“Worst Restaurant Experience of Our Lives”

Restaurante Volcan De Timanfaya
Ranked #95 of 226 Restaurants in Playa Blanca
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 4 April 2018

Where can I start....this experience was hands down the worst restaurant experience of my life. On Sat 24th March, myself, my wife, 7 year old daughter and my two elderly parents waited for 20 mins and eventually got a table in the restaurant and made our order. When I ordered the Paella, the waiter (wearing glasses and who was noticeably gruff when taking the order) told me it was for two people so I changed it to the Fajitas. When the food came everyone got what they ordered but for me both the Paella and the Fajitas arrived. I politely informed the server that I did not order the paella and he took it back. Then, the waiter that took our order arrived down to the table and started to aggressively point his finger at me and tell me I did order it. I calmly tried to explain that I had changed to the Fajitas but he was not listening and just started shouting. He then went into the toilet and came out with an even more aggressive tone and sarcastically shouted that he hoped we enjoyed our meal. My father then told him that he had got it wrong at which point the waiter stood nose to nose with my father and shouted extremely aggressively. At this point we quickly got up to leave. Upon our exit he started to shout and swear even more and said he was going to call the Police. Another waiter tried to talk to us to tell us that he seen what happened but unfortunately could do nothing because the waiter we were dealing with was the MANAGER that night! This was unbelievable to us especially as, all the while, he is still banging his fist of the bar and shouting what I presume are profanities in Spanish. Given his rage we assumed he would follow with his threat and call the police which, although we did nothing wrong, would only make a horrific night worse. We paid in full for the food we did not even taste and left, with my daughter and elderly parents in a very distressed state. Nothing like this has ever happened to us before. I understand that orders get mixed up but the manner in which this escalated beggared belief. My daughter even ran out of the restaurant on her own in fear. It put a real dampener on our holiday so much so that my parents did not want to eat out for the rest of the week. Luckily some of our group did and found some lovely restaurants off the strip after using tripadvisor reviews. It is a pity that these type of "on the strip" restaurants live off footfall rather than tripadvisor reviews but if you do happen to read this, do not attempt to go to this restaurant. My review is only affirmed by what I read from others below.

7  Thank cullenjp
Write a ReviewReviews (1,446)

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Ate here on our first night of our holiday. The restaurant was recommended to us by the owners of the villa we were staying in.

Setting overlooking the promenade and sea was lovely. Service and food was good. There were six of us, all had a main, soft drink and 4 had a starter, and the bill came to around €80 plus tip.

Two of us had the fillet mignon which we felt was good value for money.

Nice restaurant and definitely worth a try.

Reviewed 31 March 2018

We have eaten at this restaurant a number of times in the past but the service we received last week was enough to put me off ever going there again.
We had booked a table for six people earlier that day and arrived on time at 8.15pm.
The waiter who greeted us took us to the table, but instructed us not to sit down as he had a better table for us. He came back five minutes later and then told us to sit down because he couldn't just provide us with another table, blaming us for wanting to move.
His bizarre behaviour then turned quite aggressive as he returned instructing us to move after all, which we did, making way for a party of eight which he brought in. He continued to heap blame on us for causing the confusion, whilst he took our order.
Happily that was the last we saw of him throughout the evening, but given that two of our six meals were barely warm on arrival, the whole experience was not good.

3  Thank 516cmcg
Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

We had visited Playa Blanca 3 years ago as a couple (we are in our late 30’s) we have just returned for a week with my parents aged early 70’s. Never have I experienced anything like I did in this restaurant last night! We had a drink before dinner and approached the front of the restaurant around 8:50pm. We could see around 6 tables free. A waiter from inside the restaurant waved at us and motioned table for 4? Which I said yes. We walked into the restaurant and he offered us a table to the right and one in the middle which was only set for 2 people but was a table for 4. He said great and sat us down. Then he left us to get menus and then a waiter approached me and leant in front of me and tried to intimidate me and said I had sat on his table for his 4 guests. I explained the other waiter who had then returned had told us we were ok to sit there. The waiter with the bald head and beard who brought us in apologised and said it was ok and was his fault, while the crazy waiter is leant in my face almost telling me to move. The waiter that brought us in made a stabbing motion with a knife to the crazy waiter! At this my parents feeling very distressed got up and immediately headed for the exit. I am well travelled and have never experienced anything like this ever! Please avoid at all costs, seems like a similar story if you read through the previous bad reviews. We ended up in a tapas restaurant called “Bodegon Las Tapas” great food and nothing was to much trouble, 5 stars for Bodegon and 0 for Restaurante Volcano De Timanfaya Anger management course for the young waiter with dark hair!!!

4  Thank MGilly79
Reviewed 28 March 2018

Had lunch here recently. At first, we weren’t happy with the table the waiter showed us to. It was very cramped. We asked if we could move and we were shown to the rear of the restaurant, where there was more room. We did think we’d made a poor choice as the waiters seemed busy and it was difficult to attract their attention. We did contemplate cancelling and leaving, but so glad we didn’t. We did have a slight wait for our food, during which time, the waiter came back and apologised profusely for the delay. It was very busy. Our meals came shortly after and I have to say, it was well worth the wait and we had a different waiter who was very friendly and smiling. The food was freshly cooked and tasty. I chose Chicken Cordon Bleu which was really delicious and packed with ham and cheese, with chips and roasted vegetables. Hubby had Lasagne and that was lovely and meaty, with a lovely sauce surrounding it (I had to taste!). Presentation of the meals was really nice they tasted as good as they looked. Very happy with this restaurant and would definitely return!