“Disappointed, tired and dated apartments.”

Las Buganvillas Apartments
Ranked #38 of 67 Hotels in Puerto Rico
Reviewed 7 October 2016

We had booked a self catering holiday at The Eden apartments with Travel Republic and on arrival we were told by the receptionist that unfortunately our booking had been passed onto another company and we had would be staying in Eden Annex also known as Las Buganvllas. The receptionist was very sorry about it as we have stayed at Eden apartments many times but we said we were OK with it as we had also stayed in Las Buganvillas many times, the last time being about 8 years ago.
We arrived about 9.30pm to the Buganvillas and we were in an upstairs room with a lovely big balcony that catches the sun all day. We walked in the apartment and it was exactly as we had left them 8 years ago so as you can imagine.....very dated. The bed settee and tables have very badly chipped paintwork and on closer inspection we noticed the bed settee had very badly stained covers on it and it was also broken.....it was propped up with a brick! Curtains were hanging down in every room. We started to unpack, plenty of hanging space in the mirrored sliding door wardrobes but not many hangers but I always take extra myself. A bedside cabinet with two drawers at the side of each bed, great! My husband opened his drawer to find a cockroach in it, he then looked in the one below and was also one in there. He didn't bother using the drawers!
Lovely comfy beds. Bedding was changed once during our two week stay.
The bathroom has a shower cubicle which most days when showering water leaked onto the floor and the hot water doesn't last very long so don't hang about in the shower. Towels were changed every other day during our stay and the apartment cleaned every other day.
No kettle or microwave and not much cupboard space for food when self catering.
The next morning I went to the reception at Buganvillas to ask for a kettle and the friendly receptionist gave me the last one which to be fair was only fit for the bin and she did seem embarrassed about it. I also reported the cockroaches in the bedside cabinet and she said she would have the room fumigated which she did. The settee was also fixed but that should have been done before we entered the room. Also the batteries had gone in the safe so the receptionist also had to get someone out to sort that.
We were passing the Eden reception and the receptionist there asked how we were getting on. We told what had been happening and within 5 minutes a brand new kettle was delivered to our room. Also someone who looked rather important came and looked at our propped up settee.
A few days into our holiday I was closing the balcony window and and part of the metal window frame fell off nearly hitting me on the head. I went to reception to report it but it had already been reported by the pool bar owner. I think everyone heard it by the pool as it dropped with a right clang onto the tiled floor.
The complex has a pool bar which plays a good range of music, not too loud either. The only loudness comes from the pool bar owners, especially Myra who does seem to like the sound of her own voice. We didn't use the bar as it does seem to be very clicky.
The first week we did struggle for sunloungers. A lot of people put their towels on them and would then disappear till late afternoon. The second week was much better.
TV and Wi Fi has to be paid for but we didn't bother so not sure on the price. Plenty of bars and restaurants across the road in the Europa Centre have free Wi Fi.
The Buganvillas has a good sized pool area with well kept grounds. The apartments themselves are a decent size. Its just such a shame they have had no money spent on them.....all they need are a bit of TLC!
We feel we were ripped off and no way are these apartments worth what we paid for them.

Room Tip: We had a room on the back so didn't hear noise from Europa Centre we were near the pool bar so...
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Rachel G

