“A slight let down”
'BAR AND STUDY'
'FINE DINING'
'BEAUTIFUL KITCHEN'
'TWIN WITH PRIVATE BATHROOM
'DOUBLE WITH PRIVATE BATHROOM'
'Double Bedroom'
'BATHROOM WITH WALK IN SHOWER'
'GUEST BATHROOM  & BATHROOM SIX'
'LOUNGE'
Entertain
Relax
VILLA GRANDE
Pool
Cool Down
Pool Garden
'Private Heated Pool'
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

girlvicar
London, United Kingdom
“A slight let down”
Reviewed 29 September 2012 for a stay in August 2012

Well we travelled as a family of 16 back in August. We booked a year ago and were all super, super excited. The booking process was fine and I had a lot of communication with the owner. When we arrived we were delighted it looked amazing! However, on closer inspection I think the place could have been slightly cleaner, inside the wardrobes were very dusty. We were also slightly concerned at how cloudy the pool was.

Anyway we had a great family holiday - what let teh villa down was three things:

The cleaner, we were told there was a daily maid service - this did not happen she turned up twice and all she did then was give us new towels, none of our floors or toilets were cleaned which after a week with so many people was pretty disgusting. She was also very rude to some of our family members, demanding that we leave teh villa at 10am on check out day even though my contract said 11am. we called the villa manager who was very apologetic and said that she would speak with the maid. I believe she did as on check out day she didnt turn up till 11am and then sat in her car smoking away furiously shooting dagger looks at my family for daring to criticise her.

The pool - was lovely (should be heated it was cold despite being advised in August it was ok) but..... after day three we could no longer see the bottom of the pool it was so cloudy and we were worried a hygeine issue. i did raise with the villa manager who assured me that this was normal, because it was so hot, such a small pool and so many people. However, we have stayed in villas before and have family that own a similar sort of layout and have never seen this - it was off putting and we didnt go in the pool the last few days.

the third thing - the ants!!!! I have never seen anything like it, we had an infestation in our kitchen the last three days we had thousands and I mean thousands of ants crawling all over the kitchen units, it was impssible to cook or even eat in the kitchen they were everywhere. it was impossible to say where they were coming from or get rid - it really was disgusting, we hadnt left any food out so no idea why this was happening, Again when we raised with the manager we were told this is the Algarve this is what you should expect. Again nowhere else we have stayed have we seen this and I have never heard any one else describe anything near to what we experianced, there were ants coming out my bedroom ceiling light, in the baths it really was quite gross..... we ended up calling it Villa Ant not villa Grande!

The final thing doesnt have to do with the villa it has to do with the process in getting my deposit back which was so long winded. A week after we returned I emailed the owner asking how I would get the deposit back whom advised he would do a Bank transfer, five weeks later I was still waiting, I left five messages and sent six emails - I even threatened legal action all of which were ignored. My husband then intervened and I am assuming because the owner didnt recognise the number he picked up the phone. he then said he had to deduct £150 for the pool heating (erm what heating!) and wasnt at all apologetic and said these things take time. This made me furious six weeks to get a deposit back is very long and completely spolit all the good will I had for the owner.

Would I go back - no, no, no it has the makings of a lovely villa, but the owner needs to get more orgainsed, the cleaner needs to clean and they need to sort out the infestation of ants!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The area
Liked least: the ants and rude cleaner
Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Recommended for:
Families with young children Large groups
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Management Response
4 Oct 2012
The only issue raised with me as the Villa Owner was the issue regarding the Maid Service. All the other issues were only drawn to my attention by this 'review'. To evidence this I follow with a copy of the e-mail I recieved from the client on August 28th that reads as follows: 'Thanks Alfred, much appreciated, as I said before we loved the villa and that (the maid issue) was our only "blip"
molly111
cheshire
“I wish I owned this Villa”
Reviewed 11 July 2012 for a stay in June 2012
person found this review helpful

We hired this villa for 9 of us (it actually could sleep 12+ as there was a study which had a double bed settee we didn't use and one of the lads had a double to himself. We got a minibus from Faro which cost 189 euro return and hired a car to be dropped off the next day just for supermarket runs.
When we arrived (1pm) the villa was still being cleaned to we had to go for a walk into Porches. There was one cafe-bar open (perhaps because it was Sunday) but I could only presume there wasn't much going on there. When we got back to the villa at 3 is was till not ready so we just sat outside.
The villa is lovely (it is in a quiet area up a lane),and had everything you would need - kitchen very well equipped although dishwasher was not working very well. Also the fridge freezer was not working but there was a small version of both and the engineer came out mid week. Lovely dining area on patio which seats 12+ and large lounge, dining room and public areas. We hardly used the games room as we were always outside (last year the pool table was near the kitchen/outside so you never felt cut off from the rest of the party) ! I had the master bedroom which had a very very large jacuzzi bathroom and roof terrace. I think maybe the cleaners or previous tenants left all the windows open as my husband was bitten over 100 (yes 100 - someone counted them!) on the first night so take your mossie sprays!!!!!! Outside pool area was large with lots of grass areas and plentiful sunbeds. The pool was quite full of leaves and flies when we arrived and we were told it would not be cleaned until Tuesday - I think this should be changed to be done for new arrivals (although I understand the issue due to the overhanging trees etc). Bath towels were provided in the room and for sunbeds and were changed in the week. A member of our party did complain about the attitude of the cleaner as they found her rude so we asked for the towels just to be left and we didn't want any cleaning. Wifi available in the villa and freeview on TV.. Just down the road is a German bar (very funny watching germany get beat in euro's in a german bar!) - about 10 minutes drive to nearest beaches - we usually went to the beach is Carveirio and went there at night (about 15 minutes by car and 15 euros for taxi at night one way). Supermarket about 10 minutes drive away and they stock most things required (apart from smirnoff ice and cider) which we had to find an off licence for.
We ate at Rascals on the first night to watch England (because of that there was a limited menu and the steak wasn't great) but the view and sitting outside on the terrace was brilliant. We had another steak in the steakhouse in the main street which was very nice. Lovely bars with seating outside up the two main streets.
Overall villa life is a great holiday - we did it last year too. You can just eat when you want, drink when you want (just walk to the fridge), sleep/sunbathe/etc whenever you want. I recommend it very highly. We have been home for 9 days and no email about the deposit returned yet but I will update when I do.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Travelling group: Large Group
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing