“Excellent supper!”

Akrogiali
Ranked #37 of 68 Restaurants in Palaiochora
Cuisines: Greek
Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

Had a mix of dishes - gyro, mixed meat dish, Greek salad, house wine - all excellent and great prices! Hoping we get to go back before we leave.

Reviewed 10 July 2017

Akrogiali serves up super fresh fish. You have to order a full grilled fish, it's really delicious. My parents had the traditional cooked meal of the day which they loved and we shared a bunch of appetizers. Everything was great.

Reviewed 20 December 2016

I normally only write a review if I have something positive to say. Only once before have I written a negative restaurant review, but Akrogiali needs a major shake-up. We started with an order of stuffed zucchini flowers, which we really enjoyed. Never had them before, or since, so we had nothing to compare this dish with. However, the main dishes were terrible. I ordered a swordfish steak, mostly because when we were in a wonderful little place in Chania, a woman at the table next to us ordered their swordfish and had an amazing and generous thick steak. But my hopes were dashed by a ridiculously thin steak which was totally dry. It was so thin it would have been almost impossible to be cooked otherwise. A tomato had been mechanically sliced so that each slice was the thinnest imaginable -- but spread out to cover a large portion of the plate. My wife ordered the pork souvlaki, and received two skewers of very small bite sized cubes of dry meat. Same spread of thin tomato slices. When we were done, we waited patiently for our waitress to check on us. She served the table next to us, but never a glance in our direction, then back to the kitchen area to stand around talking and laughing with the two cooks. I finally had to literally stand up and get in her face to ask for the bill. When we were leaving, I did complain about the swordfish, and was told it was the fault of the fish market! But if you pay the piper, you get to call the tune -- excuse not accepted.
The owner of the apartments where we were staying said the restaurant was under new ownership. Maybe it will change again, because I can't see anyone being a repeat customer with the meals we had, which were by far the worst in our almost a month in Crete. The evening was not a total bust though, as a guitarist busking across the street was really good.

Reviewed 19 September 2016

We had a light lunch here once and we both had a gyros. It was perfectly good but it's difficult to say much about gyros! There were plenty of other items on the menu but we only wanted a light snack for lunch. Good location right on the sea front.

Reviewed 16 September 2016

Nice restaurant on the beach promenade. The gyros is very good as is the service. The papoutsakia was disappointing however.