“Best cafe in Hove!”
Review of Black Radish

Black Radish
Ranked #9 of 22 Coffee & Tea in Hove
Price range: USD 5 - USD 13
Description: Black Radish was started as a 'labour of love' by Jayne & Beverley in 2014. We wanted to sell excellent quality organic fruit, vegetables, and artisan products including handmade breads in an attractive shop. We've tried to create a modern and stylish environment while paying homage to the Parisian cosy cafes we both love. The result we hope is a lovely looking shop that our customers feel comfortable in and like to be in. We have a small cafe side and provide light lunches, cakes (some gluten free) and a range of filled Ciabatta & Focaccia . Our 'claim to fame' however is our help yourself salad bar in summer & freshly made soup in winter. We use only our own ingredients and take great pride in the quality of the food we provide. Our ethos is to listen to our customers and sell the products you want, while also introducing new, different, and sometimes more unusual artisan products - we love nothing more than to share a recipe and talk with you about food!
Reviewed 24 January 2017 via mobile

I love this place and try go here as often as possible for lunch. Their food is freshly made to order and tastes delicious.

The soups and coldpress juices are by far my favourite. They also have their own blend of coffee which is by far one of the best in Brighton & Hove.

They have a nice help yourself salad bar, and a specials menu too. They also sell other random quirky bits like chocolate pork scratchings.

Service is quick. The staff are helpful in every way. The atmosphere is lovely too.

Perfect for a quick breakfast or afternoon lunch/coffee. I love the fact they support local business too.

blackradish2015, Owner at Black Radish, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2017

Many thanks for the great review Aaron, we really appreciate all feedback. The fact that you come in regularly is a real compliment and we'll always make you a juice - no matter what time you come in!
We look forward to seeing you soon.
Jayne and Beverley

Reviewed 11 December 2016

It seems the way nowadays that to gain attention for your enterprise you have to name it by an unusual colour, the blue strawberry and so on, however, as Wikipedia has helped, a gray-black version does really exist!....
Now, I don't actually like the taste of the radish but I do like the Black Radish..
I got a takeaway cappo and a small sandwich of ham with Sussex cheddar and chilli jam. So far so good, and they were both really good.
It is not a big place when one side is offering organic produce and the space is taken up, on my visit with two young mothers and their pushchairs, one of whom (it is winter) unhelpfully leaves the front door wide open.
So there is little space for its other role as a cafe with just two tables and chairs while outside, for warmer sunnier times, there are a few more.
Other wall space is taken up by a tempting array of chutneys, local honey, and, that wonderful word, comestibles.
Would I return?
Probably, though not to stay and very much in the hope that the sandwich selection, and space for which!, had been expanded.

1  Thank frankieDorking
Reviewed 13 August 2016

I have been visiting Black Radish since it opened a couple of years ago and it has quickly become an important part of my weekly shop. It stocks the finest, organic fruit and veg which always taste superior to any supermarket equivalent. In addition, I have become completely addicted to the Smorles chilli humous, their home made salads and their amazing selection of artisan breads and cheeses and lets not forget the coffee. These guys take their coffee so seriously they even have their own Radish blend. I'm not sure what i'd do without my morning caffeine fix topped off with extraordinary customer service and fastidious attention to detail. The team in Black Radish are just lovely and enhance our community beyond measure. Keep up the excellent work guys. You totally rock.

blackradish2015, Owner at Black Radish, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2016

Many thanks Zoe for your great review. We do indeed take all aspects of the service we provide very seriously and try to maintain high standards at all times. When Jayne & I started Black Radish our wish was that we could establish ourselves as part of the community on the Portland Road and that people feel they can come in, have a chat, taste interesting and quality food and generally feel Black Radish is theirs as much as ours. Your review really makes us feel that we're achieving this and we really appreciate you taking the time to tell us - it makes a huge difference. We hope to see you soon for humous & salad!
Jayne and Beverley

Reviewed 8 August 2016

I am a local businessman who visited the Black radish on two consecutive Mondays, because my usual lunchtime venues don't open on Mondays.

On the first occasion I ordered a Ham and lettuce baguette. It came with tomato in it and though I realise it's being picky, I was disappointed as someone who can't stand tomatoes, that having been specific with my wording ended up with something I don't like. But worse still - the baguette was hard and didn't taste at all fresh.

Then today - just come back from the venue, to give them the benefit of the doubt - ordered for three of us. Two of us wanted ham, lettuce and mustard baguettes.
Only one of us could have the baguette, the other had to have a ciabatta. The first thing was the quality of bread - too tough - again the bread was hard and difficult to bite and chew.

But what I was surprised at was that the guy (believe to be the owner) served up parma ham as opposed the ham I had last week. Apparently they have changed their ham since last week.

Lastly, something which I didn't raise with the staff, was the prices on my receipt do not match up with the pricing in their menu. Yes, I realise that it only seems to be 5p difference on the menu items in questions but nevertheless. If they have raised their prices then the menus should reflect this.

I believe that the cafe is under new management recently - though I could be wrong but it doesn't seem to be a Beverly or Jayne managing it. But rather a young man.

blackradish2015, Owner at Black Radish, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2016

Thank you Phillip8249 for taking the time to leave a review. We value all our customers feedback and are genuinely sorry you didn't feel you had the quality of food we always strive for and were disappointed.
We, (Beverley and Jayne) are the owners of Black Radish and the young man you refer to is Frazer, our manager in our absence. Black Radish is an organic and local fruit and vegetable shop with a range of artisan products and a small cafe side in which we use all our own products to create different and innovative food combinations. Our aim is to ensure that there is always a turnover of fresh food and no food wastage.
Our hand made bread is supplied daily from the Flour Pot Bakery and we take all our produce straight off the shelves to serve to our customers. It is by nature a firmer bread but should not be hard and we will look into this with the bakery. We have of course spoken to Frazer and unfortunately our baguettes had sold out on this occasion and you were offered Ciabatta rolls as an alternative and Parma ham rather than cooked ham, which Frazer believed you had agreed to. When you returned the Parma ham you were offered a cheese alternative and a choice of bread which you accepted. We did our best to fulfil your requests and are sorry you feel we did not meet your expectations, however we will ensure in future that our customers are happy with any alternatives to the menu and apologise that you did not get what you had asked for initially. We can only apologise for the monetary difference on the menu price, this was obviously a mistake and you would of course have been re-imbursed had you raised it with our staff.
Best regards
Beverley and Jayne

Reviewed 28 April 2016 via mobile

Popped into this charming cafe / Organic greengrocers because of the enticing sandwich board outside. Inside is a wonderland of extremely creative salads, open and closed freshly made sandwiches, speciality breads, gorgeous soup and a lovely range of teas, coffees and juices. And not forgetting of course, the locally made ice cream. Today I plumped for the open Sourdough sandwich with fig, mint and Goat's cheese and am very happy indeed. However, the salad bar also took my attention so I've got a salad to go. And on my way out I'm going to have to try some of the ice cream...

blackradish2015, Owner at Black Radish, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2016

Hi BristolcreamLondon,
Thank you so much for your fantastic review. We really want to provide great food, produce and service to our customers and getting a review like this makes all our hard work worth it - it really does mean a lot. Hopefully you'll visit again soon and we can guarantee you will love the ice-cream!
Once again, many thanks for taking the time to review us
best wishes