All reviews shared bathroom ten minute walk location is great log fire lake edge hot springs mount john great kitchen views cabin toilets data mountains heating church
Reviewed 25 January 2015 via mobile

This place has the worst customer service I have experienced on my travels so far. None of the staff seem to care about your problems or want to help you, they push you out the premises as soon as you check out (something I have never experienced before). Bedrooms are tiny, bathrooms dirty and water everywhere, pans in the kitchen are terrible for cooking with, they don't make your beds and expect u to undress the bed when you leave, wifi is super expensive and bad connection even at hotspots.
Don't bother staying here - there are plenty of other places in tekapo.
Will not recommend or stay again.

Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple
Andrea C, General Manager at LakeFront Backpackers Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2015

Hi there in London
What is it with people and the check out times?
It is standard around NZ that check out is 10am. This isn't about us kicking you out, it is about us requesting that those leaving depart at a reasonable time so we can clean and prepare our facilities for the next group of guests who are checking in.
In our backpackers we actually allow guest to check in from midday, we just ask that they work around the cleaners. So I think that is pretty generous considering most check-ins are 2pm. That gives us 2 hrs to prep the rooms.
Also standard in backpackers is that you either strip your beds or at a minimum take the pillow cases off, also with the bigger backpackers they too will leave you a clean top sheet and duvet on the end of the bed so all you have to do is pull them up. I don't think that is to much of a hardship.
We do provide private rooms and these come with beds made etc but are obviously a little more expensive so the option is there for upgrades and the finer touches.

Reviewed 20 January 2015

I came to Tekapo with my friend and stayed in the backpackers lodge in a twin room. The setting is great, right on the lake front and 10 mins walk to the hot pools and walks.

Staff were lovely to deal with. The lady who checked us in was upbeat and happy to be at work, which is always a plus.

Our room was small, but well appointed. The only problem I had with the room was that it was sandwiched in-between two loud doors that shut quite heavily late into the night and early in the morning. One of the doors was the main one into the building and the other was a separate door leading into the dorm area. If you look at the lodge layout on their website it is the twin room number one - book/request a different room unless you want SLAM, SLAM, SLAM.

Another tip - if you don't want a crowded place and want to cook a meal in the kitchen without hassle then perhaps enquire as to whether the Kiwi Bus tour is staying at the same time. The kitchen was so busy at dinner time, no space to really cook properly so we ended up partly preparing some food on the wee table in our room and then carried it through to the kitchen - not ideal. Without the bus tour there would have been plenty of space.

Bathrooms (ladies) were looking a bit sorry for themselves, but nice hot showers. Cleanliness could have been better though.

Stayed: January 2015, travelled with friends

Hi fellow New Zealander
I'm glad you found our reception staff friendly, Oh I hope that was me who checked you in lol.
We had someone else mention that the outside door was closing really loudly hence making Room 1 shake and very noisy. My husband has adjusted the closer and it is now closing more slowly and without the bang so touch wood we have it sorted.
We are aware the bathroom is in need of a paint and we scheduling that in for when it is a little more quiet so with a bit of a spruce up we will be back on track.

Thanks for your positive feedback, might see you back this way again some time

Reviewed 10 January 2015

I had to say that by reading the reviews I was a bit concerned about our night stay at the hostels, but it turbed to be very nuce stay for our first night in New Zealand.
The location is very good just in front of Lake Tekapo with an easy walk to the "town". If you come by car you may find a bit of competition in parking in the front courtyard. I guess this depends on the seasons and type of customers of the hostel at that time. We went at the end of the year and the hostel had a few families booked in. We saved in night noise but the courtyard got very crowded.
The place was clean and the kitchen spacious so there were no problems in the morning in sharing the kitchen.

And yes the room door is loud and make noise at night but nothing more than in others Hostels I have stayed before. The room size is ok for the type of accommodation. In 4 people we had 2 big luggages and 4 backpacks and we managed to find space and organise ourselves.

Nice place and value for the money.

• Stayed: December 2014
Andrea C, General Manager at LakeFront Backpackers Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2015

Hi Christian V
Putu and team have spent a lot of time cleaning and maintaining the lodge and ensuring it is kept up to scratch and better for that matter. After you having read some of the earlier reviews I'm glad you still gave us a chance to show you how great the lodge really is.
Thank you for you fair and honest comments as we really appreciate feedback of all types.
So in all, your first night in NZ was just what you wanted and we are happy to have been part of it.
If you are still travelling I hope the rest of NZ is as good as Lake Tekapo.

Reviewed 22 December 2014 via mobile

We only spent a night here but it was an easy, no fuss checkin and a comfortable and clean accommodation just besides Lake Tekapo, an ideal and highly affordable accommodation with heated water. Employees are friendly and service is good. Location is fairly central to food and restaurant choices.

Stayed: December 2014

Thank you for your review.
Sounds like it was all good from the moment you check in until the end of your stay. I'm glad you had a great stay and found the lodge reached all your expectations.

Reviewed 2 December 2014 via mobile

Me and my mam stayed here for the night as we wanted to see the stars from the lake once it got dark. The lodge itself is lovely and has stunning views of the lake but the rooms are quite quaint. The heater is good and what's up the room quickly but the doors to all the rooms are very heavy and closing them is very noisy. The common area didn't clear out till after midnight and our room was right next to the main entrance and common area meaning everyone passed our room. There was a kiwi experience coach there and everyone was very noisy running up and down the corridors and shouting and slamming doors. We didn't get to sleep till around 1am and were rudely awoken again around 5.30am by people talking in the corridors and outside and more slamming doors. Would not stay here again

Stayed: December 2014

Hi fellow Kiwi
I'm sorry you found our lodge noisy. Unfortunately some can be a little inconsiderate of others or just in the wrong time zone when it comes to sleeping but we do have an 24/7 phone that we can be contacted on so if things get bad we can certainly fix it pretty quickly.
Yes we have the Kiwi Experience bus come through but they don't make up all of our guest stay nights in fact only half per night so its a tough call to pin the noise on them. Usually by the time they get to us they are tired and buggered from being in Queenstown and just want to chill out and sleep.

Other than the noise of which again I am sorry you seem to enjoy the location and I hope the weather was good enough for you to see the stars.