All reviews the pub private beach golf course dining room pine lodge indoor pool lake huron electric fireplace hot tub the main lodge round of golf buffet dinner buffet style get away games room the room was nice off season
Reviewed 1 August 2016 via mobile

Recently stayed at the oakwood resort for a family get away. The grounds are nice. Stayed in the pine lodge. It doesn't have an elevator so for luggage that makes it a little difficult.
One thing that was a major disappointment was how dirty the pool was. They have an indoor pool only. Not clean at all. Garbage all around it too (which people themselves are rude for not throwing out themselves). The loungers around the pool are in major need of upgrade as they are old and ripping. It has an indoor hot tub and an outdoor hot tub which are also dirty unfortunately.
Has a nice beach access close by. Around a 5 minute walk. There is nothing there so you need to bring your own beach chairs and such. They give you beach towels to take but they are around the size of a hand towel so you should consider bringing your own.
Location wise it is nice and close to the main strip of grand bend but it's still a drive to get there.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
OakwoodResort, Manager at Oakwood Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2016

Thank you for your review and your feedback! We do our best to keep the pool clean and well maintained, unfortunately with the number of guests coming through the area it does get a little cluttered in between cleanings. We will make a point to keep a closer eye on this area. I am glad to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 30 July 2016

What a wonderful place. When I was searching for a place to spend a few days with my wife and daughter I wanted to ensure that it was not a bates motel or worse. Well I must stay, the rooms in the Oak Lodge are well appointed. Spacious with 2 Queen beds, Sony TV, Ice cold A/C, Mini Fridge and patio. I was on the first floor and the end unit with the view of the grounds and first hole of the golf course.

What I found odd was having to pay for my stay in full at check in. That was a first for me in all my travels (aside from an all inclusive flight/hotel package). Normally they take an inprint of your C/C (which they did) and then you pay at check out. I guess in a way it is smart so that you don't have to worry about it later. Paid and done.

Here is a full report of the resort and my experience:

Check In: Fast, Helpful, ready to answer all questions and gave me a map of the resort and how to get about.

Room (143): Oak Lodge: Two nice Queen Beds with plenty of pillows, desk with lamp, Dresser with Sony TV, mini fridge, fireplace and A/C. Upon entering the room the AC was on but seemed too hot, and the fridge was warm. I called front desk and within less than 5 min a gentleman from Housekeeping showed up. The AC is a little tricky. It has a remote and you have to ensure that you hear the fan from the AC (which is outside kicks in and is spinning) once you hear that you can adjust the settings on the remote. For the Fridge the Red Button was pressed in which was the Defrost. He turned the dial to the right which popped out the red button and then slowly turned it until you heard the fan kick in. (leave the wood door open to allow the fridge to keep itself ventilated). Coffee maker in room, nice size tub, good water pressure.

Oakwood Dining Room: We went here for the dinner buffet since my daughter to a super long nap it was getting late so we decided to go there since she ate free. The adult price of almost $30 is not worth it. The food choices were limited for a buffet. Ham!!! Not even prime rib or roast...HAM! The chicken was ok. The potatoes were not even given a rustic chop, it seemed as if the just dumped the whole bag into boiling water and said ok serve them. I know this will turn some stomachs, but there appears to be an ant problem on the resort. I could see ants running around the grilled vegetables and salads at the buffet. The deserts and coffee were great I will give them that. Service was good too.

The Pool: A hop skip and a jump from our room. Nice enclosed pool. Shallow, I think the max depth is just under 2 meters. Bromine instead of Chlorine so your eyes don't burn and you do not smell bleachy when you get out. Sauna is there as well and an indoor hot tub. BEWARE the HOT TUB. It was SUPER HOT!

Beach: About a five minute walk from our room, If you are bringing beach chairs, umbrellas, etc it could seem longer. Once you get to the beach it is a steep hill to go down but it is private and only people from the resort and the few cottage owners use it. The day we went the surf was a little rough. Water Shoes are a MUST, unless you are okay with walking on pebbles and rocks. If you have a small child (like myself) please invest in either a life jacket or floaties for the water, and stay within arms length. The water here is a little more shallow than the main beach.

Golf: I don't golf, but with the cost being as low as it is, I was tempted. I believe it was $35 for a round and then $30 after 3 pm. They have motorized carts to rent, a pro shop and snack shop all close to the Oak Dining room.

Dave's Pub and Grill: Sorry I did not go so I cannot comment

Distance to main strip: Depending on how fast you walk it should be no more than a 15 min walk.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family

Thank you so much for your thorough review! We appreciate all the feedback and are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were able to take advantage of all the great things Oakwood has to offer!

Reviewed 30 July 2016

My husband and I stayed at the Oakwood for one night just to have a little get-away. It was our first time at Oakwood and we were very impressed. All of the staff persons we encountered were very helpful and went out of their way to do whatever they could to make our stay enjoyable. We purchased a package that included a buffet dinner and a buffet breakfast. Both buffets were awesome with a wide variety of fresh and delicious choices.

We are not golfers - but we do love the beach. Oakwood has a very short walk to a beautiful beach where we watched the sunset in the evening. The next morning we walked along the beach into Grand Bend. It was about a 15 minute walk, and was much nicer than driving and trying to find a parking spot.

Our guest room was clean and comfortable. It had a nice patio with chairs for sitting out. Our patio faced trees and the golf course and had a quiet, peaceful feeling.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Oak Lodge, at the end of the hallway, facing the golf course. It was a perfect location.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ruth Ann S

Thank you for your review, it is great to hear that you enjoyed your first stay with us so much. We look forward to having you visit us again soon!

Reviewed 27 July 2016

We stayed at the resort July 22/23 for a family wedding. I had previously only visited once for dinner many, many years ago.

I wasn't sure what to expect as I had read some reviews, and they are mixed, but as always kept an open mind. We checked in at 3pm, along with MANY other people. It was clearly a busy weekend and only 2 staff checking people it. It took longer than it should have, however the staff were moving as fast as they could.

We stayed in the Longwood building and our room was nice. It has been updated and was clean. It definitely isn't comparable to a high end hotel, but very nice nonetheless. It was actually quite spacious, large bedroom area, large closet and bathroom. We easily could have stayed multiple days (maybe a week) with a room that size. This building (long, one level, motel style) also provides a front and back patio for each room which was super handy.

We had a few events to attend at the resort that were part of the wedding festivities and we found all the venues to be extremely well maintained, staff courteous and attentive.

The walk to the beach takes about 5 minutes, and it's worth it! This area is known for it's world class beaches and the private Oakwood beach is no different. Sandy, clean and not over populated. It's beautiful!!

Overall we really enjoyed our stay. The grounds are beautiful. Everything is well maintained and clean. The staff are all exceptional - incredibly accommodating and helpful. While I wouldn't say this is in the same caliber as a high end resort, I would say it's still wonderful. Think of it as upscale, cottage/cabin resort, with golf, beach, pool, hot tub, pub....all a stone's throw from the main strip in Grand Bend. Definitely a great getaway.

My only negative review is the price. Yikes. Quite steep. The only reason I opted to stay here was because we wanted to be on site for the wedding festivities. Our 2 night tally was $450.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review and for all your wonderful comments. I am so pleased to hear that you so thoroughly enjoyed your stay!

Reviewed 27 July 2016 via mobile

Been here a couple of times now. Seem to keep coming back, we love it here. Staff, food and grounds are great. The beach is just a short walk away. The sunset every night is a must. The rooms are spacious and clean.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
OakwoodResort, Manager at Oakwood Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2016

Thank you for your review, we appreciate the feedback and your continued patronage.