“Such tasty food ”

Crab Shack on the beach
Ranked #10 of 85 Restaurants in Teignmouth
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We are a family of commercial fisherman with two working fishing boats. The Crab Shack is a small restaurant on the back beach in Teignmouth where we serve fresh seafood.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

From the warm welcome as we walked through the door through to the excellent service from the cheerful staff and of course the fabulous food, the whole evening was an absolute delight. The panacotta was heavenly. We couldn’t fault the evening!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,166)

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Firstly, you need to book. Small place especially when the weather is bad and outdoor space is closed.
Great ambience and service.
We had great meal , superb platter. Also, our boy had the bolognaise ( not a seafood fan ) and it was really good.
Crab was a good size and prawns were plentiful... my only slight gripe was overhearing the waitress chatter at the counter. Not bad, but not really for public consumption :)

Reviewed 5 April 2018

This restaurant came highly recommended last year but we’ve only just got around to going to Teignmouth. No doubt the food was of a high standard, and the service was friendly and informative. There’s a school of thought that says you should finish a meal wanting more - and I did! I ordered the large mussels with cider, leek and bacon sauce. It was very nice indeed, and there were some pretty big mussels in there, but despite adding a portion of rustic fries (which, in fairness, I shared with my wife and son) and an assortment of breads (in addition to the two slices that came with it), I rather felt that I should have been more full. Accordingly I went for a cheese course which included a choice of ports (if there’s a choice, I wasn’t offered it) and my son chose ice-cream with candy floss (sorry - there’s no candy floss). Don’t get me wrong - we enjoyed our meal but, on balance, I felt at £80 for three of us (just the one beer and two soft drinks) it was a little underwhelming.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

Tripadvisor should start restaurants from scratch when the ownership has changed!! The rave reviews for the Crabshack are now no longer pertinent.
Arrived at midday, barely sat down when the waitress, full of herself, demanded our coats and bags. Still sorting ourselves out, she went on the attack again ('there'll be people sitting next to you with no room"). Finally surrendered our coats to please and hid the bags under the table. Half our group were there but we were asked to select a drink. No problem. The other half arrived, menus were distrubuted which were in addition to what was posted on the chalkboard. We hadn't seen each other for a long time so for about 10 minutes, we were catching up on news, but three times we were told that we had to order because our table was only reserved until 2.30pm!!!! And the manner in which we were told was like a headmistress admonishing 5-year olds.

There were three fish options (market prices only given), plenty of extras (fries, broccoli etc all at around £4 per portion). We ordered a bottle of wine (around £16) then we ordered the food. Another sullen waitress arrived...we asked for the bream, only two available, one small at £18 and a bigger one at £20. One of our group wanted monkfish (again only two sizes available and more expensive)-no clear pricing from the start but, of course, they'll find an excuse for this. We each ordered our fish then added side dishes of 2 fries, some vegetables and bread (yes, you have to pay for bread!!). You can choose your sauces so we chose three. Off went the waitress only to return telling us that as we hadn't ordered butter on our fish, the chef couldn't cook it without!! Odd as I thought the bream would be grilled but no, it seems it is fried and then oven-baked so the chef needed some butter - eventually, the even moodier and sarcastic waitress returned to tell us the fish would be cooked in oil.

After that, we endured about 15 minutes hearing the waitresses slagging us off behind the bar... not a pleasant dining experience at all. The food was plonked down in front of us as if we were the worst customers ever. The fish was well-cooked but well over-priced, ditto for the vegetables and bread. The waitress was quick to replace the empty wine bottle. We were aware that the clock was ticking, so no desserts or coffee. We paid (£150 for 4) and left. Will not be returning. Now let's wait for the defensive justifications from the senstive owner!!

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We went to the Crab Shack for the first time today.. was A—mazing.

We sat at the Skippers Table which was in a coat corner of the restaurant and great for families and small groups. We had mussels, scallops and my daughter had spaghetti bolognese. All affordable and not over-priced despite quality of food!

The service was friendly and pleasant!

Go Now!!