Reviewed 28 September 2016 via mobile

Myself and my husband have just returned from one of the worse holidays ever at the Eden annex. We arrived late evening and luckily the girl in reception was still there so we got our key and went up to one of the balcony rooms. The rooms were very dated not many sockets and in dire need of decorating. There was no kettle but when we went to reception next morning we asked for one and was given an old thing that just about made it through the two weeks. We then walked to the Eden hotel as we had paid all inclusive and thought they had put us a bit of food on - turns out that was what was available every night. I cannot express how bad the food is we soon realised we had made a terrible mistake going all inclusive. The salad bar was lovely, the soup was good and the drinks were served in glasses not plastic cups which you sometimes get with all inclusive. If you like cold chips and cold food you will find the food bearable. Every morning we asked for our breakfast to be heated up in the back and we tried the food a few evenings but ended up eating out most of the time. There was simply no choice, no variety and like I said the food is not kept warm so we was bitterly disappointed. Across the road is the Europa which luckily has plenty of restaurants or you can get a taxi down to the bottoms or around 4 euros so eating out is not a problem. The most disgusting part of our holiday was the maid service. Our bed was changed ONCE even dirty beds made up and you were lucky if the maids come every 2 days. On the Monday of our holiday there was a rare stormy day, the balcony was absolutely filthy from dirt that came off the umbrella. We mopped up as much as we could but the maids didn't come until the Thursday afternoon. We had to take our own bins out on the Wednesday cause they were overflowing and we had to get some cockroach spray as they were everywhere. We even bought one home in our case that had been under our bed. Reception staff was lovely but all in all it wasn't a great experience. We won't be recommending.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2016 via mobile

We stayed in the Eden annexe. There are good points and bad points. Firstly the outside and grounds are immaculately maintained. The annexe is separate from The Eden and is very quite and not crowded. It is located just opposite the Europa shopping centre which is good but is noisy at night. The rooms are cleaned and towels changed frequently. The beds were very comfortable. Now for the bad points. The tv and WiFi you had to pay for. Our plane was delayed and we arrived late when we got to the apartments we didn't know where to go after a while some woman from behind the bar gave us a key took our passports and left us to struggle up outside stairs with our suitcases and didn't tell us where anything was. Our apartment was not what was expected I didn't mind that it was dated but most of the furniture and fittings should have been thrown away along time ago. It was clean. It was very basic and didn't even have a kettle. In the morning the receptionist was very helpful and told us where everything was and that our meals were in The Eden that was behind the annexe. The staff and food there were good.
Overall it was a nice place but the apartment was very disappointing.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 August 2016 via mobile

We have just returned from two weeks at The Eden Annex, after thinking we had booked the Eden. Can't say how I pleased I am we were here and not the Eden.
Eden annex is so quiet, peaceful and clean.
Big thanks to Myra and Hose who run the bar, our children loved them, they even helped plan a birthday cake for my son and did a great bbq night.
Most people who stayed in the Eden chose to use the Eden annex pool ( even all inclusive guests) as the Eden was over crowded and sun beds were gone at 6am this did not happen at the Eden annex.
Will definitely return to the Eden annex.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 July 2016

Hi I booked to stay at Eden apartments with yourself and was disgusted to find that we was mis-sold our holiday from you guys. We paid for our holiday on your website with the pictures of a nice new complex and ended up in the annex of a hotel called Boungvilas just behind Eden apartments. I'm not being funny I always book accommodation by the pictures and I did not get what I paid for we was put in the annex which our first apartment the shower was flooded, urine around the toilet and on the wall. Cockroaches and lizards roaming around so we asked to be moved to the new part of the hotel, what we paid for even if I had to pay extra I was willing to and the only thing they did was move us upstairs to the same old rubbish part of the hotel and it didn't have air conditioning. The staff at the reception desk was nice upon arrival, then when I came back the next day for our passports after being photo copied the staff was unhelpful and unfriendly referring me to a seperate reception for the old run down annex which we was unfortunately staying in. The only thing we was told after kicking up a fuss is that we were allowed to use the pool facilities in the nice newer hotel which we actually paid for! I have bad breathing difficulties and the whole holiday was a nightmare I've never stayed in a hot country without air conditioning so this was not helping either. Upon arrival my phone stopped working and I asked the hotel if I could use there phone to call on the beach and complain as my mobile phone was broken. They said no even though I offered to pay them for the call! Another problem was no room service came every 3 days !!!! Even when they decided to show up, they made the bed with the same dirty sheets, what is that about ?! I've attached a picture of a crane I could see from my window which we could see everyday it was an utter eye sore. I would like something done as this can't be done miss - selling the holiday saying to people that we will be booked into a nice hotel and we don't get it, and get lumbered with the old annexe. To top it all off the crane as you can see in the picture everything put me off from flying with you guys again!

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple