“Starting to disappoint”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I had great hopes for this place but it isn't delivering at the moment. The menu hasn't changed - the portions are good but let's not pretend this isn't Chef quality, it is ping food you would make at home. That's not a problem if that's what you want but if you are expecting home made pies and dishes with a Chefs touch, this isn't available here. The Golden Lion which competes for the same market does have a Chef and prices are very competitive. Visitors need to be aware of the "Club Bolt" nights, apparently a drive to attract younger clientele which is great for kids but not if you don't want underage drinkers crowding the bar area and getting "drunk happy". Unfortunately, there was a confrontation at the bar between the Landlord and some "guests" which resulted in less than savoury language from the hosts which to be honest is disappointing to say the least. Hospitality, is hospitality, there is a way to speak to clients and this was not the way. This type of behaviour lead to the demise of this pub previously under the old management, time will tell! I'm afraid to say the pub scene in Leyburn is pretty dire and many locals are now frequenting nearby Wensley and Richmond.

3  Thank Andrew W
Kris O, Owner at The Leyburn Bolton Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Hello Andrew.
I will not thank you for your review, as it is utter rubbish and totally incorrect!

I will reply to your points.

The menu is extensive and home made. As the owner and chef I can reassure people reading your false review that our pies are home made and top notch. If you need this clarifying...go ask Kev the local butcher where my meat for my pies is supplied from!!

You sir are ignorant and have no concept of food.

In addition, we have introduced home made stone baked pizzas!!

With regards to Club Bolt. I am the pub watch chairman and do not tolerate underage drinkers or drunken behaviour!
The average age member of Club Bolt is 37 and strictly by membership. Once again false information you are giving with a touch of ignorance!

There was a confrontation is here Saturday night, between people over the age 40 and they were sober and it had nothing to do with the pub!! I am the landlord and there was no foul language from myself and the situation was dealt with in the correct manner.

The pub scene in Leyburn is not in a dire state and I can reassure anyone reading your review that this pub grows from strength to strength!!

Indeed time will tell, and the only negative about the pub is the fact that you have given a fabricated, ignorant review!!

May I suggest, that if you cannot write honest constructive reviews that you hang up your keyboard warrior coat, and let honest people with real reviews take the stage.

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Arrived in Leyburn late after travelling all day and went in Bolton arms for a pint or two with my wife after checking in to our B&B. Sat in front of the fire in a really pleasant atmosphere, good beer, good service, friendly people. Would definitely come here again.

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank Tony G
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Fab first impressions. The pub looks great from outside and there was a huge roaring fire in the main room as you walk in. Absolutely perfect for a bitterly cold, blustery Easter Saturday. Unfortunately there were too many of us to fit in the main pub, which was already pretty busy. We were shown through to the restaurant room at the back and allowed to move tables for our party of 11.

Extensive menu of main meals and snacks. They didn't have any children's menus printed but could quickly recount what was available. Portions on arrival were very generous, especially the children's meals. Everyone was pleased with what they got. Staff were friendly and happy to help.

The one drawback was ordering the food. Our large party was made up of 3 smaller family groups. For ease we ordered separately. Unfortunately this took AGES. The lady taking the meal order was doing this on her own and serving the drinks (for each order) at the same time. This meant that each order took a good 5 minutes to get through. As it was lunchtime there were other people waiting to order too. Watching and waiting, I kept thinking of all the other ways in which it could have been done quicker. Because of the lengthy wait, we all received food and drinks at different times. Suggestions would be to either a) take all food orders and then process drinks separately or b) ask another member of staff to sort the drinks (there did seem to be 2 other staff ... One on the main bar and another floating around) - one could have helped out (in my opinion).

Once the ordering was out of the way, it was a pleasant experience.

2  Thank Ginger_Rachel
Reviewed 3 April 2018

Popped in on the Thursday night for food before Good Friday. Warm friendly bar staff. Great Black Sheep beer (Holy Grail is a favourite) we ordered food the starters were larger than we imagined, but still managed to squeeze our mains in. Had to skip dessert though. We'd come again the next time we're passing through.

1  Thank Pyklet
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Went for a Sunday dinner here, food was good, the service was fairly quick and the staff were friendly. There was a slight mix up on the meals but it was corrected immediately. It is pub grub but good pub grub.

1  Thank Peter W