All reviews cape breton tourist home room was clean large bathroom other guests would stay here again cabot trail sandy host driveway gateway luggage accommodations deck
Reviewed 5 November 2017

Our room was very spacious with it's own french door to a small decked area. It was very clean and we had a good breakfast. We didn't have a choice in timing for breakfast (it was 7.30am) which worked ok for us. There were eating options in Port Hawkesbury but as this B & B was on the edge of the town we chose to drive to find somewhere..it maybe walkable but we deemed it a bit too far.

Reviewed 22 October 2017

This is what was advertised - a Tourist Home. It is the owners home and you get a room for the night and a good solid breakfast. This is not really a typical B&B experience. The room was clean. The breakfast good and hearty. Some noise from the highway traffic might be expected.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wendy S
Reviewed 17 October 2017

Very nice modern property , lovely sized bedroom and good sized bathroom, well decorated, there was lots of hanging space. The room we were in had a door out to a little deck area with chairs and a table. Nice little settee in the room to relax and watch the TV. There is a Guest laundry it costs $7? this includes washing powder. There was not really enough parking, and Sandy was not there when we arrived, the young man next door was standing in and gave us our key and showed us to our room. we did have a letter of welcome informing us that breakfast would be at 7:30, we were on holiday not at boot camp! The breakfast was very nice and served by a very pleasant lady called Treasa.

Reviewed 7 October 2017

I recently stayed at the Mackenzie House. The rooms were clean in a nice home. Breakfast was a good hot meal. My complaint with staying there is that I when I went to pay for our room, the price had gone up considerably from my confirmation. I was quoted $98 (plus tax) and I was charged $148.35 (plus tax). I had not seen the owner Sandy until I brought him my email confirmation. His response was that it was an old website then he turned and walked away. There was to be no honouring of the quoted price. Very disappointed!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Donfras, Owner at Mackenzie House Tourist Home, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2017

Unfortunately Tracey M found an older web site which indicated a rate for the room five years ago. I have attempted to have this removed but I am unable to change it.
It is advisable to check with the property directly to confirm the reservation and the price at the time of the booking as there are many different prices for rooms on the internet.
It is unfortunate that this guest was disappointed with the price. She did not express her disappointment directly to me or any of my employees to my knowledge.

Reviewed 27 September 2017

Just to add to what others have said about the absent personnel--breakfast was a new experience. Our note taped to the door stated that our breakfast would be at 7:30. We called and he agreed to let us come at 8. We arrived at 7:58 and sat at the table. Within a couple of minutes the owner came in and announced that their time was over and the 8 am folks needed to be seated. No one bothered to clear the dirty dishes so we pushed them aside. Potatoes and sausage were previously frozen but were served hot. It makes for a good story but not at the time it was unfolding.

Room Tip: Room 2 has an outside entrance but don't fall on the rotted stair leading to the deck
Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple