“A perfect surfing experience”
Review of Safari Surf School

Safari Surf School
More attraction details
Owner description: Safari Surf School is the premier surf school and surf camp in Costa Rica. In addition to instilling a passion for surfing, you'll also be immersed in native culture and treated to local style. Being taught to surf by true professionals with a "Pura Vida" attitude is the only way to go! Listed on National Geographic's top outfitters on Earth. Check us out.
Scottsdale, Arizona
“A perfect surfing experience”
Reviewed 1 February 2012

My husband and I just returned from Safari Surf School located in Nosara, Costa Rica. I grew up spending time in Hawaii every year and my husband and I return there frequently, so we thought we'd always had it pretty good when it came to surfing, as far as being beginners was concerned. But Safari Surf was an incredible experience, far better than anything we'd ever encountered in Hawaii! The weather and water temp were perfect (and I'm usually ALWAYS cold) since we were there during the dry season (Jan. 21 through 28), but what really made our vacation so great was the fact that not only are in in a beutiful, remote surf town, but the people are just so nice! It all started with Marsi, who worked tirelessly to find us and our friends (another couple we went with) the perfect rental home and answered all our questions, then Peter, who coordinated our activities perfectly, to Tyler who organized our twice daily surf lessons, and finally to Prado, who was an incredible surf instructor. The atmosphere is laid back, but our needs and requests were efficiently met, and it was an overall fantastic experience!

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Best vacation ever, period. Tyler will give you the shoes off his feet, literally”
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Even if you're not not surfing you need to experience the feel of Nosara that the Safari crew puts out. Very laid back, great instruction, great value and relaxing are the key words for our trip. (more about the shoes later)

From the second we stepped off the plane, we were taken care of immediately. Transfers were flawless, Nico greeted us at the Tucan when we arrived and gave us the lowdown on the week. You can't help but relax and you can venture away from the grounds or have everything you need there. Our padkages included meals, massages and ziplinng. Strongly recommend all. The only thing missing was an extra pair of lungs for me.

Pio, Owen, Nico (Kim k!), prado, helberth, Alonso and Enrique were amazing instructors. They weren't rushing to the next lesson when we were done and were always around for beverages for lunch or dinner. Great conversation and fun....something they have a lot of in Nosara.

Locals are great. Very hospitable. My travel mate forgot to tell me about closed toed shoes for zip lining so we were in a bit of a jam but Tyler came to the rescue giving me his first thing in the am. We grabbed em, hit Miss Sky's then grabbed some ceviche on the way back at a local gas station. Odd, maybe, but Nico steered me in the right direction because it was the best ceviche I've had!

I've been all over the world, around the Caribbean but have never been to a more relaxing place that can be whatever you want it to.....need to relax? It's there. Want to be more active? No worries.

You'll breathe easier after a few days there, guaranteed or Tyler returns your money, isn't that awesome?

Just kidding. Do yourself a favor and visit Nosara and the SSS Crew.

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Very highly recommended - a great experience in all ways”
Reviewed 21 January 2012

I cannot overstate how much I enjoyed my time in Nosara with the Safari Surf School crew. I have years of experience living, working and traveling in far-flung parts of the world, and would normally not seek out a "package" travel option - but I had been wanting to learn to surf, and some web research led me to SSS, which ended up providing an even better experience than I could have anticipated. Everything was virtually ideal, from the booking process (very responsive and flexible in accommodating travel dates, interests, etc) to the overall atmosphere in Nosara (relaxed, friendly and apparently tolerant toward all skill levels in the water!) to the surfing instructors (very competent, professional, friendly, and patient). The other guests I met at SSS also seemed to be having a great time - the environment and services appear to work well for solo travelers, couples, and families. SSS staff definitely give the impression of genuinely caring about each visitor's experience. I highly recommend SSS to anyone looking to learn or improve surfing skills in an environment that is both welcoming and professional.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Amazing, Life-Changing Experience!”
Reviewed 17 January 2012

All the instructors at Safari Surf School are patient, inspiring and know their craft. I thank Owen, Prado and Tyler for sharing their passion for surfing with my husband and I. We both got up on the board on our first lesson and it was definitely due to the amazing teaching skills of our instructors. My husband and I went to the Surf School to try and learn something that we can do together, and I will say that we were so inspired my our instructors lessons that we bought 2 surfboards yesterday and are going to continue our surfing adventure out here in Southern Cali! Our room at the Casa Tucan was clean and comfortable....felt very much at home. The food at the restaurant is great, and all the staff is friendly and welcoming. We will definitely be back to visit soon! :)

2 Thank vegantrav511
Fort Collins, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Can't wait to return”
Reviewed 14 January 2012

My husband and I spent a week at surf camp in December. It was an amazing experience. All of the people we encountered at Casa Tucan and the camp were delightful. The instructors are incredibly skilled and I was able to go from a complete beginner to catching some descent waves during the course of the week. We can't wait to go back and continue building our skills. Playa Guionnes is a cool town centered around surfing and yoga. It is very low key...a perfect retreat!

Visited December 2011