All reviews liver sausage upcountry delay security
Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

I stayed here for three nights while in the Gulu area for work. The hotel staff were friendly and accommodating. The food was satisfactory and served in a timely fashion. The room was clean and adequately appointed, with a good view of the dawning sun. The water pressure left something to be desired, but I was able to shower. Overall, my experience was enjoyable. The security was provided by the local police force, so was unconcerning to us. I would recommend this hotel to a friend visiting the area.

Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 8 February 2018

Stayed for 6 nights while on a medical mission with a total of 14 people in our group. Was not expecting much but we were pleasantly surprised. Security is tight at the hotel; appears to be frequented by UN, USAid and other foreigners. I stayed alone in a room with a queen size bed. Furnishings were nice if not fancy. Had a seating area with tea kettle and coffee service. Everything was clean. Had A/C with a remote that actually worked. Some in our group had difficulties with their A/C, although they were serviced eventually. Advertised hot water but this was hit or miss. I have traveled in other out-of-the-way places so actually having hot water much of the time was nice.

Since we had a large group, we always dined buffet style--usually breakfast and dinner. Breakfast had fruit, a couple starches, some meat (goat, liver, sausage), hard-boiled eggs, instant coffee and tea. They did have espresso service and true brewed coffee on request. Unsure if they did eggs to order. Dinners tended to have a salad, several starches, a couple veggies and a couple meats. Meat tended to be fish, goat, and occasional chicken. Full bar and coolers of sodas available. None of this was fancy but reasonably tasty and better than what we typically got outside of the hotel.

Hotel grounds were nice with a fantastic pool, a gym, spa, sauna, and fitness area. Staff were helpful if not very chatty.

Overall, I thought it was nice for where it was. Better than prior Gulu hotels where we have stayed. I might be frustrated if I were expecting the Ritz or something like that. However, for where it is, I thought it was fine and exceeded the expectations of our team.

Room tip: There is live music on the weekends so ask for a room that does not face the restaurant if you want a quiet evening
Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 January 2018 via mobile

The service at this hotel was horribly poor. Water in the shower stopped running while I was still soapy. Attempts to get management were futile. We called the reception six times before we were then moved to another room with torn curtains - 3 hours later. Wifi in this room (101) did not work, the hair dryer did not work, the bathroom door did not lock, the wall paint was peeling off... The hotel management did not consider giving us a discount for the horrible service. We asked to speak with the manager, without any luck. Next time, we know better than to stay here.

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2017

We got a very bad welcome at the reception with a team that seemed not to know why they are on duty, soo rude and unwelcoming.
Checked in and went for dinner, the dinning is great but were disappointed that we could not have a simple starter like spring rolls in such a big hotel, ordered for Pork and Chicken but it was horrible, tasted bitter, with lots of vegetables, my friends Chicken was tasteless,oily and hard as if the chicken had stayed in the fridge for a month. The breakfast is so limited and horrible. But had a wonderful and beaming welcome for breakfast from the waitress at the entrance.
The Chef should wake up and do his job, we could visibly see and hear alot of noise from the cooks a lady exchanging with the waiter on top of her voice and an echo from the other cooks, this is un professional and disturbs dinners,we need value for money not quantity.

Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank sovenkov123
Reviewed 12 May 2017 via mobile

The rooms are over priced for an upcountry hotel. The food is all fried with too much oil. The rooms are terrible no air con or tv remote control. They have small shower cubicles with broken shower doors and the toilet water pressure leaves alot to be desired. The corridor carpet has a musty smell amd needs an overhaul. Renovation work terribly overdue. Tip: confirm your room rate before you commit and ask to see the room types.

Date of stay: May 2017