“Beautiful retreat in Tuscany”

Fontebussi Tuscan Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cavriglia
NC
“Beautiful retreat in Tuscany”
Reviewed 14 October 2011

Fontebussi is in a beautiful location. The rooms are fairly small but the bathroom is nice. Airconditioning doesn't seem to work all that well. YOu have to pay extra for wi fi which is kind of a rip. Not only that but it doesn't work in your room. The breakfast was nice. Marco in the restaurant is an exceptional waiter and did all he could to make us happy. It's the little things this resort needs to do to become exceptional.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 3 June 2011

We were very happy with our accomodations. We had a little villa with a lovely patio area to enjoy the sun and the scenery. We woke every morning to birds singing and a view out our bedroom window that was to die for. The staff were so friendly and helpful. The restaurant was excellent and reasonably priced. The place exceeded our expectations and is very accurately portrayed by their photos. Its a good location to drive around Tuscany or just to sit by the pool and relax. We would love to go back again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 30 April 2011

This is an amazing place, I have never stayed anywhere like it. The location is a bit hard to find (be sure you get detailed directions, and a map) but once you get there, you think you are in heaven. The views are spectacular, and exactly what the pictures on the website show. Our room was large with a comfortable bed, but the lighting was not that great for reading. The restaurant was very good and the food prices were very reasonable. They do close at least one night a week, so you need a car to go to other places for dinner. I went swimming in the pool, which is also very beautiful. The whole place is amazingly clean. The service was very good both from the reception staff and the restaurant staff.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cath2oli
SRQ
Reviewed 26 October 2010

While driving into the property, I pinched myself. The property is immaculate in design and care. There are olive groves and an amazing swimming pool. Separate and unique buildings offer rooms of varied sizes and amenities. Ours was simple yet quite pleasant. The negative came when I turned off the light to sleep after a long and wonderful day. The walls so paper thin, I thought I was being offered wine and a dance with another group in the building. However technologically literate I am, I could not turn the heat on, so layered up in clothing to stay warm. The mattress was also uncomfortable. When I showered in the morning, water sprayed everywhere as the shower head would not adjust.
In summary, the superficial appearance of style falls short in reality - especially for the price.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank sarahsi
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2010

This hotel is pretty unusual. As other reviewers have said, it's a mixed bag. Firstly the good points:
The views are amazing and the sense of being in the middle of the Tuscan countryside is wonderful. The building are all interesting and varied with great attention paid to what must have been an expensive renovation. The rooms are kept very clean and the grounds and pool are generally spotless. This is a great location for exploring Tuscany, despite it being quite isolated. A car is a necessity - I really recommend getting out and exploring the local area.
As you might expect I have quite a few bad points, which for me spoiled the stay at this hotel. A big gripe is the airconditioning. Our room had a very small window so the aircon was needed, even in September, for a comfortable sleep and to keep insects out. The first night, it wasn't working at all so we asked at reception and were told that they didn't think anyone would want it on, so they had turned it off for the whole resort. It stayed on for 2 nights and was then deactivated again which meant that 50% of the time we were there, we didn't sleep well.
I'm sure some rooms are lovely, but ours (a classic double) was small even by city standards, very very dark (the lights were very dim also), with a minute portable television (not that there's anything on in english except the almost unbearable CNN). There was no bath, only a shower. The walls were pretty thin and we could hear people talking in other rooms. There is no useful information in the bedroom info pack about things to do locally. You get one pillow each and that's it. The wardrobe had a collection of Dolcis and M&S coathangers (about 5) which weren't enough. I mean - come on! The last time I had a wardrobe like that was in 1985 in a Weymouth boarding house! You can't get an iron or ironing board in your room - you have to go to the dungeon like laundry room and buy some tokens for it. Our room was directly above the restaurant and on 2 occasions I was awoken by what I assume was the kitchen staff setting breakfast up to their favourite pumping choones on the hifi - not good enough I'm afraid.
The pool is nice, but not heated at all (it is actually pretty cold) and there is no pool service of any kind. You have to go down to the bar which is ok, it has a small terrace. It would be lot nicer if you could sit there with a drink and enjoy the view in peace, but they insist on playing blaring pop music from the bar which absolutely ruins the experience. The bar closes pretty early at 1930.
I found the staff to be actually quite unfriendly at times. On checking out I queried a couple of items on the poorly made up bill and was met with utter hostility. They will help you with finding out things to do if you don't mind waiting for 30 minutes while they answer the phone. The manageress swept in and out now and again but made no effort to talk to guests. We asked on arrival if we could stay an extra night and were told they would get back to us that evening - they couldn't be bothered, which was lucky because we were actually pretty pleased to go in the end.
I found a few things to be charged extra which I would have expected to be free - you have to rent towels for the pool. The internet is not free (3 Euro for 30 mins). I needed to use the internet on one occasion - it took 3 minutes to open Gmail, which is pretty frustrating when you have limited time. You are charged a fee for losing any of your keycards.
The restaurant is ok but I wouldn't recommend more than one meal there. Inside there is little atmosphere. The food was good in the evening. Breakfast is ok, but you sit outside which is nice for the great view (with the exception of the heavy duty buzzing powerlines, wasps and cigarette/cigar smoke wafting across your food). I'm not a rabid anti-smoker but we seemed to spend most of our time at the pool or the restaurant in a cloud of other guests cigarette smoke which was most unpleasant.
The guests seem to be a mixed bunch from couples to families. One thing I must say - I would not recommend this resort for a honeymoon. Their website is very nice and shiny, but the photos are actually fairly misleading. This is not a quiet hideaway in the countryside - it is trying to attract all kinds of guests and this means there is a large children's pool with play area right next to the main pool. It is NOT that peaceful!
There are other dining options in the local village. Despite what the reception staff will tell you, you can quite safely walk up the road and back again. It is a steep climb but worth it. There is a superb restaurant in the village which is far superior to what's on offer at the Borgo. I thoroughly recommend it.
Overall I think this place is trying to be too many things to too many people. It needs to concentrate on providing peace and relaxation for people. I would not recommend it to friends at the moment - there must be better places out there.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cavriglia
8.5 km away
Hotel del Lago
Hotel del Lago
#2 of 2 in Cavriglia
7.2 km away
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive Tuscan Resort & Spa
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive ...
#1 of 8 in Gaiole in Chianti
10.4 km away
Palazzo Leopoldo Dimora Storica & Spa
Palazzo Leopoldo Dimora Storica ...
#2 of 15 in Radda in Chianti
13.7 km away
Hotel Villa Campomaggio Resort & Spa
Hotel Villa Campomaggio Resort &...
#1 of 15 in Radda in Chianti
11.9 km away
Hotel Antica Tabaccaia
Hotel Antica Tabaccaia
#4 of 5 in Terranuova Bracciolini

Been to Fontebussi Tuscan Resort? Share your experiences!