USD 167
Il Chiostro di Pienza(Pienza)(Great Value!)
USD 191
USD 166
  • Breakfast included
Piccolo Hotel La Valle Pienza(Pienza)(Great Value!)
USD 126
USD 109
Poggio Tobruk(Pienza)(Great Value!)
USD 126
Affittacamere Maria Gabriella(Monticchiello)(Great Value!)
USD 122
Hotel Rutiliano(Pienza)(Great Value!)
USD 125
USD 121
Hotels.com
USD 287
Hotel Residence San Gregorio(Pienza)(Great Value!)
USD 137
USD 133
Priceline
L'Olmo(Monticchiello)
USD 465
USD 400
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsenglish patientpeaceful retreatthree nightsjuice and coffeestand stillmagical placetuscan countrysidewonderful staystefanomonasteryrefectorylemonhistoryagriturismomontepulcianovalhosts
Reviewed 29 May 2012

You approach this lovely monastery via a dirt road lined with cypress trees and olive groves. For us, Sant'Anna in Camprena is a magical retreat in the Val d'Orcia (a UNESCO world heritage site), one of the most beautiful areas of Tuscany. The 360 views of the Crete-Senese hills around the monastery are serene and peaceful - classic Tuscan countryside. The well kept internal garden with flowering lemon trees and a beautiful terrace is a perfect place to enjoy a glass of Tuscan wine and take in the sunset. Our hosts, Ornella and Stefano, are always gracious and willing to accommodate our special requests. Do not miss out on the opportunity to have dinner in the old refectory, particularly if they are serving Stefano's mother's home made gnocchi with pesto sauce - the best gnocchi we've had in Tuscany, bar none. Also, the duck roasted with fennel is outstanding. The dinners we had on our most recent stay far exceeded our expectations. The rooms are exceptionally clean as are the bathrooms. It is a quiet, peaceful experience to sleep in the monks old cells. The furniture and decor of the rooms are basic but comfortable. As we consider this a great place to unwind and retreat from our fast paced life back in the US, we welcome that there are no phones or TVs in the rooms. Breakfast is served in the refectory and consists of fresh croissants/cornetos, fresh fruit, yogurt, cereals, home made apple cake, and freshly made coffee with hot milk. The location of the monastery is very convenient for visiting Pienza (just down the road), Montepulciano, Cortona, Montalcino and San Quirico. It is also fun to explore the small hillside towns across the valley - Castel Muzio, Petroio and Trequanda. Overall, we think Sant'Anna is an exceptional value for the quality and the experience of staying in a 15th century Benedictine monastery. We already look forward to our next stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2012

I spent three nights here while exploring Tuscany. I was traveling in a party of 4 females. The Agriturismo Sant'Anna was our favorite place to stay. We also stayed in Venice, Portovenere, and Rome. Staying here was idyllic and offered a quiet relaxing atmosphere which was wonderful after visiting crowded streets of some of Tuscany's smaller villages. We ate dinner on Saturday which was our last night on the premises - amazing. Ornella & Stefano are terrific hosts. We arrived late due to getting lost on our way - both were very accommodating with our late arrival. If you're looking for serenity, this is definitely the place to stay. You will need a vehicle if staying here. One of the perks was riding the rural roads to see the countryside - truly an unforgettable experience of touring Tuscany.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 May 2012

I stayed at the B&B agriturismo at Sant'Anna in Camprena over Easter weekend April 6-8, 2012. I did not rent a car, so finding the place was a bit of an adventure. Other patrons told me that even with a car it was confusing. I had thought to take the train from Florence to Siena, then take a bus from Siena to Pienza then take a cab from Pienza - the nearest town - to the agriturismo. Just before I left, I discovered that Pienza didn't have any official taxi service. At that stage, I should have asked Ornella if she knew anyone who could pick me up, but I didn't. So cue one handsome, but fast driving Sienese taxi driver and over 90 euros later I arrived. The place was absolutely beautiful, on top of a hill, with classic Tuscany views that were breathtaking in their gorgeous, distant vistas and clarity of air. My room was large, comfortable with two windows with staggeringly romantic views. The whole place was spotless with excellent housekeeping and groundskeeping. The rates were extremely reasonable even with a 3 day minimum. The dinners - which cost extra and require reservations - were delicious, served in 4 courses with home grown olive oil and wine to accompany. Breakfasts are typical B&B, bread, milk, cereals, tea, coffee, juice, pastries. But bear in mind, this is a place to relax and get away from everything, so there are no elevators, no TVs, no radios and with only spotty Wi-Fi in one room. And Tuscany is the countryside, really. The nearest town is Pienza which is 5 km away and the roads are not the kind you see in Chianti countryside postcards. They are two lane country roads with speeding cars and ditches on either side so walking would have been dangerous. With the weather terrible the entire time I was there - cold, cloudy and rainy with a bad storm blowing violently for hours on Easter afternoon - I relaxed with my Kindle either in my room or in the old monastery kitchen with its massive, BBQ-an-ox-sized open fireplace. When it stopped raining, I would brave the gorgeous courtyards and trails around the agriturismo, the olive groves and vineyards were nearby, but I didn't get to walk them due to all the mud. Ornella was so incredibly helpful, with her English much better than my Italian. She knew two men in Pienza who functioned as unofficial taxi drivers who helped me out with rides - thank you Ilario and Gregorio. She even shared the Easter meal her mother made for her with me. It was delicious. This is the place where they filmed the movie The English Patient, which is one of the main reasons I chose to stay here, so I got my cinematic thrills taking pictures of the iconic monastery. Despite all the logistical problems getting to the agriturismo, I would stay here again in a second and recommend it highly to anyone who is thinking about it. Ornella, Stefano and their staff work very very hard and wear many hats to make your stay pleasant and relaxing. Just plan on some extra time finding the place.

Room Tip: There is no elevator and no porters. Be prepared to lug your suitcases up at least two flights of stairs if you stay in the upper rooms. I didn't notice any a/c but the heating via radiators was excellent.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Alicia P
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Si tratta di un posto da incanto, dove regna la pace. Gli edifici, pur essendo ben curati, conservano un'atmosfera d'altri tempi. ll monastero e' circondato da una bellissima campagna che comprende dolci colline, fitti boschi, deliziosi paesini, e case coloniche di nobile aspetto. Calda l'accoglienza offerta dagli osti. Ci tornerei volentieri.

It's an enchanting place where peace reigns. The buildings retain an air of the past, though they are well kept up. The monastery is surrounded by a very beautiful countryside which takes in rolling hills, dense forests, delightful villages, and the typical Tuscan "case coloniche," noble stone farmhouses. The hospitality offered by the hosts is very warm. I would like to go back!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 May 2012

There is something magical about this place. Wondrous scenery, beautifullly preserved history, warm, welcoming staff. A very special place and the highlight of our time in Tuscany. Rather than high end amenities, the serenity, beauty and history are the draws here.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family