“Perfect weekend getaway!”
Review of Inn on the Harbour

Inn on the Harbour
Ranked #3 of 9 Port Stanley B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 October 2011

My husband and I spent a weekend at the Inn and had a wonderful experience. The lady that works the front desk was friendly and made us feel welcome. She gave us some restaurant suggestions and always had a smile on her face when we passed by her throughout the weekend. Our room (the safari suite), while not huge, was spacious, (immaculately) clean and nicely appointed. There were stacks of towels, in the washroom and next to the jacuzzi. The electric fireplace was nice to sit next to while catching up on a stack of magazines that I never seem to have time to get to. The only time we heard any sound coming from outside of our room, was when our neighbours were using the (outside) stairs to get to or from their room. In fact, there was a wedding reception being held at the restaurant next door and we didn't hear a single peep. Loved the fact that the room had a DVD player. We brought along some CD's to listen to during the day and some DVD's to watch at night. We ate at the Kettle Creek Inn the first night (we both thought our meals were only mediocre) and at My Suzy's the second night (both loved our meals this time around). For lunch, my husband got some fish and chips from a trailer/wagon which was located in the parking lot of the restaurant next door to the Inn. I'm sure it's owned and operated by the restaurant because we saw the cook go into the restaurant a couple of times for supplies. We were able to see this because we had a spacious deck outside of our room to sit out on that over looks the area surrounding the Inn. During the day, we walked around town and wandered through the shops, walked along the beach (nice wide sandy area), had some wine on our deck and took the 1 hour train ride. Check in and check out were a breeze. We were given a coupon to use for a future stay in celebration of the Inn's anniversary (10 years for the main Inn and 3 for the Little Inn) which we think we may very well take advantage of. Our only disappointment was the breakfast. While the provided breakfast basket was adequately stocked, we much prefer a sit down cooked meal while on holiday. Having said that, I read the fine print and knew ahead of time what the offerings were so I picked up some juice, fresh cut fruit, croissants, and yogurt the morning we left home for our trip to Port Stanley. For anyone interested, there is a Foodland grocery store down the street (2 minute drive) so you could do the same. I would highly recommend this Inn. It's quite charming, cosy and once you unload your car, you can pretty much walk everywhere. Can't wait to visit again:)

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GabbaGabba

Reviewed 29 August 2011

It was Just after Christmas, and Toronto hadn't seen any snow yet. I had just got home from a month stay in Mexico and my girl friend planned a surprise night stay at the Inn on the Harbor. There was a blizzard that night, which made the town desolate and only a few people staying in the Inn. The Inn was very peaceful. We had the room with the Jacuzzi tub over looking the canal. It was a very inviting and romantic setting.

If I were to recommend this place, I would have to say to go in the middle of winter, because it feels like you have the whole town and the Inn to your self. Also there is an amazing dinner spotup the street called the Kettle Creek Inn. We had an amazing experience there and at the Inn and memories we will hold forever.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AaronAlexV
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Staff are welcoming and informative, giving you tips on things to do in the area.

Inn on the Harbour has two buildings - the main inn and the 'Little' Inn. We stayed at the main building. Rooms at the Inn on the Harbour vary in design and colour schemes.Some of them include a jacuzzi creating a romantic setting or just one of pure comfort after a day of travel. All have the very welcome air conditioning that is a must-have on hot, sticky summer days. The main lobby area has a Maritime feel to it, playing up on the fact that Port Stanley is a fishing town.

Beds include a nice, firm mattress which partnered with the extreme quietness of Port Stanley at night gives you a good night's rest.

Breakfast is served in the "lobby"/cafe area and on the outdoor patio if weather permits and consists of breads, cereals, fruit salad, croissants and other baked goods.

The Inn does not have its own restaurant, but this is fine as there are several great dining establishments in the vicinity.

I've posted a full review on my blog: http://www.suburbantourist.ca/2011/08/review-inn-on-harbour-in-port-stanley.html

Room Tip: Call ahead to reserve your room. Ask about rooms with a jacuzzi if you want a romantic time.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2011

We stayed in the Little Inn, the Safari room and have no complaints about the room, a very pleasant, spacious environment - comfortable bed.
When I made the reservation I was told that rooms in the Little Inn generally had breakfast placed in the fridge for the next morning, or we could go over to the main Inn for breakfast. I opted to go over to the main Inn. However when I mentioned that at check in I was told there was no note made on the reservation slip and all rooms in the Little Inn ate their breakfast there in their rooms. The receptionist did indicate she would check and get back to us - she never did. When checking out the breakfast basket I was shocked - 2 slices of ordinary sliced white bread, 2 ordinary English muffins, a small can of fruit, one yoghurt, various individual portions of toppings. For the prices they charge - very ordinary, Hampton Inns provide a much superior breakfast for their guests, we expected much better from one of Ontario's Finest Inns - which Inn on the Harbour claims to be! We also just returned from Europe, and let me tell you their continental breakfasts were amazing. The coffee provided ho hum too - regular motel type coffee and coffee makers. We went to the local bakery to pick up our morning coffees.
As for friendly staff? I noticed a Welsh flag flying at the entrance way, and remarked that I was Welsh and were the Innkeepers Welsh? "No idea, I just work here" was the curt response!
We were provided with suggestions for dining and both restauranst were enjoyable, Kettle Creek Inn the one night, Mickey's the next. And the Inn Keeper we spoke to at the Kettle Creek Inn was everything I would expect to find on walking into one of "Ontario's Finest Inns". The Inn on the Harbour? Does not in our estimation live up to that website's title!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank silverceleb
Reviewed 28 July 2011

The Inn on the Harbour is our special place when my wife and I just want to get away for a couple of days. The owner and staff are very friendly and welcome us warmly on each visit. The attention to detail in is amazing and the peacefulness and tranquility are definitely appreciated. The location of the inn on the harbour of Port Stanley is wonderful.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a better view of the harbour which is desirable.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
1.0 km away
Eagles Rest
Eagles Rest
#4 of 9 in Port Stanley

Been to Inn on the Harbour? Share your experiences!