Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in great prices from these sites
eDreamsUSD 325
PricelineUSD 325
Agoda.comUSD 324
TripadvisorUSD 324
Hotels.com
All reviews cellar bar the main hotel laura ashley tennis courts devon view restaurant tea room high bullen round of golf manor house loft suite play golf swimming pool rolling hills spa facilities surrounding countryside lovely hotel changing rooms
Selected filters
Reviewed 13 September 2015

Beautiful hotel,lovely room with chocolates,flowers and champers as part of our Travelzoo deal. We ate in the Cellars and main restaurant ,both lovely and all meals superb.Would definetly stay again.A very special place in the beautiful Devonshire countryside.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
James H, General Manager at Highbullen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2015

Dear Nigel,

Thank you for your email.

I appreciate your feedback and am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us so much.

I hope we are able to welcome you back to Highbullen in the near future and trust you enjoyed the rest of your break in Cornwall.

Kindest regards and best wishes,

Reviewed 12 September 2015

We stayed here for two nights and were very impresses with this hotel. The room we had (in gardeners row) was furnished to a high standard. The hotel grounds and facilities were excellent. We ate in the Cellars restaurant and the food was great. The only gripe I have is the slow service in the Cellars, but overall can thoroughly recommend it.

Date of stay: September 2015

Thank you for your review.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us - I will be sure to pass on your feedback to the team.

I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Best wishes and kindest regards,

Reviewed 10 September 2015

We stayed at the Highbullen for two nights last month. We took our dog with us and were allocated a room in The Forresters Rest, which is situated a short distance from the main hotel and is screened by trees etc, is this why it's not maintained to the same standard as the rest of the hotel and grounds?.The car park area and approach to the room was very shabby as was the terrace to our room. We definitely felt we were paying the price for taking our pet with us.
The staff were very helpfull and the food was excellent especially the cream tea which was amazing. We would stay again but maybe without the dog!

Room tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

I am sorry to felt the approach to the rooms at Forrester's Rest was neglected, but glad you enjoyed your stay overall. With 125 acres it is sometimes difficult, especially heading in to Autumn, to keep on top of all areas of the estate. Please rest assured that our gardener and maintenance team has spent some time down there over the last few weeks.

The dog friendly rooms are more spacious than almost all of our other rooms and, in my opinion, have the best views. There are also the most quiet rooms.

I hope we do welcome you back to the hotel in the near future and I am grateful for your feedback.

Reviewed 6 September 2015

We stayed in the Highbullen on the 3 Sept 15 for one night. The location and the room were gorgeous. What this hotel lacked for us was the finishing touches to the service. We booked the hotel back in February this year but worked commitments meant that we had to cancel, work commitments then changed again and we rebooked the same room as before (Lawrence Olivia) We wanted this room as we felt it was the best one and it was the night before our wedding at Millbrook Estate. However two days before check in, our room got changed, not usually a big deal but this was the room that we had our hearts set on before our wedding and it was to late to book anything else.

We decide to eat in the Cellars bar that evening after I placed an order but changed my mind straight after, but apparently it was to late and the chef had already cooked it. This was pretty impressive as it was only 2 minutes since placed the order and the restaurant was busy. I ordered the dish that I wanted and I paid for the one that I wanted to change, so in all I paid for two meals and only eat one, the one that I didn't eat I didn't see or was I offered to take away with me. Apparently this decision was made by the head chef. The food on the whole was satisfactory.

The next morning we were woken up at 0700 by the night porter hammering croquet hoops in to the lawn with was right outside our window. This went on for a good 30 minutes.

I raised my concerns with a member of staff who informed me nothing could be done about the service that we received.

There are lots of other tiny little points that stop this hotel from being a good hotel namely the attention to detail.

In summary the hotel and grounds are stunning but sadly the attention to detail and the customer service did not match.

Room tip: Don't expect a 5star service.
Date of stay: September 2015
2  Thank Andrew D

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for your review.

I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback, and it will prove incredibly beneficial to improving our service.

We do reserve the right to change rooms for guests, as long as we do not downgrade, the room you booked and the room you stayed in were both feature rooms. The room you were moved to has a hand-made four-poster, as oppose to two antique single beds made as a double, is brighter and more spacious. Unfortunately the your request for that particular room did not show up on your booking.

I am also aware that we waived a late check out charge, extending your stay to allow you to get ready for your wedding.

I am very sorry to learn that the night porter took 30 minutes to put out the croquet set. As it only consists of a post and 6 hoops I will speak to him about this, along with choosing a more appropriate time to prepare the croquet lawn.

I am also sorry to read your comments regarding the food you ordered and changed your mind to. Again, I will discuss your comments with our Head Chef. I am at a loss as to why your dish just wasn't changed - this happens regularly and is always accommodated.

Despite your rating, I hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 2 September 2015

We stayed at Highbullen for our son's wedding reception which was held in the grounds, restaurant and atrium area for the evening do. It is a beautiful setting, excellent food and very attentive staff. The staff deserve a special mention as they were quiet and unobtrusive, but kept everything under control. Our room was in the main building, spacious and very comfortable. Other guests were in various parts of the hotel, everyone had good rooms. I would love to return. A lovely place to stay, ideal for a special celebration or gathering.

• Trip type: Travelled with family

Thank you for your review.

It was a pleasure to have you with us and be able to arrange your son and daughter-in-law's special day. I am thrilled that all feedback was positive.

I hope we do get to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future and perhaps celebrate a 1 year anniversary with them!