“Comfortable and atmospheric”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dingwall
Ireland
“Comfortable and atmospheric”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I stayed one night in this fine hotel while touring Scotland. The staff were really pleasent and helpful when we arrived. We had a meal in the bar and it was excellent. The room was spacious and the beds were very cosy. The decor in and around the lobby was great and what you would expect to find in a castle. There is also an interesting family portrait in the banqueting room with an interesting story attached. I enjoyed my stay here and would recommend it.

Room Tip: The room I was in was spacious
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Reviewed 20 March 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Tulloch Castle hotel on 12th and 13th march 2012. First thing we noticed approaching the hotel is the complete lack of signs for the hotel and where to park etc. the reception is a nice cosy place with a big roaring log fire. Receptionist was pleasant. We were given room 4. That's when things went down hill fast. First thing we noticed was the lack of fire escape details etc on the door, then there was the missing digital box for the tv, so we couldn't use the tv, just a heap of wires left lying below the tv. The curtains were ripped, the net curtains were torn and thread bare at the side. The bathroom was just as bad. There was no anti slip mat for inside the shower or bath or on the tiled floor which made it very slippy on exiting the bath. The toilet roll holder was broken and sitting at a bad angle. The sink work top was poor Witt he laminate cover peeling away from the wood because of water damage. The bin in the bathroom was broken aswell. The worst bit was the plastic cover over the mattress in the bed. It was bad for sleeping on because it sticks to you and makes you sweat aswell. We requested spare pillows as I need to sleep at height. Spare pillows were in the cupboard and used the first night. Went out during next day came back and the pillows had been taking away. The housekeepers need to be made aware or retrained etc.
The breakfasts were in general ok but don't go by what the menu on display says. The cooked breakfast was ok except for the half slice of black pudding or haggis pudding. The bacon was poor and was cooked like leather. There was no croissants or pastries like its says. No mueller yoghurts like it advertises just cheap yoghurts. The cereals were not kellogs as advertised. Overall the breakfast would have been better if you go down the road to the Tesco store. We also had dinner both nights in the restaurant. The service was good. The setting was ok. The food needs improved. The main problem was not getting what was actually advertised on the menu. Small things were missing from most dishes. Portion size needs to be increased, despite it being fine dining the portions were poor. Better just booking b and b and eating at the bar.
Overall the most I would give this hotel is a one star. We have stayed in quite a few Oxford hotels and this is the very worst of them. We emailed oxfords hotels and informed them of the room etc.
The manageress was pleasant and helpful but has a big job to do if the hotel is to meet its four star ratings. I don't know when the ratings were given but the AA and the Scotish Tourist Board seriously need to re assess it's ratings etc.

Overall, poor room, poor breakfast , one star.

Stayed March 2012
4 Thank Ian P
OHIML, General Manager at Tulloch Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Dear Guest
Once again for your comments. We have already address many of the issues you list above and I have already discussed many of them with you and we have come to a mutually convenient solution to the issues.
For some of your other points now raised regarding the food, I can assure you we use quality food items such as Kellogg’s products at breakfast, we order Muller yoghurts and unfortunately our supplier ran out for your particular stay. Our Chef’s take pride in their work and would have been happy to discuss any of your concerns with you during or after your dinner on either or both nights.
Thank you once again for your feedback, which has helped Tulloch Castel Hotel move forward.
Kind regards

Travellers are raving about these Dingwall hotels

Reviewed 12 March 2012

We booked one night stay from late rooms and were very excited about staying in a castle and a haunted one at that.. After driving over 180 miles we definately expected a much warmer welcome than we got. The receptionist was very cold and didn't try to engage in any conversation at all. Had we not driven a long way I would have looked elsewhere. I am however glad that we did'nt as the rest of the staff were very friendly and helpful. We had dinner in the turret restaurant and we enjoyed it very much. The portion size could be a little bigger but it was inexpensive and tasty.
Our room looked out onto Dingwall and was clean. Our mattress was very hard and lumpy though so not comfy.
Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our night and enjoyed conversations with knowledgable and friendly staff which added to the atmosphere.
My only recommendation would be to train the receptionist as check out was just as impersonal as check in and a smile with a little engaging chat goes a long way to make the experience 100% positive.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Kitty2112
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay. All our staff love working at the Castle and the reception team are particularly upset that you did not receive a warm welcome and are determined to better. We look forward to welcoming you back sometime in the future and will make sure your welcome is a much more positve one.
Kind regards
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I cant really complain about anything about this hotel, I enjoyed the large room, 2 double beds plenty of other furniture and still loads of room, staff are very good well apart from the waitress not knowing the difference between lager and beer, she was quite young but really workin in a bar cmon

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank jimbo367
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I feel compelled to write a review regarding Tulloch Castle even though I haven't stayed overnight.
Myself, family and work collegues were planning a Christmas dance (bring a party to a party), I drove to the castle and was told that I could provisionally book it and confirmation would arrive within a week! Three weeks later I drove back again to see if there was a problem only to be told, sorry, we're having Staff problems, but I'll take note and get someone to phone/email you.....3 weeks later, I again go back to the hotel, only to be told the party nights are cancelled due to lack of interest????? I'm not surprised if everyone got treated the same way.
On a night out towards the end of December, I was talking with some friends who was telling me they were going to Tulloch Castle for their Christmas night out, I asked if they were sure as the Christmas nights had been cancelled. WRONG....it looks like it was only cancelled to our party 'cause they certainly didn't want us there!!!
I phoned the hotel and spoke to the Manageress, she apologised and said that the hotel has had a few problems with Staff and she was now the new Manageress and hoped that things would improve. She then told me that they were going to be introducing a new menu in January and would like to invite my Husband and myself to the new menu taster, I said that would be lovely, so she took my details and said she'd call after the New Year. Looks like another Staff problem has occurred as no phonecall has happened.

Certainly not a happy customer here.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank Nonee
OHIML, General Manager at Tulloch Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 9 March 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comment. As discussed on our call at the end of December, I apologised for any inconvenience caused and that I understood your frustration with regard to your potential booking for a party last Christmas.

During our call, I did say that we were most likely going to be having an Open Day in the New Year and that I would like to invite you to this, as you lively locally. As we have not yet had an open day to day, I have not contacted you. I would be happy for you to contact me direct so we can arrange for you to come into the hotel for a showround of this magnificent building followed by afternoon tea.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dingwall
5.6 km away
38.5 km away
Dornoch Castle Hotel
Dornoch Castle Hotel
#2 of 6 in Dornoch

Been to Tulloch Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!