“Tuscany IS the countryside - really”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pienza
Agriturismo Sant'Anna in Camprena
Reviewed 5 May 2012

I stayed at the B&B agriturismo at Sant'Anna in Camprena over Easter weekend April 6-8, 2012. I did not rent a car, so finding the place was a bit of an adventure. Other patrons told me that even with a car it was confusing. I had thought to take the train from Florence to Siena, then take a bus from Siena to Pienza then take a cab from Pienza - the nearest town - to the agriturismo. Just before I left, I discovered that Pienza didn't have any official taxi service. At that stage, I should have asked Ornella if she knew anyone who could pick me up, but I didn't. So cue one handsome, but fast driving Sienese taxi driver and over 90 euros later I arrived. The place was absolutely beautiful, on top of a hill, with classic Tuscany views that were breathtaking in their gorgeous, distant vistas and clarity of air. My room was large, comfortable with two windows with staggeringly romantic views. The whole place was spotless with excellent housekeeping and groundskeeping. The rates were extremely reasonable even with a 3 day minimum. The dinners - which cost extra and require reservations - were delicious, served in 4 courses with home grown olive oil and wine to accompany. Breakfasts are typical B&B, bread, milk, cereals, tea, coffee, juice, pastries. But bear in mind, this is a place to relax and get away from everything, so there are no elevators, no TVs, no radios and with only spotty Wi-Fi in one room. And Tuscany is the countryside, really. The nearest town is Pienza which is 5 km away and the roads are not the kind you see in Chianti countryside postcards. They are two lane country roads with speeding cars and ditches on either side so walking would have been dangerous. With the weather terrible the entire time I was there - cold, cloudy and rainy with a bad storm blowing violently for hours on Easter afternoon - I relaxed with my Kindle either in my room or in the old monastery kitchen with its massive, BBQ-an-ox-sized open fireplace. When it stopped raining, I would brave the gorgeous courtyards and trails around the agriturismo, the olive groves and vineyards were nearby, but I didn't get to walk them due to all the mud. Ornella was so incredibly helpful, with her English much better than my Italian. She knew two men in Pienza who functioned as unofficial taxi drivers who helped me out with rides - thank you Ilario and Gregorio. She even shared the Easter meal her mother made for her with me. It was delicious. This is the place where they filmed the movie The English Patient, which is one of the main reasons I chose to stay here, so I got my cinematic thrills taking pictures of the iconic monastery. Despite all the logistical problems getting to the agriturismo, I would stay here again in a second and recommend it highly to anyone who is thinking about it. Ornella, Stefano and their staff work very very hard and wear many hats to make your stay pleasant and relaxing. Just plan on some extra time finding the place.

Room Tip: There is no elevator and no porters. Be prepared to lug your suitcases up at least two flights of s...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Alicia P

Reviewed 4 May 2012

Si tratta di un posto da incanto, dove regna la pace. Gli edifici, pur essendo ben curati, conservano un'atmosfera d'altri tempi. ll monastero e' circondato da una bellissima campagna che comprende dolci colline, fitti boschi, deliziosi paesini, e case coloniche di nobile aspetto. Calda l'accoglienza offerta dagli osti. Ci tornerei volentieri.

It's an enchanting place where peace reigns. The buildings retain an air of the past, though they are well kept up. The monastery is surrounded by a very beautiful countryside which takes in rolling hills, dense forests, delightful villages, and the typical Tuscan "case coloniche," noble stone farmhouses. The hospitality offered by the hosts is very warm. I would like to go back!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 May 2012

There is something magical about this place. Wondrous scenery, beautifullly preserved history, warm, welcoming staff. A very special place and the highlight of our time in Tuscany. Rather than high end amenities, the serenity, beauty and history are the draws here.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Sant’Anna is a very special place to us as we got married there in July 2011. We originally found the monastery as it was pointed out as the place where they filmed ‘The English Patient’ in our guidebook but it is also known for its frescos by Sodoma, a famous renaissance artist.

We decided to get married there because the place is very atmospheric to start with. But as we had guests travelling to Italy from all across Europe it was also very convenient as it was possible to rent the whole place for the weekend and all 65 guests could sleep there. Accommodation at Sant’Anna’s is quite basic but – again – very special as many of the rooms are former monk’s cells with the comfort of a monk’s cell – no en-suite facilities, no TVs, no spa. You stay there for the atmosphere and the peace and quiet.

Coming from Switzerland it wouldn’t have been possible to organise a wedding in Italy without the help of Ornella, the Lady of the house. Hosting several weddings a year she has a good network of local people to work with – different caterers, florists, hairdresse, sound system and everything else you would need for a big party, and she found a solution to any kind of problem.

What also needs pointing out is the food at Sant’Anna’s. In the evenings they serve a delicious, typical Tuscan meal, all home made with wine from their own vineyard. For our wedding weekend we had a welcome dinner on Saturday evening hosted by their own staff. As it was raining it was not possible to have the dinner outside so they set up long tables and benches in the cloister which was only candlelit. This was not only extremely atmospheric but the food they served - plate after plate of typical antipasti followed by home-made pasta – was a unique experience not only for people who’ve never been to Tuscany before.

The wedding ceremony took place in the Refettorio which is the room with the frescos. There is also a church that can be used but only for traditional Christian ceremonies. The reception and dinner were outside in the garden overlooking the hills of Val d’Orcia. For us there was no need for a lot of entertainment as it was just gorgeous to enjoy the sunset, the warm summer night and the excellent food, wine and good company.

Thank you to Ornella and Stefano and their Staff for all their hard work and for making Sant’Anna an unforgettable place you’ll have to go back to.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Daniela3107
Reviewed 10 December 2011

First of all the pictures on website do not do this Agriturismo justice
We spent 4 nights at Sant'Anna in Camprena and it was amazing. The Monastery is an incredible place to stay. Everywhere the athmosphere is very striking. In the great garden were the air is scented with lemon blossoms, you can enjoy a glass of wine looking the spectacular view on the hills. But the best starts when you make your way to the restaurant, however... everything is perfect. Good wine, best service and best meals we had in Italy. The staff of the Agriturismo is awesome, the owners (Ornella and Stefano) are professional, warm, knowledgeable and very helpful really know what they do.
If you love food, wine, art, history, quiet and you don't need TV, AC, pool... just go... you will love it!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple