“No good entrataining”
Review of Barcelo Montelimar

Barcelo Montelimar
Reviewed 5 August 2011

We stayed in this resort for the first time on summer of 2009 and definitelly the quality of entretaiment has changed for worse. Very poor shows!! we saw the Western night and I felt so sorry for two girls dancers who danced the whole show without any break. Aparently they are very short on artists.

They had little modifications on the only custome they had. They were wearing pants undernith the skirts so noticeable and inatractive for the orience, they did it to be able to save time to the next dance. They danced a total of 10 songs with only a skirt, a pair of pants and one top...the guys (the same 2 or 3) had an only variation on their outfit, to unbotton their cowboys pink shirts...come on management!!...we paid a good money to have the right to enjoy good shows, is this Barcelo so limited in funds for the shows just because is in Central America? I have been at the one in Dominican Rep. and some another countries, and it has a totally different class of shows...I definitelly won't go back there.

Another thing that I would like to comment about is the fact that people go to the dance club, like their going to the beach...not like years before where they were wearing nice and appropiate for the night life.

Hamacks on the porches of the cabings were filty.

For the rest...the food, service, and general cleaness was good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the pool and the restaurant...those rooms has the best location.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Nmurillo, General Manager at Barcelo Montelimar, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2011

Dear client,

We appreciated your comments and suggestion. We are going to work in the aspects that you expose in your comment to improve the service and the entertainment to the guest for their enjoying, hopefully you check in next occasion

Barceló Montelimar Beach

Write a ReviewReviews (1,866)

Reviewed 28 July 2011

We are Americans who live in Nicaragua and visited Montelimar for a weekend. It was fine. We will not go back there are so many better places to visit in Nicaragua. The beach is pretty nice and the pools have a nice layout. The restaurant food is fine but there are limited hours you can eat which was a real pain since we were working around a baby's sleep schedule. The rooms are like Motel 6. There are no shower curtains which makes for a messy bathroom.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank aeflemin
Reviewed 13 July 2011

The hotel/resort is on a pretty beach and is the only all-Inclusive in Nicaragua that I am aware of. I saw almost no American's or Europeans and very few of the staff speak English, something to be aware of if you don't speak Spanish well. The food is mediocre at best and the drinks while free flowing were certainly not top-shelf. The hotel is worn and quite dated. We had a bungalow which was nice but someone mentioned that the hotel rooms had been updated. I didn't check them out so can't really comment but if that is important to you I would go with that. Personally I liked how the bungalows were laid out. The best part of the place was probably the very large very pretty pool.

I had to wrap up some business in Nicaragua and my husband who had never been there wanted to go. He parked himself at the hotel and had a nice time for 3 days while I was off taking care of other stuff. Personally, I would have been quite bored there for more than a day, there is really nothing to do in the area and the hotel is just barely a 2 star in quality and service in my opinion but charging pretty high prices for Nicaragua.

If you are wanting an all-inclusive and have your choice of locations, Nicaragua would be at the bottom of my list. If you are already in Nicaragua and wanting a beach holiday and want to pay a daily rate and not worry about cost otherwise, and are content with just so-so food and service then this might be a good place.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tammynnc
Nmurillo, General Manager at Barcelo Montelimar, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2011

Dear Client,

We received your email. First of all, we want to thank for your valuable information that helps us to improve our deficiencies.

We really apologize for everything that happened during your stay here with us. We think we provide to our guest the best food in relation to the cost and benefit, and with the high standards of hygienic. We can say that we have many activities that permit our clients have a good time.

We really thank you about your comments, be sure we are going to works in the aspect to and improve.

We are very pleased to have you here and hope that you will return to visit us again in the future.

Sincerely yours,

Barceló Montelimar Beach

Reviewed 9 July 2011

Montelimar is an all-inclusive beach resort that is well known to Nicaraguans. And it probably is one of the nicer places for Nicaraguans to vacation. But, it is not to American standards and there are places that are more American-friendly.

First, I never met a single employee who spoke English. Yes, I know I was in Nicaragua. But, it's unusual to be at a resort and not even the front desk people speak English. Occasionally some other American would come up to me asking for some help.

