All reviews english patient surrounding countryside three nights juice and coffee stand still magical place peaceful retreat wonderful hospitality wonderful stay stefano monastery refectory lemon history agriturismo montepulciano tuscany
Reviewed 16 June 2010

You will love Sant'Anna in Camprena. It is a beautiful, restored monastery in tuscany with its own frescos in the refrectory. It was featured in the film, 'The English Patient". It is beyond charming. It is spotlessly clean, our room was incredibly charming with a beautiful view. If you go...be sure to take the evening meal. It is worth every penny and the wine was luscious. The breakfast which was included lures you to the diningroom with smells that were irresistable. The price was very reasonable and the area surrounding it very walkable. and the grounds themselves lovely with dew coveres lemons hanging from trees in the garden It really is paradise. Be sure to go into the little chapel to the left of the front door. It is close to Pienza. I wish we could have stayed longer and on my next trip I will.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2010

Agriturismo Sant'Anna in Camprena is a wonderful old monastery built in the 1400's. It is perfectly situated to take day trips to Pienza, Montepulciano, Montalcino, Siena, the thermal baths, La Foce and other local sightseeing highlights!

We were given a lovely and large apartment where we were able to 'cook in' on the nights when we didn't go out for dinner or go to the dining room in the monastery. We were there for 7 nights and had dinner in the dining room when it was available (4 nights). Each dinner had 4 courses and jugs of wine for 20 Euros per person...a wonderful value considering the quality of cooking...all done in their own kitchen.

The bells chimed at 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. to announce breakfast and dinner...we would then wend our way through the lemon and lime garden courtyard, complete with a fish pond, and an incredible view of the surrounding countryside, to arrive at the refectory, where we were treated to local recipes using fresh produce and homemade pasta (pici...just excellent!).

Stefano and Ornila (sp?) were superb hosts...friendly, helpful, and delightful.

We plan on returning to Tuscany again one day in the future...we will return to Sant'Anna for sure! The views from the courtyard are breathtaking!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2010

Two retired couples just got back and we were sooooo happy with our stay here. You'll first be struck by the beauty of the former monastery and then by the setting. It is perched high on a hill overlooking the surrounding countryside. An olive grove is below you to the west and a forest beyond that. Villas and a little town can be seen to the north. Rooster pheasants crow in the distance and they are the loudest noise you can hear.You are greeted by Ornella, who is warm and very helpful (on our final evening she spent over 90 minutes trying to help us find a place to stay in Rome with phone calls, emails, internet search, friend calling, print outs etc.). We ate one delicious meal which was an excellent value. We had olives, cheese, bread, a mushroomy pasta course, roast duck, roast boar liver (interesting), salad, dessert, sparkling water, wine and coffee. The flavor of the old monastery has been maintained, even as the rooms have been modernized. There are excellent hiking opportunities and another guest came from northern Italy because the biking is so good in the area. Besides Pienza close by, there are other beautiful little towns to explore and have a meal or glass of wine. At one little country intersection place, 5 of us had appetizers, pasta, meat, salad,wine, dessert wine and grappa for 50 euro. Sant' Anna is a very special place

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 April 2010

This was the most beautiful place I have stayed in. If you enjoy architecture, and visiting places of historic significance, I highly recommend this place to stay. Not only was the building amazing, but the staff was too. I was greeted with only smiles, and if i asked for something I always received it within a minute. The rooms were very clean, as was the bathroom, and there were great views from my room. I was extremely happy with my stay here.

• Stayed: April 2010
Reviewed 16 November 2009

For anyone who has given up on Tuscany as being too expensive and overcrowded with tourists, Sant’Anna in Camprena is the place to go. Once an abandoned Benedectine monastery (15th c.), it has been lovingly restored as an extremely comfortable agriturismo, while still retaining its graciousness and old-world dignity, serenity, and charm. The approach is up a magnificent drive lined with ancient cypress trees. The monastery’s hilltop position offers commanding views of the surrounding Val d’Orcia (I saw many guests sketching and painting.). You are welcomed by the indefatigable and extremely efficient, helpful, and friendly Ornella. The rooms are simple but quite comfortable and spotless, and the bathrooms are great. (The towels are also big and fluffy--a rarity in agriturismos). My room (like many) had a breathtaking view of the valley. Others look out over the beautiful large garden, which is for the exclusive use of the guests. Breakfast (included in the room price) is excellent, and you will definitely want to take advantage of the very reasonably priced, delicious. and generously served four-course dinner (including a big jug of wine)--all for only 20 euros more. Sant’Anna is within easy striking distance (by car) of numerous attractions: Pienza is a 10-minute drive. Siena, about an hour. And there are numerous small charming villages to explore nearby. A knowledgeable and extremely personable driving/tour guide service is provided by Ilario, owner/operator of Il Postalino della Val’Dorcia (tel: [--]). If you want to brush up on your Italian, as I did, there’s an excellent language school (www.scuolacamprena.it) just down the hill. But you may find yourself content simply to take long walks in the surrounding countryside or curl up with good book in the garden. The monastery itself has an important series of frescoes by the Renaissance painter Il Sodoma that decorate the walls of the original refectory. I was there for only a week, but it seemed like a long luxurious month. I literally cried when I left!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo