All reviews kitchenette creole taxi euros french guadeloupe
Reviewed 2 April 2017

The dullest room I have ever stayed in. As I and my husband arrived at the hotel rather late after a long journey from Europe, we just wanted to get some rest. The bed was pretty comfortable, the air conditioning worked well and the bathroom seemed fine, so the way the room looked like didn`t matter. We also knew that we would stay there only two nights, so ... The morning revealed more. The room we had booked was supposed to be a sea view room. There was no view. The idea of the balcony or the terrace (choose for yourself) was really surprising. It was actually a kitchenette. In order to get there and see te outside world, one had to pull up the shutter (it made a lot of noise, probably waking up everybody in the nieghbourhood). Once you pulled up the shutter, you could step outside and see an old, rusty gate and some high plants, no sea for sure. But just a few steps away, there it was - the sea and some open space. Anyway, whenever we entered the room, it was dark and dull (very limited furniture, nothin on the walls, sad colours) as the shutter had to be closed. Once we were in the room, we could pull up the shutter and enjoy some sunshine. There was no mini bar in the room. I guess most guests come from Europe late evening (as we did) and there is nothing to drink in the room. apart from a bottle of water in the kitchenette fridge.
Sure we felt disappointed as we booked the place more than six months beforehand. We both agree that the place is simply overpriced because of the room, mostly. Although the room was quite expensive, we had to pay extra for breakfast, which was ok but nothing special. If you decide to have your breakfast outside, beware of the birds!
I couldn`t sleep a wink at night because of the birds or/and frogs. So loud! Sure, I realise it wasn`t the hotel`s fault.
The hotel itself is quite nice. A relaxing bar and swimming-pool area. Good location - a few decent places to eat out. But if you need to order a taxi, well, you need to be very patient. And a final word on the staff - the guy who checked us in - bored with his job, so I suggest he should consider changing his job. I can`t imagine spending at Mahogany my two-week holiday.

Room Tip: never ground floor
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MartiniWarsaw
AlexMonnierDirecteur, Directeur général at Mahogany Hotel Residence and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2017

Dear martiniWarsaw,

We thank you for sharing your comment on Tripadvisor following your stay at La Creole Beach Hotel & Spa.

We take good note of your remarks and some renovations are planned for this year to provide you a better accomodation.

Those rooms are sale with or without breakfast and our buffet breakfast at La Creole Beach pleased to all our customers.

We look forward to welcoming you soon again at La Creole Beach Hotel & Spa.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 21 February 2017

We stayed one night here after leaving a villa and before a flight to St Lucia the next day. We were a little early for check in but had to wait until after the due time 4pm. This seems rather late to me when you are paying for a day. The hotel was very expensive for what it is. Our room was quite small and basic and it smelt of cigarettes. I have stayed in better rooms for far less. There was one young lady on reception whose name I forget, apologies, but she was very helpful and if all staff were like her checking in and out would be so much more pleasant.

Room Tip: WE asked for a sea view, paid for it, but there was little to see.
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steve W
AlexMonnierDirecteur, Directeur général at Mahogany Hotel Residence and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2017

Dear Steve W,

We take good note of your recommandations regarding the cigarette smell and we will inform our housekeeping manager.

The check in time is 4 PM.

We look forward to welcoming you again at La Creole Beach Hotel & Spa.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 8 December 2016

This is my first experience of paying 4* getting level of no stars! Just nice professional photos to make impression of nice and clean and modern. Paid in advance.
Reality was cruel, all day somebody seemed to work reconstructing restaurant and terrace so very noisy..no where were signs of info in advance..(only nice and new part was lobby, pool and restaurant!), but rooms are way not worth 4* evaluation! Rooms are wet, humid, moldy, stinky, many devices not working properly as terrace door, kitchen link, door to waste, sink broken, toilet canalization supposingly very near! Actually we saw the truck sucking canalization pipe coming through hall very near lobby. Daily an hour of stink in not only in a room. From ceiling water is dropping if you let temperature rise above 19 degree as there is no ventilation in a room. All our things during one day were stinky and wet. All equipment including including tiles, paper doors are from 80ties and equally used appropriate to age 30-40 years of usage! Immediately we changed the first room with 3 problems including cant openning sliding door and dropping water from ceilling even with clima on. We got the next six hours later next door! Equal to first but improved of very hard to open door:-)but at least we could open it and get to terrace. So not even a motel level! how could anyone think this is appropirate to count 200EUR per night and call it 4 star! Disasterous. Not recommended at all. Our valuation on hotel room in hotel were immediately deleted:-/

