“High expectations”

Price range: USD 8 - USD 79
Cuisines: Italian, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: The Grand has been voted on numerous occasions the Best Pub Dining Room in Australia. It is also currently the Only Pub in Australia to have been awarded a coveted Age Good Food Guide Chefs Hat (12 times). Long being regarded as an Institution of The Melbourne Dining scene it's combination of Fine dining Italian Restaurant, casual fun Pub bar, cracking beer garden and beautiful new private dining rooms brings a uniquely Melbourne offering for both travelers and locals alike.
Reviewed 19 September 2017

I learned about the reputation of the Grand Hotel quite some time ago and eventually I made time to have lunch there mid week. It was a Tuesday which generally is a quiet day for lunch in most places. The dining room had only 5 tables occupied. One of the tables however was made up of 6 people on a business lunch. Of the 6 people 2 of them needed to learn how to talk quietly. I really did not need to know the price on the Chinese market of whatever product it was they were trying to sell.

On to the food. The menu is strongly Italian. I ordered the fish of the day (blue eye) and my partner the veal. We both enjoyed the meal. My only complaint as such was there were 2 vegetables accompanying my fish and there was far too much shredded carrot.

A good selection of local and Italian wines is available. Because it was lunch we only had one glass of each.

Reviewed 18 September 2017 via mobile

Friends catch up and picked The Grand and so happy we did. Infusion reigned when we biked as they told us about their Yum Cha, but Italian style. Tossed up whether we should go another day for a-la-carte menu that yesterday :suited everyone do we though we would give it a go. Definitely not out last time, we will all absolutely revisit. Food was amazing . A large selection to suit everyone, even our Coeliac diner. Waitress was super helpful as she is coeliac as well. Every dish was our favourite until we had the next (lol), topped of by a delicious dessert. Couldn't fault the risottos, the meatballs, the croquettes we awesome and the pork dish was the absolute best. Lemon tarts and donuts at the end = heaven . Cost was unbelievably low for the amount of food we had. Wine list extensive and reasonably priced . Will definitely recommend this great restaurant to others. Looks are certainly deceiving as on the outside the pub looks a bit down but gosh inside it is amazing .

2  Thank Karen B
Reviewed 14 September 2017 via mobile

Went to this restaurant on spec to have a meal with our son. Very pleasantly surprised. The dining room is set up as a comfortable high end restaurant. The meals, predominantly Italian, are of high qualify. In particular, the pastas provided are cooked perfectly. A little expensive.

1  Thank Malvoleo
Reviewed 14 September 2017

About 6 months ago, my partner and I dined in the main dining room and were pleasantly surprised with how delicious the food was and how attentive the staff were. Based on that experience, I recently held a Ladies Lunch in one of the private dining rooms (Nesso Room) and I could not be happier with how it went.
The food and service were exceptional. Everyone who attended on the day could not speak more highly of their experience at the venue.
We will definitely be back and I'm sure our guests will too!
Thanks again to all the staff that assisted in organising the lunch and on the day.

1  Thank Christian T
Reviewed 4 September 2017

I would highly recommend this venue for any occasion. We had a private function in the Como Room, the night was enjoyed by all. The staff, service and food was excellent. Thank you.

1  Thank daniellapizzini