“Outstanding. Michelin star quality ”
Review of Backmulde

Backmulde
Ranked #1 of 34 Restaurants in Ladenburg
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

Once of the best Restaurants I’ve found anywhere and certainly the best on my German Trip. Fresh salad with Pfifferlingen. Spargel mit rohem Schinken. It was the last days of the Asparagus season. Sorbets. If you have a chance to eat there don’t miss it!

Service was outstanding.

Reviewed 1 June 2017

On the face of it, ``refined German cuisine'', might seem a contradiction; but in this case I think the description is apt. The menu on arrival bore no resemblance to the one online, but we were cheerfully guided through a translation of the new menu. The waiter/owner also owned the wine shop over the road and gave expert advice on wines since again the online wein karte is all wrong. On his advise we chose and excellent Alsatian gerwürtztraminer and a pinot.
The former was absolutely superb, and I had some mixed feelings about the latter, which was a wee bit young.
We were all given an amuse bouche to start which was quite delightful, some bread and dip. The entree's were excellent, with the mushroom salad skillfully done and day special of prawn ceviche quite delicate, and delicious. All of the mains were of very high quality. My wife loved her rabbit, my friends had a beautiful looking veal and spargel combination with a refined white sauce (quite different than the usual ones) and a classical lamb/lentil combination,
and I had a really interesting pork dish from Spanish pork which had been fed on acorns (I think he said and what the menu seemed to say with my appalling German) and tasted like beef accordingly. Likewise all the deserts were elegant and delicious, and my cheese platter was excellent especially when combined with a suggested glass of auslese riesling. My friends thought this was the best food they have had on the Europe travels for the last month.
The price is not cheap but not at Michelin prices. The ingredients are all sourced from individual farms, and much of it local. The setting (Ladenburg) is very nice, with a short walk around the old town a must before you dine. You can book a table outside on the street if you desire. We went on a Wednesday night on the 1st of June, and it was rather busy, so booking would be highly advised. I was impressed and will go again.

1  Thank Rodney D
Reviewed 23 May 2017

This restaurant is located in the old part of a wonderful town, with houses that were built 500 – 600 year ago.
The place itself had a very friendly staff that kept refilling our drinks.
Along with good food I had a great evening

Reviewed 10 May 2017

The restaurant is situated in the centre of Ladenburg an old Roman Town of 2000 years.
It is definitely not your run of the mill German restaurant. Although I didn't much care for the starter, the main course (Pork Iberica) was the best pork I have ever eaten. They have a good beer selection and an expertly chosen wine list. What else do you want?

Reviewed 14 November 2016

Had dinner here while spending a long weekend with friends in Heidelberg and found that everything was excellent: the food (both the taste and its presentation), the wine, the acoustics, the village of Ladenburg itself. It's a restaurant that I would definitely recommend.