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Svetlana P
Reviewed 15 December 2015

We arrived after dark and it is almost impossible to find this hotel, since there is one little tiny sign and no one ever heard of Mahogany, As you can see in the reviews below your are really staying at the La Creole Beach hotel, they are one in the same. They share everything, front desk, bar, restaurant, pool, beach, everything. Your room will just be in another building (mahogany) farther away. The room was clean and the bed comfortable, the decor is nonexistent, the lighting in the room was an after thought and is a weird spotlight screwed to the wall, with very little light. The Slider door to terrace was impossible to open took both of us to slide the door. Room has small kitchenette on the terrace, the view from the terrace is mostly blocked by a another building (paid for ocean view room) but you can see just a little of the water. We were on the third floor and the elevator was out of order for two of the days. If you forget to bring voltage plug converters they will give you one at the desk to use, and return after your stay. WiFi cost 5 euros and you have to get a code from the desk to use it, it does work well and allowed us to watch US TV and even Netflix. The staff knows very little English, so brush up on your french before going. The hotel restaurant buffet was terrible, the food was flavorless, and half the choices were not available, the staff was not helpful, and it was just not worth going to. Try some of the small local places nearby they are so much better. Over all our stay was just OK, Booked and paid on Travelocity and confirmed at check in that credit card was for incidentals only, which worked well till check out when they tried to charge us again, and the desk clerk couldn't issue a credit. He said his supervisor would do it when they came in. Two weeks now and no credit, disputing charges with AMEX.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for the ocean view, it's only a partial view since another building is blocking most of the view.
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David P
Reviewed 29 August 2015

We booked (through Expedia) four nights in this hotel, but stayed only two. Note that this hotel is part of the La Créole Beach Hotel & Spa, which is important if you are using a navigator in your car.

The Good:
The pool is nice.
There is a good, safe beach just behind the pool.
Bar staff is very professional.
There are good restaurants within walking distance.
The room has a small kitchenette, outside on the patio or balcony.
There was a free folk-dance performance in the evening.

The Bad:
The Mahogany Hotel is a older building with cramped rooms. Perhaps rooms in the main hotel, the La Créole, are nicer.
When we arrived, the staff led us to our room via an alleyway, past some large containers; it was inelegant at best.
There was heavy construction next to the hotel (earth movers). Although the hotel cannot control this, it does not provide for a "spa" feeling.

The Ugly:
At 10:00pm of the second night, all water in the hotel was turned off. We called the front desk and were told they did not know when it would be turned on. However, they would provide 2 bottles of water if we need to bathe. (???)
I went to the front desk to get the water. I was told there was none at the front desk, and the employee called the kitchen and asked them to bring us water. After waiting 5 minutes, I asked for the water to be brought to the room. An hour later, I again visited the front desk and requested water. I was told it would be brought right away. No water ever arrived.
At 6:00am I went to the front desk and asked to speak to the manager. I was told the manager would be in at "noon, or maybe 11:00".
To avoid an unpleasant situation in the bathroom in my room, I decided to use the bathroom in the lobby. Unfortunately, others had the same idea. It was not pleasant.

The Uber-Ugly:
We left early, asking for a refund for the night we stayed without water--due to health and safety issues--and for the remaining two nights due to the uncertain ability of the hotel to provide basic services.
Management responded by saying we should not have checked out because water was out for only two hours.
A follow-up email explained that "The water was cut at 10 Am on the 19th and come back at 11 AM today." It further explained "the hotel water tank can supplied water during 24H (according to our occupancy) with 120’000 lt to ensure all the hotel, restaurants and customers’ needs as well as the fire security and hygienic cleanings." (sic)
I spent an hour on the phone with Expedia to get a refund. Thank heavens they were acting on my behalf.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple