All reviews cape breton tourist home room was clean large bathroom other guests would stay here again cabot trail sandy host driveway gateway luggage accommodations deck
Reviewed 17 October 2017

Very nice modern property , lovely sized bedroom and good sized bathroom, well decorated, there was lots of hanging space. The room we were in had a door out to a little deck area with chairs and a table. Nice little settee in the room to relax and watch the TV. There is a Guest laundry it costs $7? this includes washing powder. There was not really enough parking, and Sandy was not there when we arrived, the young man next door was standing in and gave us our key and showed us to our room. we did have a letter of welcome informing us that breakfast would be at 7:30, we were on holiday not at boot camp! The breakfast was very nice and served by a very pleasant lady called Treasa.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2017

I recently stayed at the Mackenzie House. The rooms were clean in a nice home. Breakfast was a good hot meal. My complaint with staying there is that I when I went to pay for our room, the price had gone up considerably from my confirmation. I was quoted $98 (plus tax) and I was charged $148.35 (plus tax). I had not seen the owner Sandy until I brought him my email confirmation. His response was that it was an old website then he turned and walked away. There was to be no honouring of the quoted price. Very disappointed!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Donfras, Owner at Mackenzie House Tourist Home, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2017

Unfortunately Tracey M found an older web site which indicated a rate for the room five years ago. I have attempted to have this removed but I am unable to change it.
It is advisable to check with the property directly to confirm the reservation and the price at the time of the booking as there are many different prices for rooms on the internet.
It is unfortunate that this guest was disappointed with the price. She did not express her disappointment directly to me or any of my employees to my knowledge.

Reviewed 27 September 2017

Just to add to what others have said about the absent personnel--breakfast was a new experience. Our note taped to the door stated that our breakfast would be at 7:30. We called and he agreed to let us come at 8. We arrived at 7:58 and sat at the table. Within a couple of minutes the owner came in and announced that their time was over and the 8 am folks needed to be seated. No one bothered to clear the dirty dishes so we pushed them aside. Potatoes and sausage were previously frozen but were served hot. It makes for a good story but not at the time it was unfolding.

Room Tip: Room 2 has an outside entrance but don't fall on the rotted stair leading to the deck
Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2017

A very disappointing experience at this bed and breakfast. No host greeting us when we arrived, just a note on the door telling us to check ourselves in. No one available to offer information about the area or recommend a place to have dinner. In fact, although the owner was barely visible in the kitchen in the morning, he never came to meet any guests or welcome them. This task was left to his worker at breakfast time. Breakfast was fine, but pretty basic. Look for a more welcoming bed and breakfast in the area.

Room Tip: Choose a different bed and breakfast.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Donfras, Owner at Mackenzie House Tourist Home, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2017

We try very hard to provide our guests with a service which is personalized. Our check in time is after three o'clock but many arrive in the early afternoon and others arrive as late as eleven at night. Most guests do not indicate their time of arrival making it difficult to greet them at the door due to other commitments at the property and the need to carry out activities throughout the area such as groceries, post office, supplies, post office, etc,.

In the event we are not at the door when guests arrive a welcome note is placed on the door providing them with a welcome and information. Their room number, parking area, access to the internet, their assigned time for breakfast, the key to the room and our contact number are provided in the note. Guests are requested to call us upon arrival indicating to us of their arrival and providing us with any questions about the property or the area. Many times we go to the assigned room to assist with directions, recommendations and preferences. We are available through the use of our cell phones on a continuing basis whether we are around the property or doing tasks throughout the area.

A full hot breakfast is served to all guests in the dining room where guests gather to share their experiences and relate to people from other parts of the world. There are times when the owner will enter the conversations among the guests at his discretion if time in the morning tasks allows and he is not interfering with a good discussion at the table which happens most often.

The breakfast includes juice, coffee or tea, cereals, toast, hash browns, bacon or sausage, and eggs prepared for the guests at their request.

It is unfortunate that some guests are not completely satisfied with the service we offer but we try very hard to use our time most efficiently in meeting the requirements of running such a property.

Reviewed 31 August 2017

Like others have said, there was no personal contact when we arrived, just a note on the door. The house is a typical subdivision house no bells or whistles. The room was large and comfortable, but we had trouble with finding light switches and the bathroom outlet was tempermental.- had to plug my hairdryer into an outlet in the bedroom. Breakfast was good. This still might be your best bet in Port Hawksbury as we didn't see much of anything there. Restaurants seemed scarce also.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple