“Perfect weekend with children”
Review of Hotel Castell

Hotel Castell
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Zuoz
Zurich, Switzerland
“Perfect weekend with children”
Reviewed 2 September 2012 via mobile

We came here with another family with small children. We had a great time!! There are a plenty of play area for all weather in the hotel and staff at kindergarten is very friendly and responsible. The food was okay, not so special but the selections of local produce is excellent. The service staff is rather unfriendly for this type of hotel but okay. The rooms are nicely designed and have great views of the valley and mountains. I was disappointed about the minimum amenities in the bathroom. There were local wall nuts cake and a house-made jam as a welcome gift. The selections of arts in the hotel make your stay very special if you like contemporary art. Hamam was nice but I should have stayed longer for
Massage and outdoor bath experience. We would definitely come back!

• Stayed September 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Stayed there with my whole family for an extended weekend and just had a wonderful time. Excellent Service, friendly staff and the hotel is very charming. The food as well the newly opened Hamam are great. Nothing to complain about and we are definitely are coming back!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Zurich
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I was actually not sure I should write a review of this wonderful place because I fear I will never be able to make a reservatin during high season again... Previous writers have already commented on the great combination of scenic setting, historic building and the great rooms with traditional materials but modern design. The family suites - two rooms with an internal connecting door - are great.

Others reviewed the gorgeous spa - and my two massages were wonderful, too! - so let me say something about their child care arrangements, because this is really special. You can leave your child for dinner with a daycare (or rather evening care!) worker and have a quiet dinner with your spouse. Ditto if you want to use the spa. I found the young ladies working there nice, they dealt nicely with a group of five to eight kids, drawing or reading them stories. Even the nine year olds listened and behaved. We also enjoyed the movie night. In general, the staff is very friendly, and very family friendly (if you've been to certain places in Switzerland or France, you know that this is not always the case).

So this is a super nice place if you're travelling with family and don't care for the super snobs of St. Moritz.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Penang, Malaysia
Reviewed 14 July 2012

I agree with other reviewers The building has been perfectly restored, the rooms are well-appointed and cosy. The contemporary art theme is carried out all through the hotel, with humour and elegance (one wishes one cd buy some works). All the musts of a top-class mountain hotel are there, including a vey good spa - and a very good breakfast buffet. Zuoz is a lovely and relatively unspoilt Oberengadin village, a perfect basis for a week stay in the area - much better than Pontresina, Celerina or St Moritz (Sils is nice, but too far towards the Maloja in my opinion).

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Stefano M
Castell7524, Manager at Hotel Castell, responded to this review, 17 July 2012
Many thanks for your positive feedback and for your effort in writing this review - we appreciate it! We're sending our best wishes and hope that we may welcome you again at the Castell in the future
Norwich, Vermont
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Hello

I discovered this gem in the Engadin mountains during the third week of June 2012 (I stayed three nights). Imagine someone who has a flair (and prescient taste) for art and hospitality and relaxation, and who designs a hotel around these themes. Perched up on a hill in Zuoz (and built I think 10 years ago from a castle-like structure), it offers views of the Engadin alps (I had a balcony), fresh air, quiet and the best water I ever tried (seriously, I could not believe it, it is the softest water I ever had).

My room was a chic modern room, spacious, double twin bed was super comfortable and as I said breath taking view. No air conditioning, AC is very rare in Switzerland (I did write that a fan should be available to AC spoiled Americans :D)

They put out a bottle of that Zuoz water and I thought, OK, water .. then I tried it. I drank that 0.7l bottle in 10 minutes. I continued to drink massive amounts of that Zuoz water while I was there. If you like Evian, and water that has been char-coaled filtered, you will love this water.

The spa, a Turkish Hamam, was a revelation to me. You are not fully naked, but get a thin towel and aluminum bowls, beautiful olive soap (sooo smooth) and walk through 7 stations: Different types of steam rooms (eukalyptus, other herbs), crystal-clear small relaxation pool, showers;it's sort of a meandering through water in various forms to relax, takes about 1-2h. I did not want to leave.

I was immediately struck at how happy the attendant, Ralph, looked. Turns out he came to Zuoz for a couple of months from Germany and then stayed 5+ years. The guys just exudes relaxation and happiness, he clearly loves his job. He explained the steps to me and my wife, and after doing the tour (and continuing to drink that water), I relaxed in the chill out room while Ralph brought me dates and nuts and tea. I really did not want to get up.

On Ralph's recommendation, I had a 45 minute Hawaiian massage called lomi lomi nui. It's an all around oily massage that really was worth the extra cost. I should add that the massage staff is Swiss-licensed (stringent education and hands-on training) and, like all staff I encountered (about 8 people incl cleaning and restaurant) across the board highly educated and happy.

Breakfast was bountiful, just enough variety, very high quality ingredients - bread was to die for, as well as the eggs from the region (in general, try the regional products, and you will know the difference between food that is generated for people by people who care, and that which isn't when you get back to the US). Try the vitamin juice, it's freshly made.

In sum: The hotel's stylish yet relaxed ambiance and the staff's disposition and competence reinforce one another; as a guest this is a fortuitous and welcome combination. I really enjoyed my stay and recommended it to my sister who will be staying in August. I'll be back for sure for a longer stay with my wife and children. I wish I were there right now!

Daniel Bilar
Norwich VT

p.s To top it all off: I fancied a 1920s poster of Zuoz near the Hamam and inquired at the desk whether there was a way for me to get hold of a facsimile near the end of my stay. Sadly, the poster was not produced anymore. The Castell director, Mr Silvan Auf der Maur, not 5 hours after I had left, took the initiative to investigate: The originals were indeed not sold anymore (he checked in St Moritz), but he went on to two vintage poster sites and presented me with links enabling me to order that poster.

If there is one thing professionals can recognize, it is other dedicated professionals. One hallmark of this is how the staff made us feel while we were there, the other was this going the extra mile. People matter the most.

p.p.s Be sure to eat at Restaurant Dorta down the hill, the Barley soup is the best I ever had and they put special herbs in their home made grappa.

Room Tip: Get a mountain view room with a balcony if possible