“The ship sailed me away!”
Review of The Ship Caton

The Ship Caton
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Caton
Price range: USD 8 - USD 38
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Ship Country Pub located in Caton Near Lancaster. We offer the most amazing home cooked bar menu and an out standing restaurant menu in The Galleon. Our Bar menu is served from 12-3 and 5-8:30pm Monday to Thursday. 12:0 - 8:30pm Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The Galleon Restaurant menu is available Monday - Sunday 5-8:30pm
Reviewed 4 January 2018

Been here a few times as I only live down the road and the place has never seemed to have failed me. Every time I go the service is impeccable, the waitresses are very polite. The food is absolutely brilliant, you can tell by my profile I am quite critical and have high expectations of places, but the Ship never fails to deliver.

I highly recommend the fish and chips and I have to admit, I have never had a better fish and chips than here in my life and thats the honest truth.

Will continue to keep coming here!

1  Thank Purdz94
TheShipCaton, General Manager at The Ship Caton, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2018

Thank you for taking time to write your review and I am extremely pleased that you found everything to your liking after your latest visit. I look forward to welcoming you back to The Ship in the future.

Reviewed 1 January 2018

We visited at lunchtime with two friends who live locally. We expected the pub to be busy on Sunday with lunches especially on New Years Eve. We were surprised to find the Pub very quiet with only a few customers. We only wanted drinks and sandwiches, and ordered the drinks at the bar. The helpful barmaid said she would bring the drinks to our table, which arrived after a few minutes. We then asked for the menu which was brought to us. We only wanted sandwiches and gave the order to the barmaid. After a while we heard a loud voice (who was apparently the Manager) loudly telling the staff they should not have taken an order for sandwiches as these were not available that day. No apology was made, and our order was cancelled. The manager should have made this known to his staff when the pub opened and I would have thought a notice could have been displayed. His attitude was unnecessary, and shortly after he was telling a new customer that he would not accept a £50 note, again in a loud voice. I understand the £50 note business, but there are ways of explaining quietly instead shouting his comments to the whole pub.

3  Thank John26lowton

Thank you for your review after your recent visit and I am sorry that your experience was something less than we would expect. The staff are aware that sandwiches are not available on Sunday's, the staff member who served had just forgotten. When this was pointed out to her she was asked to go to your table and apologise and ask if you would like something else. Obviously she did not do this and I am sorry that she failed to apologise to you directly. Sundays are a particularly busy day for us and on that particular Sunday lunch we managed about 65 covers.
Again many thanks for taking time to write your review.

Reviewed 20 December 2017 via mobile

Family evening out, i had a very nice starter consisting of Black pudding, Chorizo and a poached egg . It was presented very well, although the Chorizo was a little chewy all in all it was very tasty.
This was followed by Fish Chips and mushy peas. Presentation was again very good, with the chips served in a basket and the peas in a small pan. Very cute !!!
A seal of approval from me
10/10

1  Thank Twoshoes44
TheShipCaton, General Manager at The Ship Caton, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2017

Thank you for taking time to write your review after your recent visit. Your comments regarding the chorizo are noted and I apologise for this although I am pleased that you enjoyed your fish & chips, which is a very popular dish at The Ship

Reviewed 17 December 2017

Booked for 7 people asked if we could eat at 8.
They asked if we could eat at 7.30 because there was a large party in at 8
Must of cancelled
Garlic mushrooms not sure if there was garlic
Fish pie should have been called potato pie
The prawn and Salmon cocktail was wonderfull
The belly pork was nice but could of done with a sharp knife
Asked if we could have a look at the Christmas menu sorry we would have to pretty order for that but brought us it but said they might not have everything on it
So asked what they hadn't got the reply to that was the chef would need to look in the fridge
Staff very plesent service lacking had to ask for cranberry sauce for the turkey if they were really busy I could have understood but it was quiet
Have eaten here quiet a few times and enjoyed might be a while before I return

3  Thank Simon N

Thank you for your review after your recent visit and I am sorry that there were a few issues during your meal. We obviously let you down on this occasion however had these issues been brought to my attention at the time I may well have been able to rectify the situation prior to your departure.

Reviewed 8 December 2017

Me and Benita just had a pamper (nails and hair!!) and after a chilly walk we fancied a spot of lunch and a bottle of fizz and bumped into this charming little pub. Benita did notice a very fusty smell as we walked in which put her off a little but a solid explanation was forthcoming from the bar staff who were delightful and attentive. We both went for the 2 course lunch menu at £8.99. we both had prawn cocktail to start, i had the fish and chips and she had beef stroganoff. Very good portions for what we paid and the fish and chips were sensational.The only faults (and we are nit picking) was that the tomato sauce was not heinz and the salt and pepper was not brought out until the main meal. These are slight faults which don't detract from what was a very pleasant lunch (oh and than the drunk customer who thought he was a magician, so glad he didn't pester us and ruin our lunch with tricks he couldn't do, but each to their own).

1  Thank adam w

Thank you for taking time to write your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your lunch time meal with us. Our lunch light bites menu offers excellent value at £8.99 for two courses and is proving extremely popular with everyone.