“Fab service and great food”

Gasthaus Koppenrast
Ranked #1 of 11 Restaurants in Obertraun
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 19 October 2017 via mobile

Recommended by our hosts at Landhaus Lilly as the best in the area and we quickly saw why. A very short taxi ride (taxi Rastl in the village was great) from Obertraun turned out to be a wise move as our hosts added to our education of local schnapps after an excellent meal.

Spoilt for choice, I went for the Hirschragout - venison spicy stew with noodles. So good I kept trying it throughout our 4 day stay at different restaurants but it never reached these standards again. My non-meat wife, at first sight of the menu, felt a bit limited but a very friendly conversation with first our waiter then the owner resulted in a specially prepared seafood risotto which wasn’t on the menu which was also outstanding.

Probably a little pricier than other local restaurants, but difficult to tell as we didn’t hold back on the wine and schnapps, and anyway, worth every penny!

Stylish decor inside, warm and friendly atmosphere and service that genuinely made you feel very welcome. Well worth the short trip from Hallstatt or Obertraun.

2  Thank Richmond_Dean

Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

We got a recommendation from the owner of Grüner Agner penzion. The restaurant offers a selection of local ingredients. We had fish with potatoes and salads. We really enjoyed it.

Reviewed 30 September 2017 via mobile

I read the reviews before going and was prepared for good food but it went way beyond expectations. I ordered a mushroom risotto with pink beef and my husband had the braised beef with pureed potato and root vegetables. Both were superb and was definitely the best meal I've had for a long time. Desserts were equally good, classic creme brulee with berries. It had passion fruit sorbet on the side which was superfluous. The other was a generous serving of high quality chocolate mousse with berries.
Fabulous meal to remember our fabulous week in beautiful Hallstatt.

Reviewed 17 September 2017

The locals describe this as fine dining however this could be misleading. Unlike restaurants back home this implies getting dressed up and receiving very formal service. This is not the case, my wife and I went in relaxed attire, and the atmosphere was very nice but more casual than formal. The service was good but not pretentious. I started my meal with the pumpkin soup and had the deer ragout, both were exceptional in flavour and presentation. My wife enjoyed her starter salad and had their weiner schnitzel. Desert consisted of two dough it type balls with fresh berries and sauce and ice cream, again very good. Overall a very good dining experience but you will find the prices at this restaurant to be higher than most others but bear in mind quality has a price.

Reviewed 15 September 2017

The food here is very good. Every dish I tried was excellent, I especially liked the beef with vegetables and potato chips and for dessert the dumplings. It is worth making the trip, just be aware it is crowded so you might have to wait a bit for a table.