All reviews shared bathroom ten minute walk location is great log fire lake edge hot springs mount john great kitchen views cabin toilets data mountains heating church
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I wouldn't rave about this hostel, but I liked it for the sole reason that it had heaters in each room. Considering how cold the common areas and outdoors were (freezing), this was the best point of the hostel. The beds were also very comfy, however, the rooms were so small that if they were full (four people) you could barely all stand at the same time.

I also liked the sliding doors to the yard in each room and how the common area was more like a sunroom. It was quite large too.

The worst things about the hostel were the distance- about ten minutes walk into town- and the temperature in the common areas. I think this would be a nice hostel in the summertime but I was just so cold! Still not a bad place to stay, very pretty area.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Andrea C, General Manager at LakeFront Backpackers Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Hi Maria from Ohio
You reviewed Lakefront Lodge for us after you stay and we thank you for your comments.
Yes the rooms are small but I figure they are for sleeping only and like you said the common areas are big with plenty of room to cater for all..
Yes the bedrooms have heaters but we also have heat pumps in the bathrooms and heaters in the TV and internet areas as well as a huge wood burner so I am surprised you found it cold but maybe the fire went out. Sometimes people just look at it and don't think to put a log on :-(
So I'm sorry you found it cold and July has been a pretty cold month.

But hank you again,

Reviewed 11 July 2014

After having read a few negative experiences about this place i was really surprised when i turned up.

LOCATION- Incredible lake and mountain view's from the large lounge/kitchen area with a log fire and loads of leather chair's, board games and TV/stereo. Some people complained about the distance from the town and it is a good 10min walk, but the views are insane.

CLEANLINESS- Everything from the kitchen to the bedrooms and communal area was spotless and the staff who are real friendly were always cleaning things.

SHOWERS- Plenty big enough with a heated bathroom, powerful and clean.

NOISE- the building is built out of wood so yea. you do hear footsteps pretty well and door's closing but it's no worse than any other hostel i have been in.

Staff- Friendly check in lady and really nice Indonesian guy cleaning the rooms, no complaints.

I think all the negative review's are from people who have stayed here while tour buses come in and i guess it can get pretty busy.
From my experience though it is a great place in a great setting.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank DaveDP-gsy
Andrea C, General Manager at LakeFront Backpackers Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Hi there.
I have just got back from two weeks in sunny Samoa and it was great to read your fantastic review on my return.
Thank you so much for your positive comments and taking the time to review us. It is great to know we ARE doing it right.

Thank you again and we hope when you pass this way you will pop back in and stay with us.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We only stayed here for one night, with the kiwi experience. But it had great facilities, if anything just alittle small. But rooms were nice, with their own bathrooms. It had a really nice garden too great for socialising. Then the communal area was great too, with a tv with a choice of dvds just by the kitchen. Also situated in a really nice area - literally right on the lake. However I would say that for a traveller it was abit too expensive just for a dorm room, probably wouldn't have stayed if I wasn't with the kiwi experience based on the price.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Hi there
I have just got back from sunny Samoa so madly catching up on everything. Thank you so much for reviewing our lodge and for your positive comments.
$30.00 pp in Lake Tekapo is an average but there are freebies in the lodge like the clothes dryers so this all helps to offset the tariff.
Thank you again and I hope you have enjoyed the rest of your time in NZ.
Safe travels

Reviewed 6 June 2014

we stayed here only for one night, the view was amazing. And up the road was the hot pools
we stayed in a little cabin outside the main house, which got very cold. Even thou the radiator was on all the time.
you have to use the toilet in the main house.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Charlotte K

Hi Charlotte
Sorry for not responding sooner but thank you for taking the time to write a comment on our lodge.
You must have stayed in one of the wee free standing double cabins just behind the main lodge. I really sorry you found it cold while you were with us but I have since put an extra heater in the unit so that will keep those winter chills away. Thanks for letting us know as we would have been none the wiser

Safe travels

Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

Right by the lake, as advertised, great views on a clear day. Being mid season, my shared room remained solely occupied. Don't expect to be able to do anything in it though. Power points were minimal, good job I was there on my own. No towels or Wifi, unless you fork out even more than the $30 for a quad share room. The kitchen was ok, both fridges were out of order, ask for ice at reception was the helpful comment . The TV did not work, so all in all the advertised amenities were well short. Value 1 out of 5, great location though.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Andrea C, General Manager at LakeFront Backpackers Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Hi Kevin from Auckland
Thank you for your comments.
Yes, you have to pay for your Wi-Fi but the coverage is great and 24 hrs unlimited is a pretty good deal. We only provide towels in our private rooms but they are available for hire from reception.
We were having issues with the fridges popping the RCD hence the offer of ice to keep your food chilled but we have since fixed that however we have purchased a brand spanking new double door commercial fridge which arrives next week, just to be on the safe side.
Thanks again for your comments.