“An excellent small military museum in small town”

Musee de la Legion Etrangere
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Aubagne
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 10 March 2018

I live around this museum so I come here several times. each time I recommend friend and family to visit here. It is small but excellent museum about the history of French Foreign Legion.

Date of experience: March 2018
in 6 reviews
"history"
"provence"

Reviewed 15 February 2017 via mobile

Don't get me wrong its still good but I've been to this museum several times now and.... I can't put my finger on it.... it's always left me a tad hungry...
Don't let me put you off! Its well laid out, has loads of interesting things to see and it's a must for anyone who is interested in the French Foreign Legion.
I do recommend however the FFL uniform museum at the veterans home near Puyloubier(About an hours drive from Aubagne)
It's well worth a visit and the chateau with its surrounding vineyards tended by veteran legionnaires has more of that " je ne regrette rien"atmosphere about it .....
Vive la legion!

Date of experience: February 2017
1  Thank steve c
Reviewed 28 June 2016

They even sell their own wine. Good bookshop. Take your time because there is a lot to see and to read.

Date of experience: June 2016
Reviewed 6 May 2016

My husband has a great interest in all things military so when our cruise ship docked in Marseilles we hired a taxi which took us some distance out of the city to the museum.

Well worth a visit if you are interested in military history, However how much more informative and enjoyable it would have been if the Foreign Legion could just unbend a little to accommodate those like ourselves who do not have the advantage of being able to speak and read the French language. I suppose I would be shot at dawn for mentioning that English is considered a lingua Franca and just a small translation to accompany the lengthy information in French at each exhibit would be greatly appreciated by many visitors, perhaps.

Date of experience: April 2016
5  Thank Caryn W
See more reviews
Reviewed 5 November 2015

Unless you have a particular interest, this free museum may not be worth going very far out of your way to see, especially if you don't read French. Hours are not posted-they completely close for lunch (I believe 12-2) where even the gates to the parking area are closed. There is an interesting gift shop-we had heard there was a shop with other items near the main entrance but the officers on duty directed back to the museum store. Since this is not far from Marseille, it can be worth stopping by.

Date of experience: October 2015