See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 September 2015 via mobile

Wow that's all I can say. Beautifully clean hotel. Spotless throughout and room was brilliant. Very high standard throughout. Well appointed kitchenette with everything you need for a short or longer break. Staff are so friendly too. Shame we could only stay for one night as we would have loved to have stayed longer. Bathroom high spec and great patio balcony. Well travelled in Crete and this is in the top 3.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank callan25
Reviewed 14 September 2011

We stayed at Hotel Iliaki for 1 night in late August. We arrived in Matala with out any reservations and just looked around. Antonia the owner was wonderful. She set us up with 2 rooms with a private common hallway for a great price. The rooms were clean and nicely decorated. Great location away from the busy beach strip but only about a minute to the beach.

Matala is well worth seeing! The Roman catacombs are a great adventure, my kids loved it (me too!). We almost skipped it due to the iffy write up in the "Rough Guide". Glad we didn't one of the highlight of a great trip!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank CuriousSky
Reviewed 5 October 2010

I have stayed at the pension Iliaki at matala on September 18th 2010 , for a total of 3 nights.The only reason i have decided to write a few words about it is to help your readers spend a better time at Matala than i did. To make it short, it is by far the smallest room i have ever stayed at, one could either lie on the bed or simply leave the room as there is no space for anything else. Should you have a regular piece of luggage, watch out , it is either you or your bag that can fit in the room. And it gets worse... ; impossible to get a good night sleep, the matress that you lie on must date since the `80s and not been changed since. You lie to bed in good help and you wake up with at least a back problem. And if you stay more than one night, then you get sick. My friends occupied the room next door, exactly the same thing. However, the pension is well located, a few meters from the sea (as pretty much all the pensions at Matala) while the host is very friendly, serviable, eager to give you directions around Crete, offer you coffee. Unfortunately, this does not compensate for the pension itself.
My advise, skip it...

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Zina_10
iliaki, Owner at Hotel Sunshine Matala, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

Our rooms are well renovated as we do it every year!

There are many different types of accommodations just to fit on the needs of our customers such as apartments, studios e.t.c.

We had never room mattresses from 80's as you describe and we change them every year when they need to be changed and all the old ones we give them to local charity organizations. For example the latest changing of all mattresses of the hotel was in 2012!

All our customers that they are coming continuously every year in our hotel and they spend their vacations here with us are the best answer of the quality of the accommodation that we are offering!

Thank you very much and we hope to see you again here, having relaxed holidays as Matala offer's to the guests!

Reviewed 21 September 2010

I last visited Matala, Crete 18 years ago, and took my girlfriend there to see what I always raved about. Matala, about an hour from Iraklion on the south shore (the far less developed and in my opinion, better shore) is a still little discovered gem about as South as you can get in the Mediterranean without being in Africa. It sits on a little cove with small mountains framing it, one of which is riddled with caves. They light it up at night, which is quite spectacular. You can eat at a number of restaurants on the beach and watch one of my favorite sunsets in Europe. The whole town, grown since I was last there, is still only a few streets in size.

Pension Iliaki is a small hotel one street in (which is as close as you can get to the beach, a minute walk away). It is run by a kindly woman, whose name I'm embarrassed to say, I did not get, but who, with limited English (her son and daughter are better at it), was warm and helpful at all times. We had a fridge in our room and a small veranda that seated two. When we got in she told us she would move us up one floor if we preferred it(there is no sea view, the beach has restaurants, so we didn't bother). We stayed three nights and had no complaints. There is a/c, an en suite bathroom, you can get coffee/tea in the morning, and can buy breakfast for I believe 6 Euros (we chose the bakery a block away ourselves). Most of the other pensions were about the same size, and there is a hotel in town, but for 40 Euros a night , it is hard to do better than we did here, and the family was delightful.

Matala is a great place (unless you want nightclubs or big crowds - then stay on the north shore), and perhaps too far from the mainland ever to get too big (I hope so, anyway). I recommend the town for 3-4 days and Iliaki, in particular. You won't be sorry.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RebelTimeTraveler
Reviewed 14 January 2005

Hello to all.
I was in Matala on summer 2004! I stayed in Pension Iliaki for two weeks with my family. It's a very clean and beautiful pension and it's very near the sea! Matala is a very beautiful place, you can't miss it!

4  Thank Global26658