Cabinas El Pueblo Bed & Breakfast
Travelocity
USD 64*
USD 56*
  • Breakfast included
Hotel El Sueno(Santa Elena)
USD 29*
USD 68*
USD 267*
USD 259*
Hotels.com
USD 51*
All reviewsthe kitchenthe ownercosta ricaprivate roomsmall streamfree breakfastbudget optionpancakesdelicious coffeeevery morningcommunal areastwo nightsvarious activitiesbreakfast is servedin towna great stayincluded in the price
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 January 2012

We stayed here for 6 nights in September 2011. A nice clean and spacious room with a clean ensuite bathroom. Our Spanish is very poor but we managed to book numberous excursions through Freddie who was always cheerful and willing to help. All trips we booked through Cabinas El Pueblo ran smoothly. Decent sized kitchen downstairs for preparing your own meals and tasty, varied breakfasts included in the price.
Great views of the thunderstorms from the upstairs balcony. Kept us entertained in the wet evenings.

Room Tip: Ask for a room upstairs. They seemed more spacious and bright. The rooms downstairs are cheaper though.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JulieL398
Monteverde Host... C, Gerente at Cabinas El Pueblo Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2012

Thank you very much for your comment every day work to be better

Reviewed 9 January 2012

During my travels through Costa Rica with my friend for about two weeks and staying in 'party' style hostels I wanted to give us a break from the bustle and hustle and chill out for a couple of nights. Cabinas El Pueblo was the perfect place to relax after a long day of hiking and everyone seemed to have the same chill attitude. Freddy -- the owner-- was really nice and did his very best to make sure we had a pleasant experience by helping us book tours and relaying some other important information. Even though I don't speak much spanish & Freddy spoke very little english, I felt that we could communicate fairly easily.

We stayed in a private room this time and it was clean, quiet, and cozy. Exactly what I was hoping for.

I reccomend this place for anyone looking to get a good nights sleep & looking for a safe and relaxing atmosphere.

-- The free breakfast was also a plus!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Monteverde Host... C, Propietario at Cabinas El Pueblo Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2012

Thank you very much for your comment every day work to be better.

Yes, you read right!

We are a canadian family of four that has travelled extensively around the world. We had reserved one family room for two nights for a total amount of USD120 at Cabinas El Pueblo. We arrived on a cold and rainy afternoon.

After checking the chilly and very drafty room, thanks to a 2" crack underneath the room door , I decided to have a shower to warm up, only to find out that this shower could only provide cold water. At this point we informed the young man at the desk that we would only be staying for one night. He then called the manager, who upon arrival requested immediate cash payment for both nights, whether we stayed one night or two, because of her reservation policy. We reminded her that hot water had been promised. She then stormed to our room and stood about 10 minutes in front of the shower, desperately trying to get hot water from it. Turning back to us, she declared this was hot water by Costa Rican standards...
I then tried to reason with her to no avail, and finally offering to pay one full night, plus half the second one as a compensation, which would have come to USD 90. She first agreed, but then added that she would no take in account the amount already paid as a deposit for the room and would keep that amount. If we didn't pay, she threatened to take the money from my credit card and then left.
After her departure, her sister took over and informed us that we had 10 minutes to leave or she would call the police if we didn't go. Again, I tried to reason with her, but she would only cover her ears with her hands and refused to look or speak to me.
As she had promised, three armed Costa Rican police officers arrived...Speaking only Spanish, she then proceded to give them an animated report , which we could not understand, as our Spanish is very limited. The young man at the reception was then asked by the police officers to inform us that because of a Costa Rican law that allows hostel/hotel operators to accept or refuse customers, they could not intervene and politely asked us to leave. Our deposit was then promptly returned.
The owner's sister then watched us with a grin on her face quickly pack our belongings while shouting over to phone to the young man at the desk to cut the Internet in the cabinas,

This is how, escorted by three police officers, four peaceful canadians were rudely expulsed of Cabinas El Pueblo on a dark, rainy night in Monteverde.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank S0212

I can not believe that tourists like you make comments like these where you have never stayed at my hostel is unfortunate. I can not believe

Reviewed 7 January 2012

My husband and I spent 3 nights at Cabinas El Pueblo in early December and experienced constant friendliness and genuine care from Marleny, Freddy, and Diego. We initially wanted to save money and booked a double room dowstairs with shared bathroom. The double accomodation downstairs comparable to most hostels I have stayed in over the years: clean and basic. On the second night, we chose to move upstairs, since it was our honeymoon and the room was only 15$ more for a warm private shower and a very spacious room. The hostel is in a quiet area, yet a 2 minute walk to town and supermarket. It has internet access-a must for us since we did not travel with a computer. We were also able to use the phone to make in country phone calls.
Each day, Diego took time to talk to us and advise us on where to go. He suggested a beautiful local spot and even asked Freddy if he could show us a coffee plantation. This was our most memorable moment of our entire 2 week vacation. Our afternoon with Freddy inspired us to be more like him: selfless, friendly, and humble.
Soda La Amistad next door has the best Casado in all Costa Rica and they give you free desert. Breakfast at the hostel is a great value with fresh fruit daily and choice of granola or something else (pancakes, eggs, omlets)
We will remember out time there for a very long time and are very grateful for the honest travel advice in a town that can be a tourist trap. If you are over 30 and are questionning if you should stay in a hostel, it is worth it. The upstairs rooms are quiet and private.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for coming to Cabinas El Pueblo, and share with us, and thank you very much for your comment we are happy to help.

Reviewed 7 January 2012

Everyone working here was so kind and helpful. The rooms were clean and secure. Breakfast was included and hot tea or coffee was offered to us when we returned in the afternoons looking chilled. This is my favorite place that I stayed during all of my time in Costa Rica. I highly recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple