing Debbie about visiting Salt Cay before Hurricane Irma hit the island. She answered all of my emails and kept us up to date on the recovery & availability.
The people of the small island are extremely friendly and hospitable. We are grateful for those who stopped and answered our questions.
We stayed at the cabanas (Villas of Salt Cay) and loved it. The rooms sit on the west shoreline, and with no AC, we fell asleep and woke each day to the sound of the waves crashing along shore. The temperature was perfect as well. We experienced a few minor problems with the room, but Isaac was available and fixed everything.
We visited 2 of the local stores. Prices are higher, but you must keep in mind where you are.
After walking a lot on our first day, Debbie located bicycles for us to rent from Willie. They were fantastic and allowed us to visit virtually every part of the island.
Our whale watching adventure with Salt Cay Divers was perfect. Richard was our captain and we were accompanied by whale biologists Victoria and Christina who not only were collecting data but also answering questions from those on the boat. We were blessed to see, snorkel with, hear and capture photos of the beautiful, enormous, peaceful & graceful humpbacks.
We enjoyed lunch & dinner at the Coral Reef Bar & Grill eating conch and/or fresh fish at most meals.
We are amateur bird watchers, but we were able to see and photograph several species on the island (Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Flamingo, Osprey, Kestrel, Kingfisher, Yellow Warbler and White-tailed Tropic Bird just to name a few).
We could not locate the iguanas, but we did interact with the herd of cattle and the donkeys.
The laid back, easy going pace of this non-resort island isn't for everyone, but it's exactly what made it our dream vacation.

2  Thank twinsm0m
Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

Our experience in Salt Cat was truly wonderful.
You can't beat Debbie, who was kind, genuine and on top of it all from the Coral Reef Bar and Grill.
Ollie was great running the dive shop. He was patient with my 16 yr old son. The diving was great. Even had a humpback at the beginning of one of our dives. Hearing the whale song in the distance was so special.
Richard and the researchers ran the whale excursion and did a wonderful job. We had such a great time that we did it twice. We snorkeled with mother, newborn calf and an escort male. They kept circling back and got so close. It was pure magic.
Also observed breeding behavior from the boat the next day.
Enye serves up delicious food with kindness to top it all off.
A wonderful bunch of people. The island got hit hard last fall by hurricanes but the place is bouncing back.
With Debbie at the helm, Ollie diving the beautiful walls, Richard & company finding whales, and Enye serving up delicious meals it's truly paradise off the grid.
You won't be sorry!

See more reviews
Reviewed 27 February 2018

Debbie and Richard created once in a lifetime experiences for me. Since I wasn't able to get a diving certification before my trip to Salt Cay, I took a resort diving course from Debbie and Richard. Debbie taught the academics, going over the material in a calm, detailed manner, answering all of my questions and putting me at ease. Richard taught safety measures in the water and I was able to then actually go on a dive. I know for certain if it hadn't been for Richard's patience and instruction, I wouldn't have had such a positive experience. It was truly an amazing opportunity to see all of the beautiful ocean life with such an experienced dive master. I had such a great time that I went on a second dive and am so happy that I did. The whale watching trips were also fantastic - Richard has some sort of sixth sense for finding the whales and I won't forget any of it. Thanks to Debbie, Richard and Willy. :)