See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 February 2018

I stayed in this hotel for a convention held in Haarlem over a weekend. The location is pretty convenient, with good connections to the train in particular (10 minutes to Amsterdam Centraal). The hotel is next to a McDonalds Drive-in, which can make the road and parking lot a bit busy, but at least I didn't notice any annoying traffic from my room.

On arrival, the reception was not staffed, and nobody came even after several rings of the bell. My driver had to find the staff room and actively ask someone to come out, definitely less than ideal - Employees could be more attentive.

Rooms are quite nice. Mine was spotless on arrival, and had all the amenities I needed. Wifi is surprisingly fast, free and quite stable, I was able to do online calls and other business. Bathroom quite big for the hotel price. Shower was very good, actually had decent water pressure, something I tend to get issues with in other hotels of this price range. Room had a good supply of power outlets, also. I'm sensitive to noise but had no issues with either traffic or other guests. Room was quiet and comfortable, loudest thing was the AC fan.

Sadly the heating was kind of limp, which was noticable considering it was quite cold outside. The heating can be regulated, which is nice, but can take its sweet time to react. Fans and heating system are quite loud. The bathroom didn't appear to be heated much at all and was very cold, which was very unpleasant in the mornings and made it harder to get going. I easily get cold, to be fair, but I had to "steal" a blanket off of the second bed my room had (despite only needing a single room). Rooms come with a water boiler, which is very appreciated, but only offer black tea to go with it. That's weak, please consider offering at least one herbal or fruit option. The shower is big but the drain for it is very thin and quite small - It only works well if you don't have a very foamy shower gel or shampoo. Otherwise, the foam gets stuck very quickly on top of the drain. Not ideal at all.

I can't judge the food options, I didn't use the restaurant or the breakfast service.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel especially for business trips and an affordable stay for Amsterdam visitors who don't mind the train ride. I hope the hotel fixes some of the issues, because then this would be a fantastic value and great experience all around.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 February 2018

Ideal for the business trip that I took. The accommodation is good and the facilities in the hotel are excellent. There is a carpark outside for customers. The food in the restaurant in the hotel is very good and varied during the week, but limited at the weekend. The is a bus service nearby 250m, which has links to Haarlem and Amsterdam.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
BastionHotels, E-commerce at Bastion Hotel Haarlem Velsen, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2018

Dear Mr./Mrs.

Thank you for your message.
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

We hope to see you again in one of our Bastion Hotels!

Kind regards,
Team E-commerce

Reviewed 25 October 2017

The hotel is ideal for me, it has its own very good restaurant and a spacious car park. I would not recommend it for a stay with children though as it is really not catering for them. It is, however, ideal for the business traveler and working parties. The staff are excellent and will assist if at all possible.

Room Tip: The only issue with the room was the width of the bed, for someone bigger than me, I'm not very small, could have a problem
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
BastionHotels, e-commerce at Bastion Hotel Haarlem Velsen, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2017

Hi Nigel,
What a great review! Good to see you've enjoyed your stay this much.

Reviewed 21 October 2017

Nice reception staff. Large and clean room with view on the sports ground area. Also a nice bathroom - double basins. WiFi was good, but sometimes a bit 'unstable'. Their on site car park is fairly big and free of charge. The consequence is that too many cars block others as no "NO PARKING signs" are installed at critical spots. Took me a long time to get out!! That was the ONLY real negative thing during our stay.

Stayed: October 2017

Dear Otto,
Thank you for your review! Great to see you've enjoyed your stay!

Reviewed 2 October 2017

I ve been visiting dozens of hotels around EU but my stay in Bastion Haarlem took over 5 months.
You can expect all services will be provided on time, rooms are clean and there is plenty of electric sockets for your devices. Beds are cozy and there is room clima control with many functions at your finger wish. Food is pretty decent as for this hotel formula, try grilled Lambkoteletten or Goulash soup. But what catched me a most at this place is staff people who are very dedicated for their work, i found them very helpfull many times, they can make you start feeling like home. I'm gonna missed them for sure!

Room Tip: Working desk, flat TV screen with DVB, safelock, roomclima, wifi, hot drinks, fridge with freezer, big space for a shower, hair dryer, there are some closet/cabinets with hangers
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business

Hi Adrian,
Thank you for your friendly review! Good to see everything was as expected!