All reviews large communal area common room necessary items ten minute walk shared bathroom location is great hot springs double bed great kitchen lake views cabin toilets winter church shepherd
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We only stayed here for one night, with the kiwi experience. But it had great facilities, if anything just alittle small. But rooms were nice, with their own bathrooms. It had a really nice garden too great for socialising. Then the communal area was great too, with a tv with a choice of dvds just by the kitchen. Also situated in a really nice area - literally right on the lake. However I would say that for a traveller it was abit too expensive just for a dorm room, probably wouldn't have stayed if I wasn't with the kiwi experience based on the price.

Date of stay: April 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Andrea C, General Manager at LakeFront Backpackers Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Hi there
I have just got back from sunny Samoa so madly catching up on everything. Thank you so much for reviewing our lodge and for your positive comments.
$30.00 pp in Lake Tekapo is an average but there are freebies in the lodge like the clothes dryers so this all helps to offset the tariff.
Thank you again and I hope you have enjoyed the rest of your time in NZ.
Safe travels

Reviewed 6 June 2014

we stayed here only for one night, the view was amazing. And up the road was the hot pools
we stayed in a little cabin outside the main house, which got very cold. Even thou the radiator was on all the time.
you have to use the toilet in the main house.

Date of stay: June 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Charlotte K

Hi Charlotte
Sorry for not responding sooner but thank you for taking the time to write a comment on our lodge.
You must have stayed in one of the wee free standing double cabins just behind the main lodge. I really sorry you found it cold while you were with us but I have since put an extra heater in the unit so that will keep those winter chills away. Thanks for letting us know as we would have been none the wiser

Safe travels

Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

Right by the lake, as advertised, great views on a clear day. Being mid season, my shared room remained solely occupied. Don't expect to be able to do anything in it though. Power points were minimal, good job I was there on my own. No towels or Wifi, unless you fork out even more than the $30 for a quad share room. The kitchen was ok, both fridges were out of order, ask for ice at reception was the helpful comment . The TV did not work, so all in all the advertised amenities were well short. Value 1 out of 5, great location though.

Date of stay: May 2014
Trip type: Travelled solo
Andrea C, General Manager at LakeFront Backpackers Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Hi Kevin from Auckland
Thank you for your comments.
Yes, you have to pay for your Wi-Fi but the coverage is great and 24 hrs unlimited is a pretty good deal. We only provide towels in our private rooms but they are available for hire from reception.
We were having issues with the fridges popping the RCD hence the offer of ice to keep your food chilled but we have since fixed that however we have purchased a brand spanking new double door commercial fridge which arrives next week, just to be on the safe side.
Thanks again for your comments.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Looking for a quick overnight stop before heading onward to Queenstown- I called this place up. Normally I am one to check reviews of places before booking but I had no time so just found a place on google on my phone and called to book.

When I arrived I realised straight away - I had failed :-(

Walking through the main entrance brings into the main kitchen dining living area... I'm not sure if the place was fully booked or not but it was jam packed! There was no seats to be had at any of the dining tables... the kitchen was jammed with people trying to cook and there was about 20 odd people trying to watch a movie above the noise of everyone else.. this was 7pm (clearly eveyones dinner time). Later on I found out this is also a 'Kiwi Experience' Stop!

I made my way to the room 4 bed share.. I opened the door - manager calls it 'cosy' but jeez.. think two sets of bunks about 1 meter apart - which is the space to enter and exit the room and any excess bag storage which exceeds the small storage at the end of the room. (enough to have one case/pack each but not much else). I also found it strange that the duvets had no covers ? Just a sheet for underneath.

I ended up grabbing a takeaway in town because I didn't want to fight for a place in the small kitchen. Next challenge was to find a seat to eat! Sleep was very disturbed by banging doors down the hallway through the night.
I woke early to grab a quick breakfast before everyone else woke. The kitchen was pretty gross, unwashed plates, cups/mugs everywhere. Sinkholes chocked full of food, and one hungry cat to follow my every move round the kitchen. I know this is the clients rather than the employees but having read other reviews about the kitchen being closed 11-2.30pm. Maybe they could use the time better by clearing in the evening - like most other places that i have stayed. Even if it was a quick clear round.

Finishing on a positive the place was warm, toasty warm :-)

Unfortunately next time I will go elsewhere.

Room tip: maybe a private room?
Date of stay: May 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled solo

Hi there
Thank you for your honest review and I'm sorry you found the lodge not to your liking.
Yes it does get busy in the lodge but that is what backpackers are like, its a chance to meet and greet and have a chat as so many travel by themselves. It would be great though if they staggered their mealtimes but unfortunately they all seem to gravitate to the kitchen at the same time :-). We do believe we have adequate seating etc to accommodate everyone. I know some people spread out but if asked to move over they are very accommodating.
We are a kiwi experience stop over but these guys are just backpackers like everyone else and if we didn't have them we would have other backpackers doing the same thing, chilling out and doing their thing.
Our duvets are washed on a regular basis and like other backpackers we give you a fitted sheet on the bottom and a top sheet to go under the duvet.
You are correct that we close the kitchen for cleaning from 11 - 12pm but we also have staff members that go up between 7 - 7.30am to give the kitchen a clean before everyone gets up. You must have been there before the cleaners with your early start so I'm sorry you have to face the kitchen. I know it gets bad at times but we also do extra wipe downs when necessary. You would have seen we have a sign up asking people to clean up as they go. I am still trying to figured out how to make this happen.
Thank you again for reviewing us. Things are quieting down now being winter so if you are passing this way again in the near future, consider staying again as I'm sure you will find it a lot more quiet and the fire is warm and welcoming.

Cheers

Reviewed 7 May 2014

the location is perfect, just walk out of the hostel and you will be able to see a blue water lake..My wife and i got ourselves a 2 person room. Nothing much to complain when you can have a pretty nice view of the lake just within stone throw distance. We stayed there for just 1 night.

Date of stay: November 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Hi kschan10 from Malaysia.
Thank you for taking the time to review Lakefront Lodge.
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and it appreciated the views on offer. Its winter here now and the temperature has certainly dropped since you were here. But the fire is cranked up and its keeping the chills away.

Thanks again