The room is comparable to a decent Best Western. But, the hotel only gives you one room key. I was with a group that had several rooms and some rooms had 3 people in them. Still, there's only one key. Also, the rooms come with two towels. You won't get any more than that. My room had a leaky AC and some mold. Again, it's just not to American resort standards.

At check-in, they give you a towel card for borrowing a towel at the beach. The card is clearly marked $20 and they tell you that losing the card or not returning a towel will cost you $20. Believe me, these towels are nothing special. They're the towels you can get for $6 at a department store in America.

The resort is all-inclusive in that food buffets are included, as are boogie board borrowing and some other things, including alcohol. But, there's no in-room internet access. You can pay $5/hour for the internet cafe, or $10/day to have wifi in the lobby only. They also have ATV rentals and horse rides that cost extra.

The buffets are only open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. None of the constant eating you might see on a cruise ship. And the food is not very good. I saw the same things served multiple meals in a row, and I highly doubt the resort is throwing lots of food away. I'd bet they're using the leftovers from lunch at their dinner. And even though the buffets are only open certain hours, there's no promise they will open on time. This is Latin America, so it could open 30 minutes late.

There is a strong AC in the rooms, with only 3 temperature settings. The only other place with AC was the internet cafe. The buffets are all outdoors.

The beach was nice and not crowded at all. Waves were about 3' high or so. And there was a very large pool. Most resort pools are crowded during the day, but this pool was so large is was never crowded.

If it wasn't for the large pool and beachfront location, this would be a 2-star hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank UCF_EdD_2006
Nmurillo, General Manager at Barcelo Montelimar, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2011

Dear Guest,

We thanks your comments, we work to improve the service and to be inside the standars. We apologize to not fill your expectations.

Sincerely yours,

Hotel Barceló Montelimar Beach

Reviewed 23 June 2011

I would reccomend that noone plan or even book an event/wedding/conference at Montelimar Beach as their event coordinating department is horrible. Unorganized, not worth the money and unreliable.
My husband and I planned a last-minute wedding (by last minute I mean 2 weeks in advance) for the end of May at the resort along the beach (since he is from Nicaragua) We had stayed here previously and had an okay time so we wanted to have our ceremony here on the beach. We met with the wedding coordinator and she described our options to us and verified our date. Days later we recieved an email saying that the date we chose is not possible because the resort is too booked for Mothers Day and that we must choose another date or pay extra money. Not only that she told us that everyone in attendance must pay day-passentry (even if they dont use the facilities!) A detail she never stated previously. We had to scramble around to change flower dates, cake dates and inform our attendants.
Days later I emailed to get measurements for an arch they would provide. I was rudely told that there was no arch onsite and that she "clearly knows what they contain in their packages." Even though she explained that they provide everything--all we needed to provide was the flowers for the arch. I had to scramble around Managua and try to find a rentable arch 3 days before the wedding!FYI Montelimar Beach has NO ARCH!
The day of the wedding we paid for them ONLY to set up a table and chairs (no chair sashes as I was providing the color I wanted.) They set up these up only 20 minutes before our scheduled start time. We were still tying sashes on chairs 10 minutes before the ceremony because of there late set up. Meanwhile a manager and a gardener were watching us and the wedding coordinator was sitting at the bar drinking with her friend. Unimpressed!
To top that off they were supposed to deliver a bottle of champagne to our room that night...we didnt get anything--we had to ask for it upon our check-out.
Another thing tell them that you want your room close to the ceremony location otherwise they put you (like they did us) at the other end and you are WALKING 20 minutes just to get to the site with no trolley or cars.
And the wedding coordinators speak FLUENT english--dont let them fool you to think they only speak spanish, like ours did.
Anyways my recommendation if you have to plan an event here--DO IT YOURSELF! Or do it somewhere else! Save yourself the headaches of unprofessional service!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
0 km away
Tortuga Verde
Tortuga Verde
#1 of 2 in Diriamba

Been to Barcelo Montelimar? Share your experiences!