All reviews palmas del mar puerto rico water aerobics washer and dryer free shuttle bedroom villa golf cart full kitchen marina side mini mart nearby beach horseback riding el yunque rainforest walmart pools island wyndham
Reviewed 21 March 2007

After reading the previous reviews we were a little worried about our visit to Club Cala. But, we did not experience any problems or issues. The resort looks to be completely repainted and updated. Our condo had all new appliences and was very clean. We only had two issues during our stay. One: we were not able to control the temperature of the air conditioning unit, its either low or high, nothing in-between. At one point we shut the unit off, but because of the humidity in Puerto Rico, everything started to collect moisture and get wet. We decided it was better to have a cold, dry room then a warm and wet, humid room. Because of the humid conditions we kept our unit on, but had to sleep in sweetshirts and long pj pants at night, because it got so cold in our condo. The other issue was, we paid to have housekeeping clean one day while we were out on an excursion. They failed to show up, but the front deck offered to reschedule for the next morning. Otherwise the staff was very friendly, the bathrooms (sinks and shower), the kitchen(stove, fridge,microwave) and bedrooms(linens) were all very clean! Oh one more thing, Club Cala needs new pillows! My wife and I had to stuff a couple of t-shirts into our pillowcases along with the pillow for support. Overall, clean and friendly resort. We were also here with children, who had a great time between the two pools! It is a nice area where we always felt very secure. Would recommend for anyone traveling to Puerto Rico. Like I said from the start, the previous reviews of this resort were before all the upgrades and cleaning of this location. Its definately not the most expensive resort in the area, but its clean and our stay was very relaxing! Not to mention the beach is about a 5 minute walk away! Thanks Club Cala!

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank tigers75
Reviewed 18 March 2007

After an awful stay in 2005, we wondered if we would ever return. We own three weeks, wk 8,9 & 10. Although we have never taken all three at the same time, we found switching them through out the year for different weeks much better. Prior to the buy out, for only $35 you could switch your weeks. This is no longer the case. This is a big deterient to us. In 2005 we took all three weeks in one week. We had a family reunion at Club Cala. We arrived on Saturday, 11 of us. By Wednesday we were so disgusted we moved everyone to El Conquisitdor. So returning to Club Cala with different family members was a risk. We were told the improvements had been made. Checking in has never been easier. What use to take minimum of 1 hour now is done in about 10 minutes. The units were CLEAN!!!!!, NO Bugs. Curtians were NOT ripped or torn, the funiture was clean and safe. Over all the appearace of the unit was pleasurable. The common areas were clean and inviting. The kitchen appliance worked, and appeard to be fairly new. NO RUST. Although the funiture was sparse it was adequet. This can not be said for the kitchen utensils. We were missing a great deal of items that would allow for minimum comfort. The only saving grace is that all you needed to do was ask for them. Wireless you can forget about. Upon arriving I made it very clear that I would need wireless access and was told this should not be a problem. Well, in spite of the fact that the wireless system shows it to be "unsecured" , it is in fact secured. After bring this to the attention of the Management, I was told that Alfred Hunt, the new manager, would be there to help. We stayed for 12 days, within that 12 day period, I left muitiple messages for Mr. Hunt. Apparently, he was either in meetings or out. We received a return call from him the day before we were to leave and still never got to see him. Wireless is available at David's at the 4 Seasons Marriot and a small Mexican Restaurant across from the University in Humacao. Parking for handicapped is not monitored, we had a family member with us who was in a wheelchair, we often had to park in the upper level, as many cars without handicapped permits were allowed to park in the designated spots. In spite of these few problems, our over all experience was good. Much better than I expected after the horrendous experience of 2005. Club Cala does not rate a three star rating yet but the are very close. If the changes continue it just may in the near future reach the four star rating in once had. Time will tell.

Stayed: March 2007
2  Thank rkssc
Reviewed 19 February 2007

I just returned from my yearly time share vacation (week 6) at Club Cala and I could not wait to write about it! I will start by saying it was the BEST vacation I have had in years! BRAVO BRAVO to the new general manager Alfred Hunt, hes young, and ambitious, but most important he is a hands on guy. He does not hide in a fancy office, in fact he personally walks the villas and askes if there is anything you need. Mr. Hunt and his assistant Becky derserve a standing ovation! If you need to find them for any reason, look by the pools or villa porches mingling and talking to the guests. Two years ago, my husband and I celebrated our 50th anniversary with a pool side wedding and my then 11 year old grandson was so impressed that all he talked about was having his 13th birthday party the same way since we are there for his birthday every year anyway, and Alfred and Becky made it happen. What a party they threw!! The DJ was fantastic, there was food and drinks, and the dancing went on till the stars came out!! The beautiful memories we have are forever because of them, they go above and beyond. Since Alfred and Becky took over, the improvemnts are endless. Our villa had brand new furniture, the pools were spotless and each morning, every lounge was hand washed with bleach. Housekeeping was surperb and quick to respond as well. Yes it was slumping for a while, but none of the past issues are their fualt. What I see now is Club Cala climbing the ladder to paradise once again at a rapid pace!!! In 51 short weeks my family and I will be back again, and we are counting the days! It says something when on check out day you and the staff at Club Cala find yourself balling your eyes out about leaving. If you want that warm caring "family like" atmosphere from a vacation spot, Club Cala in Palmas Del Mar is the place!

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank bluprint36
Reviewed 4 February 2007

Just returned form PR & Club Cala is slightly improved from 2 years ago. The check in was painless only having to wait 2nd in line. Couple in front of us were waiting for 3 hours for handicapped room but they didn't bother to call ahead - dah?

Rooms have been updated, painted all rooms and new furniture. Still very limited in amenites, no VCR, CD or stereo; basic cable.

Kitchen upgrades are there but overshadowed by the still dismal aging cabintery. Many electrical sockets didn't work. Bathrooms are the same old cabinets and tile but painted.

Staff was much less antagonistic; helpful but still a bit young & inefficient ..what do they say about PR time??

They did mid week cleaning and exchange of sheets and refurnishing of towels soap etc. Mid week they replaced all pots and pans. Should have replaced the cutlery, too but didn't.

Trek to beach is adventure thru construction style lane. Still can't figure out why they don't clean beach of seaweed. Perhaps it is due to turtle nesting thing??

On resort amenities and restaurants are much improved. More choices than ever but still pricey.

What was classy 20 years ago now just appears ordinary in expectation and resort needs to think/act in the here & now.
2 1/2 STARS

Stayed: February 2007
2  Thank MicSte
Reviewed 15 January 2007

Had a poolside unit. The Air conditioner would never shut off Had to put towels over the vent to stay confortable. Nobody could fix the thermostat. King size bed no fitted sheet used to full sheets. No DVD old fashion VCR combo. Needs work. Would stay here but bring my own sheets and tools to fix thermostat. Nice big units but need to correct problems. I stayed during 52 week christmass.

Stayed: December 2006