“1st visit and very disappointed ”
Review of The Better Half

The Better Half
Ranked #37 of 336 Restaurants in Hove
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Decided to book a table for food with friends and after booking received a call from Joel to say can we make it an hour and 1/2 later which I agreed to without issue, on arrival was told the booking was never made and made to feel like I had lied, eventually they made up tables(very cramped) and rushed to order food by the female waitress, and then once a drink was accidentally spilt due to cramped conditions and no attempt to help clean up a friend approached bar staff to ask for a cloth to clean up we were told to leave!!! Very embarrassing and aggressive experience and although I wish I could write a good review I would never recommend on my personal experience and would never return!! Let’s hope co op can make a better visiting experience in years to come!!

2  Thank Oddbod27
simon s, Owner at The Better Half, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Having responded to one of your party ( Shaun I believe ) on this matter I will let Trip Advisor readers make their own minds up as to the events that happened. I stand 100% by my comments and the sequence of events m.
Should I expect every one of the 15 in your party to write a derogatory comment?
Any further blatant lies will be reported to Trip Advisor as harassment.
Simon Stern (owner)

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

I had a roast Dinner with my girlfriend this afternoon, two hours later we've gone poorly stomachs. The place itself was nice but for the price. I don't expect my girlfriend to be in such pain.

I'm fuming. Nice bank holiday ruined

3  Thank Michael C
simon s, Owner at The Better Half, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Sir,
I’m sorry that you and your girlfriend were unwell.
I have had no other complaints, only positive comments from our Easter Sunday lunch.
2 hours would NOT have been food from The Better Half !
Did you complain at the time if you felt the food “wasn’t right?”
Please feel free to contact me privately on this.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Booked a table for 10! They didnt have the booking despite calling us to confirm. Polish manageress was rude and preceded to slate us to other customers. Pompus manager was rude and abrupt. Food looked overpriced. Typical hovite snobbery.
Definately needs an attitude adjustment.

2  Thank Sean L

Having consulted the barman in question (not working on Sunday ) he clearly told the person making the booking to call back to confirm. That never happened. I didn’t know this at the time but (owner) thinking we hadn’t booked your party offered your party complementary drinks until we moved other diners to accommodate your party. Not of 10 but actually 15.
Being Easter Sunday we naturally assumed that all of your party would be eating. 3 of you including 2 children’s meals OUT OF 15.
You then set about being abusive to my manager, chairs were pushed over, pints spilt on the floor and foul mouth abuse followed.
As a result of your behaviour a party of 6 happily waiting for their table left as a result of some of your party’s behaviour.
You were then asked to leave by me.
My manager does a fantastic job. I will not tolerate the abuse you threw at her!!
We do not have a stuffy atmosphere as you say here at The Better Half but warm and inclusive.
We respect our customers and expect the same in return. This was certainly not evident with members of your party.
Do not return again!!
Simon Stern (owner of The Better Half)

Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

Nice walm after walking out in the cold and snow . Had a good variety of beers and was great atmosphere. It was really busy as Saturday night but found seats and enjoyed a few drinks

Thank you so much for your positive review
Much appreciated

Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

Don’t read the negative reviews the Sunday roast was amazing..back street, quirky pub with very friendly staff and busy..only negative was the desserts were over priced in my opinion but still tast..will be going back..

simon s, Owner at The Better Half, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2018

Thanks for your positive review James

Always appreciated