All reviews shared bathroom ten minute walk location is great log fire lake edge hot springs mount john great kitchen views cabin toilets data mountains heating church
Reviewed 9 October 2014 via mobile

my husband and myself stayed in the double cabin. it was tiny! hardly knew where to put our bags... it was raining and cold and we had to walk to the main building to use the bathrooms (only 5-10 meters but still uncomfortable). the real problem however was that this cost 85 nz$ - very poor value for money.

on the plus side, there was a heater in the room which was nice after the outdoor trip to the bathroom.

we stayed with the kiwi experience but i would not recommend this hostel for more than 1 night if you stay in a double.

Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
Andrea C, General Manager at LakeFront Backpackers Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2015

Hi
Our doubles are spacious enough for a couple and bags and its due to demand we have put these transportable cabins behind the backpackers as we just don't have the space inside the lodge to accommodate more private accommodation.
However they do give you the privacy and quietness that you don't get from being inside with everyone else and the idea of these is for sleeping only with all your living and hanging out done in the lodge itself which is plenty big enough.

So sorry you felt they were a bit small but at least you would have got a good might sleep.
Thanks for your comments

Reviewed 18 September 2014

We were in Tekapo in June 2011 and the 4 of us were in a 4-bed dorm. It was small but for the price, we couldn't complain. The grounds were clean and they had two gorgeous cats back then that were allowed into near the fireplace for some warmth. The location is fantastic, situated right next to the lake. It was really peaceful and tranquil when we were there. Shared bathrooms were clean and the heat in the room was so good, our trip-mate said it was too warm!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Andrea C, General Manager at LakeFront Backpackers Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2014

Hi
Thanks heaps for taking the time to review us, even after its been a while that you were here.
Its great to get positive feedback and to know when someone has had a great time.

Thanks heaps and we might see you back this way again sometime

Reviewed 26 July 2014

If you can afford to spend a little more and get a private room - I recommend doing so! In comparison with the dorms they are palatial! The 4-bed dorm we were in was TINY with two bunk beds and a narrow walkway between them. They have prime position on the lake front so have clearly decided not to bother making any effort with the dorm rooms- no hooks, shelves or anywhere to store luggage. Bathrooms in need of a clean and repaint, kitchen ok. I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Avoid dorm rooms unless you like the claustrophobic feeling.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Andrea C, General Manager at LakeFront Backpackers Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Hi there
Thank you for taking the time to review our backpackers lodge.
You commented on the dorm rooms and yes they are small but I guess they are for sleeping only and the other communal areas are large with like you said a prime location opposite the lake.
I have just mentioned to my husband about hooks and shelves. Hooks we can do quickly and there certainly room to put some high shelves up and this would help with some of the storage issues. I'm not sure why we hadn't thought of that. Leave that with me :-) You mentioned about the bathrooms, they are clean and they are scheduled for repainting in the Spring.

Thanks heaps for pointing out those couple of things, it is much appreciated.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I wouldn't rave about this hostel, but I liked it for the sole reason that it had heaters in each room. Considering how cold the common areas and outdoors were (freezing), this was the best point of the hostel. The beds were also very comfy, however, the rooms were so small that if they were full (four people) you could barely all stand at the same time.

I also liked the sliding doors to the yard in each room and how the common area was more like a sunroom. It was quite large too.

The worst things about the hostel were the distance- about ten minutes walk into town- and the temperature in the common areas. I think this would be a nice hostel in the summertime but I was just so cold! Still not a bad place to stay, very pretty area.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Hi Maria from Ohio
You reviewed Lakefront Lodge for us after you stay and we thank you for your comments.
Yes the rooms are small but I figure they are for sleeping only and like you said the common areas are big with plenty of room to cater for all..
Yes the bedrooms have heaters but we also have heat pumps in the bathrooms and heaters in the TV and internet areas as well as a huge wood burner so I am surprised you found it cold but maybe the fire went out. Sometimes people just look at it and don't think to put a log on :-(
So I'm sorry you found it cold and July has been a pretty cold month.

But hank you again,

Reviewed 11 July 2014

After having read a few negative experiences about this place i was really surprised when i turned up.

LOCATION- Incredible lake and mountain view's from the large lounge/kitchen area with a log fire and loads of leather chair's, board games and TV/stereo. Some people complained about the distance from the town and it is a good 10min walk, but the views are insane.

CLEANLINESS- Everything from the kitchen to the bedrooms and communal area was spotless and the staff who are real friendly were always cleaning things.

SHOWERS- Plenty big enough with a heated bathroom, powerful and clean.

NOISE- the building is built out of wood so yea. you do hear footsteps pretty well and door's closing but it's no worse than any other hostel i have been in.

Staff- Friendly check in lady and really nice Indonesian guy cleaning the rooms, no complaints.

I think all the negative review's are from people who have stayed here while tour buses come in and i guess it can get pretty busy.
From my experience though it is a great place in a great setting.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank DaveDP-gsy
Andrea C, General Manager at LakeFront Backpackers Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Hi there.
I have just got back from two weeks in sunny Samoa and it was great to read your fantastic review on my return.
Thank you so much for your positive comments and taking the time to review us. It is great to know we ARE doing it right.

Thank you again and we hope when you pass this way you will pop back in and stay with us.